Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Tyler Ennis left they weren’t prepared.
Common sense though.
When CJ Fair was considering leaving after his Junior year they weren’t prepared.

But common sense though.

The roster management the last decade since 2012 has been awful.

Not bad plain awful.

We have barely had just enough players and when we lose games it’s because all players are going to have bad games. When we have no depth you have little margin for error.

Whose responsibility is it to drill that out of a kid? If the kid isn't sure or thinking about it, then does go that route what do you expect them to do? I mean you are seeing now what happens when you bring in too many kids. What if he stays, what if he goes are two different speculative strategies to play. How do you sell that kid on coming in if Tyler comes back?

Would you prefer a UK style approach or just offering trying to get five kids every year to commit? It's not like managing a call center.

It's far easier to take the UK or Duke approach being able to go blue chippers in bulk and sending kids off to the NBA than to manage a mix. The 6 year window of 09-14 was exceptional but it seems like that six year window is considered the benchmark for roster management in your view.

Last edited:
Whose responsibility is it to drill that out of a kid? If the kid isn't sure or thinking about it, then does go that route what do you expect them to do? I mean you are seeing now what happens when you bring in too many kids. What if he stays, what if he goes are two different speculative strategies to play. How do you sell that kid on coming in if Tyler comes back?

Would you prefer a UK style approach or just offering trying to get five kids every year to commit? It's not like managing a call center.

It's far easier to take the UK or Duke approach being able to go blue chippers in bulk and sending kids off to the NBA than to manage a mix. The 6 year window of 09-14 was exceptional but it seems like that six year window is considered the benchmark for roster management in your view.
A window which was kickstarted by showing two of our top recruits from the mid-00s the door.

And yet they compete.

Everyone understand that past 8 players a quality 9 / 10 will go somewhere else.

Q declared and he got replaced. What he had in common with a lot of early guys is that he’s at best another AAAA talent. JB sees that clearer then they do.
If QG wants to be play small forward instead of power forward, he was replaced by Benny not Jimmy Jr.

If QG wants to be play small forward instead of power forward, he was replaced by Benny not Jimmy Jr.
Honestly, it doesn’t matter who is officially replacing whom. The bottom line is we lost all of our forwards and needed to bring more in. Mission accomplished. (A fourth would be nice, no question.)

Honestly, it doesn’t matter who is officially replacing whom. The bottom line is we lost all of our forwards and needed to bring more in. Mission accomplished. (A fourth would be nice, no question.)

EXACTLY this.

It's not like last year's team was so awesome and had players in their ideal positions such that we'd even want to bother trying to "replace" them like-for-like.

Benny, Cole, and Junior will be filling... the Benny, Cole, and Junior roles on this year's team.

Pretty sure Benny is the highest rated recruit we have had since Donte Greene and fans are either not talking about him or posting like he’s just another guy when bringing up the forwards. Weird.
The current summer 2021 RSCI composite ranking for Benny is 36. I tend to use RSCI as the best barometer since it averages between 4 and 7 recruiting services in a given year and you tend to smooth out the services that overrate or underrate a prospect.

Since Donte we've signed 10 players higher ranked than 36 in final RSCI composite rankings (Fab, Dion, Rak, MCW, DeJuan, Ennis, McCollugh, Malachi, Battle, and Bazley).

Roberson (37), J. Grant (41), and Swider (39) were also in the same neighborhood.

[not saying that high school rankings are the be-all-end-all, but a lot of those players turned out pretty darn good, it's good company to be in, and yes we should be talking more about him].

[[also, pretty clear to see the correlation between how were weren't perennially on the bubble when we were consistently getting top 40 kids, vs the last several years.]]

The current summer 2021 RSCI composite ranking for Benny is 36. I tend to use RSCI as the best barometer since it averages between 4 and 7 recruiting services in a given year and you tend to smooth out the services that overrate or underrate a prospect.

Since Donte we've signed 10 players higher ranked than 36 in final RSCI composite rankings (Fab, Dion, Rak, MCW, DeJuan, Ennis, McCollugh, Malachi, Battle, and Bazley).

Roberson (37), J. Grant (41), and Swider (39) were also in the same neighborhood.

[not saying that high school rankings are the be-all-end-all, but a lot of those players turned out pretty darn good, it's good company to be in, and yes we should be talking more about him].

[[also, pretty clear to see the correlation between how were weren't perennially on the bubble when we were consistently getting top 40 kids, vs the last several years.]]
That's interesting, I didn't realize Battle had such a solid composite.

Interesting historical perspective. Thanks

Benny, skill-wise, is going to fit in with that group you listed from Fab to Bazley

Really? Simply living by the 3, and dying by the 3 is not the way to go, especially in CBB. Yes, you need good shooters or you can’t compete, but you also can’t be one dimensional. You also need some interior play and/or guys that can attack of the bounce. Quincy gave us the former and was a decent shooter. Between Buddy, Joe, and Cole, we have really good shooters. What we need is a player who can drive to the basket and score—and we lost that in Kadary. And we also lost the guy who can operate near the paint and in the post in Quincy. I also think we’re really gonna miss Marek next season.
That’s what Oats is doing at Alabama.

Pretty simple question do you believe Jim Boeheim does a good job with roster management? Roster management is good portion of how you sustain being excellent in the regular season.

I believe our roster management has been mediocre at best. The best reason for that is we’ve had seven consecutive mediocre regular season. I believe Jim Boeheim the coach is able to get the most out of his roster to get it on the bubble at the very worst because he knows how to schedule and we are 500 in conference play.

Pretty simple question do you believe Jim Boeheim does a good job with roster management? Roster management is good portion of how you sustain being excellent in the regular season.

I believe our roster management has been mediocre at best. The best reason for that is we’ve had seven consecutive mediocre regular season. I believe Jim Boeheim the coach is able to get the most out of his roster to get it on the bubble at the very worst because he knows how to schedule and we are 500 in conference play.

I appreciate you stayed on message and are consistent but you didn't at all answer my question. That said it's how you feel and that is cool. No qualms about that.

He’s better at what Q wants to be better at. Q wants to be a shooter.
Huh? My point is that Cole isn’t as good as Q overall. Cole proved to be one dimensional at Nova for 3 years. He’s a shooter. Q has more dimensions to his game including a developing jump shot (JB himself said he could be an even better shooter next season). Q is a significantly better rebounder and much better at operating in the post and attacking the rim. I hope Cole improves a lot from last season to next, but there’s no question that Q is the better player right now—and would probably be better for us next season. I don’t see why we couldn’t have had both though. I think the staff failed in that regard. Maybe the best solution was not to bring in Junior.

Last edited:
That’s what Oats is doing at Alabama.
I’m well aware of what Oats is doing. But he isn’t doing a one-dimensional “only shoot 3s” offense. They emphasize trying to get open 3s AND attacking the paint and trying to get points at the rim or in the paint. What he’s deemphasized is the mid-range game, like the NBA has.

Last edited:
Huh? My point is that Cole isn’t as good as Q overall. Cole proved to be one dimensional at Nova for 3 years. He’s a shooter. Q has more dimensions to his game including a developing jump shot (JB himself said he could be an even better shooter next season). Q is a significantly better rebounder and much better at operating in the post and attacking the rim. I hope Cole improves a lot from last season to next, but there’s no question that Q is the better player right now—and would probably be better for us next season. I don’t see why we couldn’t have had both though. I think the staff failed in that regard. Maybe the best solution was not to bring in Junior.
I don’t disagree, but Q wants to play somewhere he can show off his shooting and JB obviously wants to use him differently.
Q wants to move on, I don’t see how that is hard to understand.

Q got far more opportunity to show what he can do here than Cole did at Nova. I think Cole is a better guy to pair with Buddy as a two man game than Q was. Cole can play both the PNR and PNP game. Q did more of this late in the year but he ran more flare type screens for Buddy than anything. In the tournament they played a little bit of a two man game but not often.

As players Q has a bigger toolkit but it's clear he wants to showcase only a couple. His release is slow and he needs space to get his shot off. If playing on the perimeter purely was his desire, Cole is going to be better than him in that role if you compare current. Ceiling wise I don't know.

Rebounding to me is the big question mark. Cole rebounded at Prep, has pointed that out a lot in interviews and it's clear that part of his game is seen as solid but without the statistical evidence at Nova.

If Cole hits the boards hard and does a good job using his size on D- he actually may be an upgrade at the position. Not an upgrade as pertaining to talent ceiling and pro prospect but just making the team better and making Buddy's life easier. SU like many programs is I am sure anxious to see what they have once these revamped rosters across the country start working out on campus.

My ideal Forward rotation would have been Q and Cole with Benny as first fwd off the bench and Jimmy being the Josh Pace do what you need guy at F and small ball C in a pinch. That's long gone so now it's what do we have vs what we lost when you lay the cards out - but looking as a team not just the players. And of course I could be dead wrong too so who knows. I wish football started in the summer more. Off seasons are always beating dead horses.

I really don’t think Q was all that great in the post and he struggled making layups the second half of last season. He’s a solid player, but we didn’t lose an All American here. C’mon.

And risk being left with only two forwards?

I really don’t think Q was all that great in the post and he struggled making layups the second half of last season. He’s a solid player, but we didn’t lose an All American here. C’mon.
JB said Quincy would be an AA if he came back. Maybe Benny will be one in two years if he stays two.

We need the laughing emoji back. JB himself said Q could be an all American here next season. ESPN came out with their latest top 100 transfers. Q is 26. Kadary is 33. The only transfer we got who made the top 100 was Cole at 86. Symir and Junior are nowhere to be found. So we lost 2 top 50 transfers and only gained one kid at 86. Not sure how that’s an upgrade.

Last edited:
We need the laughing emoji back. JB himself said Q could be an all American here next season. ESPN came out with their latest top 100 transfers. Q is 26. Kadary is 33. The only transfer we got who made the top 100 was Cole at 86. Symir and Junior are nowhere to be found. So we lost 2 top 50 transfers and only gained one kid at 86. Not sure how that’s an upgrade.

As I said JB says things. Quincy is a good player, but the guy we saw the last 10-15 games of the season when we played our best ball is not too difficult to replace.

The coaches think Cole is better than the fans do. That’s what people here don’t get. Even Devendorf is impressed with him. I don’t really think it’s too much to ask for Cole to average 14 and 7 or so on 38-40% from 3.

Not sure what we lost. Q played hurt a lot, and had some dominating performances when he wasn't.
If Q was healthy his entire time at SU, would be clearer what he's consistently capable of.

And replaced him with a guys that struggled to get rotational minutes at NOVA in 3 seasons and an IVY guy that didn’t play last year...

And replaced him with a guys that struggled to get rotational minutes at NOVA in 3 seasons and an IVY guy that didn’t play last year...
He didn't struggle to get rotational minutes at Nova. He started a number of games there one year. And he typically played about half the game. Cole certainly played more than Griff did at Illinois or G played at Duke. And pretty much what Hughes played at East Carolina. Q wouldn't have played any more at Nova . What would the alternative have been for you? To do nothing and hope Q came back? That isn't much of a plan. Cole will help this team a lot.

Last edited:
I don’t think we lost one, but I also think people are thinking Cole and Jr are far better than what they’re capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom