Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. But I do think he can work to develop a better handle and driving ability, and if he stayed at Cuse I think he’d improve on that area in his junior year. It takes time and lots of repetitions in both practice and games. And nobody is gonna work harder than Quincy.

That's fair -- I'm just thinking [out loud] that his HS assessment may have been off. He MIGHT develop those skills down the road, but I'm not sure he ever had them to begin with.

In other words, he wasn't "relegated" to playing inside as a 4 by JB, I think he WAS a 4 who needed to be coached early out of trying to play like a 3, because he couldn't do those things.

That's fair -- I'm just thinking [out loud] that his HS assessment may have been off. He MIGHT develop those skills down the road, but I'm not sure he ever had them to begin with.

In other words, he wasn't "relegated" to playing inside as a 4 by JB, I think he WAS a 4 who needed to be coached early out of trying to play like a 3, because he couldn't do those things.
Yeah.
Will be really interesting to see how he is used, what he's "allowed" to do, and how well he does it for his next team if he stays in college

Interesting he was listed as a SG.

No doubt, at his size (generous listing at 6'7") if QC does indeed have a future in the NBA, it's certainly not in the capacity in which he was used/needed at SU. He's looking out for numeral uno...and you certainly can't blame him in his desire/quest to fulfill his dreams in what he believes suits him best.

Interesting he was listed as a 2G. No doubt, if QC does indeed have a future in the NBA, it's certainly not in the capacity in which he was used/needed at SU. He's looking out for numeral uno...and you certainly can't blame him in his desire/quest to fulfill his dreams in what he believes is in his best interests.

But is that true? I'd say that his path to the NBA would be to continue to show that he's an above average rebounder, who can also hit the three with consistency [up the percentage from ~33% to 37%]. In other words, show that he's a stretch 4.

Being around 6-8 isn't the disadvantage playing 4 that it once was; lots of NBA teams use small ball now.

But is that true? I'd say that his path to the NBA would be to continue to show that he's an above average rebounder, who can also hit the three with consistency [up the percentage from ~33% to 37%]. In other words, show that he's a stretch 4.

Being around 6-8 isn't the disadvantage playing 4 that it once was; lots of NBA teams use small ball now.

Is he truly "around 6-8?" I've read that his 6-7 listing is considered a bit generous, so it will be interesting to see what his true measurement is. It seemed that he did have quite a bit of difficulty finishing at/around the rim in traffic or when defended by other taller guys, etc. I think if he does end up being around a true 6-8, then I would 100% agree that he could indeed have a future in the NBA as a stretch 4.

I think he has driving ability but it’s more about attacking the paint with 2-3 dribbles, or catching the ball in a post-up situation or inside the 3 point arc and operating from there. Agreed, right now he can’t really operate on the perimeter as a dribble driver like Elijah Hughes could. But lots of successful college forwards have similar drawbacks. I think he’s making a mistake trying to transfer elsewhere if he doesn’t stay in the draft.

Keep in mind that not all transfer decisions are cut and dried based on perceived on court opportunities. For example, there are several players in the portal (none of ours to my knowledge) who are transferring becuase their current school is mandating Covid vaccines.
Most schools will mandate Covid vaccines.

I don't buy it.

He's in the portal as low key minor injury insurance in case he suffers some kind of injury that makes basketball income improbable next season, like he sprains an ankle and can't get a good evaluation.

So why not just come back to Syracuse? Because he's probably gone and this widens his options, if he needs them.

The dude's gonna be playing in France or something next season.

Is he truly "around 6-8?" I've read that his 6-7 listing is considered a bit generous, so it will be interesting to see what his true measurement is. It seemed that he did have quite a bit of difficulty finishing at/around the rim in traffic or when defended by other taller guys, etc. I think if he does end up being around a true 6-8, then I would 100% agree that he could indeed have a future in the NBA as a stretch 4.

Yeah -- 6-8 is probably "basketball height" listed in the program.

I don't buy it.

He's in the portal as low key minor injury insurance in case he suffers some kind of injury that makes basketball income improbable next season, like he sprains an ankle and can't get a good evaluation.

So why not just come back to Syracuse? Because he's probably gone and this widens his options, if he needs them.

The dude's gonna be playing in France or something next season.

This makes sense too and what I come back to as a counter to even my own original agreement. He would be 23 or 24 before he saw a professional court if he transfers. Plus he would have to learn a new system in what is a shrinking time line.

Oregon has a history with Canadian recruits. Wouldn't be surprised if he landed there.
Oregon was in his final 3 in his initial recruitment They thought they were gonna land him so I could totally see him there. Illinois was also in his final 3. I still can’t believe he’s actually considering a transfer. I think he’s getting really bad advice.

Oregon was in his final 3 in his initial recruitment They thought they were gonna land him so I could totally see him there. Illinois was also in his final 3. I still can’t believe he’s actually considering a transfer. I think he’s getting really bad advice.
Cole didn’t come to sit and I’m sure Jimmy didn’t either, then add Benny.

Maybe I am slow but this all seems pretty simple to me.
Q wants to go pro, decision date is very late this year because of late NBA season.
Coach wanted full team on the court in June.Instead of waiting for Q he chose Cole and JB Jr.
The desire to have a set team right now won out over waiting for Quincy to make a decision.
Quincy to protect himself enters his name in the portal just in case he changes his mind.
Did I miss something?

Q wants to go pro, decision date is very late this year because of late NBA season.
Coach wanted full team on the court in June.Instead of waiting for Q he chose Cole and JB Jr.
The desire to have a set team right now won out over waiting for Quincy to make a decision.
Quincy to protect himself enters his name in the portal just in case he changes his mind.
Did I miss something?

Nothing -- and agreed. The timing just didn't match up. Q could always opt to return [which seems unlikely], but the new additions probably push him out.

The coaching staff would have gotten crucified by the fans if they'd waited to see what he was going to do, then been forced to scramble in June to try to add replacements. Instead, they opted to proactively take steps to improve the roster and fill the gaps.

Wish Guerrier the best of luck -- too bad the timetable was misaligned.

Did I miss something?
No, I think you got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online