Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. It’s shaping up to be a one dimensional team, unless Benny proves to be a stud who can drive to the rim and/or score in the paint, Junior shows he can actually operate effectively in the post against P5 players, and Girard improves his conditioning and proves he can penetrate and actually finish through contact against the best ACC players. I’m not saying those things can’t happen. They very well could. It’s just a lot of ifs. I liked this team better when we still had Kadary and Quincy on it, but also added Cole to replace Braswell.
I like Swider I just don’t get how people can’t look at our roster and see the obvious holes we have.
If we are talking about actually being a NC contender. It’s like people think we are just Syracuse and the regular season stuff hasn’t happened because we have made the 2 sweet sixteens and a Final Four as double digit seeds.

We have shooting.
You need a post player that teams have to atleast respect in a pick and roll.
We don’t have a true PG.

I mean we can all hope the players improve but let’s see it before we believe it.
Benny has to be a stud.

Buddy can shoot and will score.
I am not letting 2 games from Girard in the tournament tell me the regular season stuff didn’t happen.
We lost our best PG.

Torrence is a complete wildcard.
Having depth means if players struggle we can sit them.
Having no depth means if players struggle we will lose unless it’s an ugly low scoring game.

He didn't struggle to get rotational minutes at Nova. He started a number of games there one year. And he typically played about half the game. Cole certainly played more than Griff did at Illinois or G played at Duke. And pretty much what Hughes played at East Carolina. Q wouldn't have played any more at Nova . What would the alternative have been for you? To do nothing and hope Q came back? That isn't much of a plan. Cole will help this team a lot.
You’re wrong on Griff vs Cole playing time. He played a similar amount of minutes at Illinois as a sophomore as Cole did at Nova as a junior. But Griff averaged more PPG and RPG and shot the 3 a little better.
Griff sophomore year = 18.1 minutes per game, 8.9 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 41.6 % on 3 pointers
Cole Junior year = 18.9 mpg, 5.7 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 40.2 % on 3 pointers.

Cole’s production is demonstrably worse, and he was a year older and played similar MPG. I think Cole could very well improve his numbers at Cuse like Griff did, but it remains to be seen. (Griff also increased his assist, steal and block numbers significantly, so hopefully Cole can improve in those areas as well.)

Last edited:
Well, that isn't what you responded to me with. You were dismissive of Cole. Q wouldn't have done any more than Cole if he was at Nova. I think we are all going to find that out next winter.
Q is going to be a monster whenever he goes next season, as long as he is healthy. He’s one of the top 25 transfers in the country. He’s a significant loss and so is Kadary.

A question: why can other P5 teams have 4-5 forwards on the roster and not lose guys at those positions or even add players, but we only have 4 forwards and our best one leaves? As Alsacs says, JB has been failing at roster management and keeping players happy for years now. It’s his biggest weakness.

What about THIS. Leads to this...?

Symir Torrence is not exactly chopped liver. I look for him to be a revelation, as well as a hopefully healthy Sid and much-improved Jesse giving us the low post scoring we need. Other than Rak, the 5 position is not usually counted on for scoring in JB’s system, but more so to protect the basket and rebound.
I think we’ll be fine..

This thread seems to have lots of people talking past each other. At some point it's "we have to agree to disagree" and we will see how things go with our new team in the fall and with the players who left. To many variables right now to know how things are going to work out next season.

I like Swider I just don’t get how people can’t look at our roster and see the obvious holes we have.
If we are talking about actually being a NC contender. It’s like people think we are just Syracuse and the regular season stuff hasn’t happened because we have made the 2 sweet sixteens and a Final Four as double digit seeds.

We have shooting.
You need a post player that teams have to atleast respect in a pick and roll.
We don’t have a true PG.

I mean we can all hope the players improve but let’s see it before we believe it.
Benny has to be a stud.

Buddy can shoot and will score.
I am not letting 2 games from Girard in the tournament tell me the regular season stuff didn’t happen.
We lost our best PG.

Torrence is a complete wildcard.
Having depth means if players struggle we can sit them.
Having no depth means if players struggle we will lose unless it’s an ugly low scoring game.

I think people are going to be really surprised when they see how effective Swider is around the hoop. He isn't just a stationary jump shooter.

You’re completely wrong on Griff vs Cole playing time. He played a similar amount of minutes at Illinois as a sophomore as Cole did at Nova as a junior. But Griff averaged more PPG and RPG and shot the 3 a little better.
Griff sophomore year = 18.1 minutes per game, 8.9 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 41.6 % on 3 pointers
Cole Junior year = 18.9 mpg, 5.7 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 40.2 % on 3 pointers.

Cole’s production is demonstrably worse, and he was a year older and played similar MPG. I think Cole could very well improve his numbers at Cuse like Griff did, but it remains to be seen. (Griff also increased his assist, steal and block numbers significantly, so hopefully Cole can improve in those areas as well.)
What I am about to tell you is a fact. Not my opinion. Whether Q was staying, leaving or going to the moon, we were going to go hard and get Swider. The reason...our coaches think that Cole is a , and this is their words not mine, an elite shooter. If both Cole and Griff were on this coming year's team, Cole would play in front of Griff.

Q is going to be a monster whenever he goes next season, as long as he is healthy. He’s one of the top 25 transfers in the country. He’s a significant loss and so is Kadary.

A question: why can other P5 teams have 4-5 forwards on the roster and not lose guys at those positions or even add players, but we only have 4 forwards and our best one leaves? As Alsacs says, JB has been failing at roster management and keeping players happy for years now. It’s his biggest weakness.
You are doing the easy part right now, talking. Q had real trouble playing down low against bigger guys. And as for playing outside, he just isn't a great shooter. I wish him well. Hope he puts up numbers where ever he goes. But they will probably be empty numbers.

I think people are going to be really surprised when they see how effective Swider is around the hoop. He isn't just a stationary jump shooter.
I trust your analysis but the last 7 regular seasons have broken me giving the benefit of the doubt.
I am now show me before I believe it.
I trust you aren’t one to blow hype just too but I just look at the situation of our roster and say it’s not a NC contender.
Nor a contender for a top 4 NCAAT seed.

I trust your analysis but the last 7 regular seasons have broken me giving the benefit of the doubt.
I trust you aren’t one to blow hype just too but I just look at the situation of our roster and say it’s not a NC contender.

That's fine, but Swider impressed me with his ability to finish around the hoop with either hand. Better than guys we've had recently. He is also a straight-line driver to the hole far more than I was expecting [when he committed, I was expecting just a stand-still catch and chuck jump shooter].

Now, I don't think he's the same caliber of athlete as Guerrier, but he isn't bad. And he was more well rounded offensively than I expected. He'll be dangerous on screen-and-rolls, both in terms of being able to pick and pop as a great shooter, but also rolling to the hoop -- where he can finish in a variety of ways. I wasn't expecting him to have a low-post game, but he does.

So no Euro or G league? And will transfer? Ouch. That hurts.

Yeah, that's... kinda bizarre.

What would suck for whatever program he goes to - is if he then decides to go Pro after all.

Fare thee well, Candyman!
An invisible low-five to you, my man. :cool:

Yeah, that's... kinda bizarre.

What would suck for whatever program he goes to - is if he then decides to go Pro after all.

Fare thee well, Candyman!
An invisible low-five to you, my man. :cool:
I would think if you choose to transfer to a school it means you aren't going pro. Just kind of common sense etiquette, isn't it?

Q going to another school in MAY should shut up the narrative we couldn’t afford to wait till the NBA deadline.

However it won’t stop it from being used as an excuse.
Best wishes to this kid but it’s a joke what has happened here.

That's fine, but Swider impressed me with his ability to finish around the hoop with either hand. Better than guys we've had recently. He is also a straight-line driver to the hole far more than I was expecting [when he committed, I was expecting just a stand-still catch and chuck jump shooter].

Now, I don't think he's the same caliber of athlete as Guerrier, but he isn't bad. And he was more well rounded offensively than I expected. He'll be dangerous on screen-and-rolls, both in terms of being able to pick and pop as a great shooter, but also rolling to the hoop -- where he can finish in a variety of ways. I wasn't expecting him to have a low-post game, but he does.
Cole is going to do very, very, well here.

Q going to another school in MAY should shut up the narrative we couldn’t afford to wait till the NBA deadline.

Huh? So we should have known in advance that he wouldn't wait until July to make this decision? You are trying too hard to object to Syracuse coaches doing the absolute right thing in making the moves they made. Your post now implies that Syracuse should have known that Q would drop out of the NBA draft way earlier than anyone could have expected. It is out and out silly.

And yet you haven't been broken by a football staff that won one whole game in year five? During that 7 year stretch that has broken you, the school went to three sweet 16's and a final four. We better make sure that no one ever tells you any national secrets. You can be easily broken.

The issue wasn’t playing time. The issue was him wanting to play solely on the perimeter IMO.

Huh? So we should have known in advance that he wouldn't wait until July to make this decision? You are trying too hard to object to Syracuse coaches doing the absolute right thing in making the moves they made. Your post now implies that Syracuse should have known that Q would drop out of the NBA draft way earlier than anyone could have expected. It is out and out silly.
Yes because players don’t wait till July.
It’s just the deadline.
If Q was the priority we would have waited.
He wasn’t.

And yet you haven't been broken by a football staff that won one whole game in year five? During that 7 year stretch that has broken you, the school went to three sweet 16's and a final four. We better make sure that no one ever tells you any national secrets. You can be easily broken.
No because the football program isn’t top 5 in revenue produced each year, doesn’t have a lot of talent in the backyard.
Football isn’t a top tier program.
Also the football coach has made changes to try and fix things.
The basketball coach doesn’t change anything how we play or depth.

Basketball has the dome, rabid fanbase, talent in the region.
It’s not an apples to apples comparison.
I am also okay if people are frustrated with football I am not defending the wall.

Yes because players don’t wait till July.
It’s just the deadline.
If Q was the priority we would have waited.
He wasn’t.
yeah, and can you imagine what you would be saying when he stayed in the draft and we came up empty? How could JB leave us without any quality forwards? I can hear it now. You make absolutely no effort to be fair. None. it diminishes everything else you write. The coaches did the right thing. They got us two forwards that will really help next year. One, I think will be a star. Not to mention the 5 star forward. Of course, we could always have waited. Oh, and Q might have left anyway because his camp wants him to play the 3. and that isn't what was best for Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom