Quincy Guerrier transferring to Oregon | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier transferring to Oregon

Dillon Brooks, a fellow Canadian no less, is basically the blueprint for what Quincy wants his game to be. I’m sure this was an easy sell for Altman.

Yep. Totally agree.

It will be weird for me...my son teaches at Oregon and I am out there a lot. In fact, I fly to Eugene tomorrow. Will probably see a game this winter and seeing an SU guy in a non-SU uni will be strange.

I get why he is transferring but times have changed. It used to be that a player played wherever he could best help the team. Now, they want to "showcase their game" for the NBA. It goes beyond playing time. Not saying it's good or bad but that's how it is.

No shocker here once Oregon got involved. There’s a connection there from his Canadian days.

he and his handlers want him to show as a pro three. Go back and watch hs high school highlights...tell me if they emphasized his post up or perimeter game. I’ll save you the trouble - His HS highlights look nowhere near what his actual skill set was here.

Again, he’ll be playing the 4 there based on that projected lineup. I don’t understand his or his handler’s thinking on this. Altman and Minnenga just told him what he wanted to hear. His people can’t see that? Oregon isn’t just going to let him hang out on the perimeter all game and just shoot 3s. The move really doesn’t make any sense. JB would have put him in the best position to succeed and make the NBA here at Cuse.

Last edited:
Again, he’ll be playing the 4 there. I don’t understand his or his camp’s thinking on this. Altman and Minnenga just told him what he wanted to hear. They’re not just going to let him hang out on the perimeter all game. That really doesn’t make any sense.
Yep. That’s my general take. Most of these coaches tell kids what they want to hear, then make the best use of them to get wins. Go watch the Dion / Devo podcast...we do it too

No shocker here once Oregon got involved. There’s a connection there from his Canadian days.

he and his handlers want him to show as a pro three. Go back and watch hs high school highlights...tell me if they emphasized his post up or perimeter game. I’ll save you the trouble - His HS highlights look nowhere near what his actual skill set was here.
Another take is that JB used him where he was needed the most. If Sid or Edwards plays the center spot Marek at the 4 maybe Q would have shown out at the 3.

love QG and the effort he gave us...
but man that "put the ball on the floor" part - he's got serious work to do btwn now and the fall

This a ton of work along with being a better shooter when the shot is challenged.

Another take is that JB used him where he was needed the most. If Sid or Edwards plays the center spot Marek at the 4 maybe Q would have shown out at the 3.
Before Sidibe got injured, he started at forward with Marek. Of the two, I would say Marek was the SF.

He tried putting the ball on the floor more than a few times getting it stolen, called for charges or being walled off. He just has a ton of work to do there. Plus from the perimeter he doesn't have a very good first step and isn't very fluid going to his left. He is a hard worker and he will get better but he isn't a guard or SF right now.

Still baffled why he would choose to do this instead of playing in Europe. Kid can do what he wants but I’m not a fan.
“He was looking for my position and I was looking for the same thing. I’m going to play more at the three and I’m going to be able to play more on the perimeter and put the ball more on the floor. That was really the main reason why I left Syracuse because I couldn’t really do that. Now I will be able to show my full potential.”

Lol. There was no leap there. Kid knew what he was looking for (his own words) and its not a leap at all to think he knew what his chances were to get drafted this year. I think everyone knew that...now going overseas is a different story.
He didn’t enter the portal until a couple weeks ago. That’s when he officially decided to leave Syracuse. Otherwise, he would have entered the portal the moment he opted to test the draft.

Q is exactly the 4 in that lineup. Williams shoots a better percentage from 3 and doesn’t rebound as well. He’s the 3. How can Q’s people not see this?

Williams is 6-6 200, and Richardson 6-5 180 to go with the 6-2 Harmon. He is far and away the obvious 4 man.

Yep. Totally agree.

It will be weird for me...my son teaches at Oregon and I am out there a lot. In fact, I fly to Eugene tomorrow. Will probably see a game this winter and seeing an SU guy in a non-SU uni will be strange.

I get why he is transferring but times have changed. It used to be that a player played wherever he could best help the team. Now, they want to "showcase their game" for the NBA. It goes beyond playing time. Not saying it's good or bad but that's how it is.
What fascinates me... college hoops could fix this on a macro level if they wanted to.

The pro game is officiated such that talent shines.

The college game is officiated such that disparities in talent can be minimized.

Perhaps, Q can be a 3 in this offense. Time will tell.

91055E48-7D35-4F08-9887-E808D17BF561.gif

I mean find a way to let him expand his skillset a bit while keeping him in the program. Get creative with offensive sets using both the 3 and the 4. Show him tape of John Wallace. Show him a path for him and Benny to do what they do well here. Losing Q and Kadary is absolutely devastating to our upside next year.
I’m sure they showed him a path. It probably wasn’t enough.

What fascinates me... college hoops could fix this on a macro level if they wanted to.

The college game is officiated such that disparities in talent can be minimized.
Preaaaaach

That would mean guys like TV teddy couldn't practice their charge pose five times a game. We know that will never happen.

Why are we losing our best players - players that got significant playing time and would in the future - to peer/lesser programs? Is there a third Boeheim that we can add to replace him? Maybe a cousin?
JB gives his players - especially young ones and especially unpolished ones - a lane to follow...with dos and donts.

It works, mostly...the team generally wins...but I think it backfires some...I think Q was told not to dribble and drive...which doesnt make sense to me...I bet he shows on Oregon that he is very good at that this upcoming season.

Limiting what players can and cant do out there has plusses and negatives...sometimes the player isnt ready to freestyle out there but they can fill a role...and generally players get a bunch of leeway by the time they are seniors. But it also makes it very easy to scheme against for the more astute programs...they know what rules JB gives his players and play accordingly a la UVA.

Also, I think it sometimes prevents player development...hence, QGs nod to Altman for his player development...I feel like people are going to be impressed with QG this year...he might look like a different player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom