Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess we have different opinions on things. I don't think the model player comes to a university for 2 years and leaves without a degree in search of another school or to leave for the pros with an extremely slim shot of getting drafted. His age may make those options best for him which I can't fault him for but give me a break on the model player stuff. He used us for exposure. We used him for production. Now he broke up with us and is seeking a bigger spotlight.
Lol... sorry but that is goofy as hell.

Man, I wish he did not have that dead year and could have joined Cuse in January after he graduated. I think he would have been much more polished the past 2 years and would actually have a good shot getting in the league this year.

Lol... sorry but that is goofy as hell.

I agree 144%. Horrid taek by chugg.

Q's coaches and teammates still seem to dig him.
Gee? I wonder why??

Maybe because he's battled and practiced and played and lived with them for 2 years now?
This last year + in this bizarre pandemic, which made everything harder/worse/more challenging for everybody?

Anybody who has a problem with Q and what he's doing, is more about them, and not him.

Guess we have different opinions on things. I don't think the model player comes to a university for 2 years and leaves without a degree in search of another school or to leave for the pros with an extremely slim shot of getting drafted. His age may make those options best for him which I can't fault him for but give me a break on the model player stuff. He used us for exposure. We used him for production. Now he broke up with us and is seeking a bigger spotlight.
I don’t have a problem with criticizing some of the other players who left, but this is just a ridiculous hot take. It’s clear that QG still has a great relationship with his former coaches and teammates. Consider taking your cues from them.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that Q is leaving to go to a school where he can get guaranteed minutes and more opportunities to shoot and show off his game for the NBA. How will that happen at some of the schools he is being linked to like Alabama and Kentucky that are already loaded with gunners? I really like the kid and enjoyed watching him improve from his freshman year to his sophomore year and really had high hopes for him.

I hope he is getting good advice but it doesn't look that way. I think he would have played 30-35 mpg here next year. I don't buy the theory that JB Jr. would have taken his minutes. We are talking a different caliber of talent and JB would not play his son over a better player. Q would have had plenty of open looks with Buddy and Swider getting a lot of attention of the three point line. I'm beyond biased but I think he would have been much better off staying here, playing well in the ACC against top competition and taking the coaching that has helped him make so many dramatic improvements already.

When a kid like Q leaves, the system is broken.

D
Dino also has a way harder job than JB.
85 players vs. 13 players.
More high level BB players in our recruiting backyard than FB.

I got no problem with people who are down on Dino.
I got no problem admitting JB talking publicly and how he spins things has made more skeptical.

Bill Simmons when talking about Shaquille O’Neal’s career said it was a 3.68 GPA which is damn good but because Shaq did things his way it wasn’t as good as it could have been. The problem though is Shaq was convinced that 3.68 GPA was actually a 4.0 and he honestly thought it was a 4.0 even though it wasn’t based on what he did and how did things.

That is what I see in JB he probably has a 3.8 GPA which is damn good but he really thinks it’s a 4.0 and it’s not. You can’t tell him otherwise.

That is the problem. It’s damn good but the person in the mirror thinks it’s better when it’s not.

I believe JB right now thinks he is building rosters that can compete for NCs but they aren’t good enough I would hope though he knows that.
I don’t know if he does.
JB has been as full of himself and his abilities since he was a 20-something assistant coach. He’s never changed. He’s always been convinced he knows more than everyone else. But, yea, at this point his actual abilities as a coach aren’t as good as they once were and don’t fit well with today’s game and today’s players.

I'm not sure there's a better answer then Mike's regarding the Quincy situation. Its as simple as this and there's nothing more to it. People are trying to make this into something that it's not IMO.

Q: Why would Quincy Guerrier transfer if he does not go to the NBA? He would be a starter at Syracuse next season.

Mike:
I don’t think Quincy Guerrier’s decision to leave Syracuse is based on whether he’d start (he would) or even playing time (he would get minutes). I think it’s more about the role he would be asked to play.

As my colleague, Donna Ditota, wrote earlier this week, Guerrier wants to show pro scouts that he can play on the perimeter and make 3-point shots.

At Syracuse, Guerrier would be asked to provide inside scoring, rebound and, on occasion, step outside and shoot the three.

Ironically, the SU coaches are asking Guerrier to do what he’s best at, while he wants to prove to pro scouts that he’s good at something else.

If he doesn’t go pro, Guerrier will find another school and coach who will let him play the way he wants – or will tell him what he wants to hear and then utilize him in much the same way he was at SU.

I'm not sure there's a better answer then Mike's regarding the Quincy situation. Its as simple as this and there's nothing more to it. People are trying to make this into something that it's not IMO.

Q: Why would Quincy Guerrier transfer if he does not go to the NBA? He would be a starter at Syracuse next season.

Mike:
I don’t think Quincy Guerrier’s decision to leave Syracuse is based on whether he’d start (he would) or even playing time (he would get minutes). I think it’s more about the role he would be asked to play.

As my colleague, Donna Ditota, wrote earlier this week, Guerrier wants to show pro scouts that he can play on the perimeter and make 3-point shots.

At Syracuse, Guerrier would be asked to provide inside scoring, rebound and, on occasion, step outside and shoot the three.

Ironically, the SU coaches are asking Guerrier to do what he’s best at, while he wants to prove to pro scouts that he’s good at something else.

If he doesn’t go pro, Guerrier will find another school and coach who will let him play the way he wants – or will tell him what he wants to hear and then utilize him in much the same way he was at SU.

Hits the nail on the head. It also points to the reality of today's game. These kids just want to be out there shooting it from deep given the NBA game has plenty of teams going out there making 15 or 20 plus in most games.

If Q were to become that guy and do nothing but shoot 3s, he needs a really good handle. I actually would have loved to see him turn into more of a big 2 but he needs a lot of work to get there.

Hits the nail on the head. It also points to the reality of today's game. These kids just want to be out there shooting it from deep given the NBA game has plenty of teams going out there making 15 or 20 plus in most games.

If Q were to become that guy and do nothing but shoot 3s, he needs a really good handle. I actually would have loved to see him turn into more of a big 2 but he needs a lot of work to get there.
His HS tapes were all just him shooting 3's and straight line drives. I wonder if that was the role he envisioned before arriving at Syracuse.

Then he couldn't shoot at all his freshman year and realized that he had to use his body more in terms of scoring down low to be effective.

His HS tapes were all just him shooting 3's and straight line drives. I wonder if that was the role he envisioned before arriving at Syracuse.

Then he couldn't shoot at all his freshman year and realized that he had to use his body more in terms of scoring down low to be effective.

If you watched his appearance in the Canadian equivalent of the McDonald's AA game, he used his strength to work the baseline and repeatedly overpowered his defenders.

Keep in mind that not all transfer decisions are cut and dried based on perceived on court opportunities. For example, there are several players in the portal (none of ours to my knowledge) who are transferring becuase their current school is mandating Covid vaccines.

I mean kind of...but Q isn’t leaving because he felt he wasn’t being used correctly. He had almost free reign.

I mean kind of...but Q isn’t leaving because he felt he wasn’t being used correctly. He had almost free reign.

He was constantly screening for Buddy, always more of a banger around the rim and then getting a few open 3s. I wouldn't say he had free reign in terms of being a perimeter guy full time if that is what he wants.

I still think going pro is far more sensible of an explanation than transferring at his age but I'm not sure also what else we can offer him that would benefit everyone involved.

Last edited:

Mike:

The Hell happened to Frankie's arm?

Something to watch with Quincy: Kentucky has hired 2 former Illinois assistants, including Cal’s boy Antigua. Illinois was a finalist along with us and Oregon the first time around for Quincy. Kentucky and Georgetown are the two schools on Quincy’s list I would despise seeing him go to.

JB has been as full of himself and his abilities since he was a 20-something assistant coach. He’s never changed. He’s always been convinced he knows more than everyone else. But, yea, at this point his actual abilities as a coach aren’t as good as they once were and don’t fit well with today’s game and today’s players.
I think JB's abilities as a game time coach rival anyones in the game today.

I think you are mistaking a tough, non-connecting attitude, with being a poor coach. There has been a covid curve ball that has put many coaches and rosters into chaos. Pandering, lying, coaches could experience a short term boost. After JB weathers this covid storm, SU will be fine.

Probably frustrating when he shoots 31% from 3 and is chastised for it but then another guy has been at 32 and 33% through 2 years and is fine to jack up 10 in a game with little ever said about it.
JB didn’t chastise Quincy for shooting 3s this season. Did you not hear all the praise be heaped on his 3-point shooting improvements and how he thought he’d be an even better 3 point shooter next season? Look, JB’s rotations and player/roster management are ripe for criticism, but it’s crazy to suggest that JB didn’t do all he could to develop Quincy and showcase what Quincy could do best. Q is getting bad advice and making a mistake in deciding to transfer if he doesn’t declare for the draft. But I guess it’s his mistake to make. It takes time to adjust to a new program and a new coaches’ expectations and philosophies. And no coach is going to put Q in a better position to succeed next season than JB. He and Buddy would be stars and the focus of the offense. Unless he goes somewhere like Marquette, he’ll be competing with a lot of other good players for a showcase role.

Last edited:
I think JB's abilities as a game time coach rival anyones in the game today.

I think you are mistaking a tough, non-connecting attitude, with being a poor coach. There has been a covid curve ball that has put many coaches and rosters into chaos. Pandering, lying, coaches could experience a short term boost. After JB weathers this covid storm, SU will be fine.
Agree on in-game coaching and strategy. I’m talking about roster management and relating to players, etc., which are integral to the game especially in this new free-for-all transfer era. My previous post came across as overly harsh. I was just trying to say that JB has never lacked for confidence in his abilities as a coach. But there’s more to program management than just on-court coaching, and I think he’s fallen behind in that area. I do agree with you that Covid proved to be an added challenge this season for player retention.

Last edited:
Thinking back to when we recruited Guerrier, he was described as a 2/3 -- a guy who might replace Battle. When he arrived at SU and started playing games, he struggled at first. Too much dribbling, too many perimeter shots, it was like his body couldn't work as fast as what he had in mind, he was too mechanical, etc. Then at some point around mid-season, he eliminated the perimeter stuff and started focusing only on what he did well -- scoring inside, rebounding, taking it strong to the basket, etc. and he got way more effective.

Year two, he continued the strong inside play, but showed that he could be a reasonable threat from three point range, and earned the green light to take those shots.

He's tweener sized for the NBA, so him wanting to showcase SF skills makes sense. But maybe he never really had those skills in the first place? Level of competition may have also factored into the assessment of him at the HS level as a 2/3. He shows promise as a catch and shoot guy, but I'm not sure he's a wing.

Conversely, a guy like Brissett showed a pretty smooth handle pushing the ball in the open floor and driving to the basket. He showed promise as a shooter as a frosh from three, but then struggled / regressed as s sophomore. But the baseline skill set seemed in place for him more as a 3, with the exception of consistent shooting [and I think it got in his head a bit his second year].

He was more like a 3 who could play 4, because of the strong physique / athleticism.

Guerrier is like a stretch 4 who has yet to show that he has the tool set of a 3.

Thinking back to when we recruited Guerrier, he was described as a 2/3 -- a guy who might replace Battle. When he arrived at SU and started playing games, he struggled at first. Too much dribbling, too many perimeter shots, it was like his body couldn't work as fast as what he had in mind, he was too mechanical, etc. Then at some point around mid-season, he eliminated the perimeter stuff and started focusing only on what he did well -- scoring inside, rebounding, taking it strong to the basket, etc. and he got way more effective.

Year two, he continued the strong inside play, but showed that he could be a reasonable threat from three point range, and earned the green light to take those shots.

He's tweener sized for the NBA, so him wanting to showcase SF skills makes sense. But maybe he never really had those skills in the first place? Level of competition may have also factored into the assessment of him at the HS level as a 2/3. He shows promise as a catch and shoot guy, but I'm not sure he's a wing.
Agreed. But I do think he can work to develop a better handle and driving ability, and if he stayed at Cuse I think he’d improve on that area in his junior year. It takes time and lots of repetitions in both practice and games. And nobody is gonna work harder than Quincy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom