R.I.P. UConn Football | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

R.I.P. UConn Football

Your point is correct but their weren't any crown jewel programs available at that point. The lawsuit is one of those things when everything is close to even you use as a tiebreaker.
The lawsuit is something that is forgiven but again not forgotten. To be honest the reason why UConn is the position they are is strictly geography. If Connecticut and Rutgers were in the exact opposite location UConn is the Big Ten and Rutgers is the AAC.

The Big Ten would have wanted UConn's WBB and MBB while making its FB tomato cans for OSU/Michigan/PSU if the state got all those cable boxes from NYC/NJ for the BTN.
The ACC lawsuit is just why they had no allies within the ACC when time came to expand to 14 or replace Maryland.

Eh, just about everyone in leadership positions at ACC schools when the lawsuit happened were long gone by 2011 and 2013. And people forget that PITT was part of the lawsuit as well. That didn't seem to derail their candidacy.

The lawsuit became this big Internet message board talking point, but the reality is that by the time the ACC wanted to add schools again it really wasn't a factor. UConn didn't get an ACC bid because of football, plain and simple. Pitt had a history as a strong program and is located in fertile Western PA recruiting grounds. Louisville had prior success and a demonstrated financial commitment to building and maintaining a strong program.

UCONN football just took a gut shot for the basketball teams. The prognosis is fatal. The only question is how long will it take for the patient to bleed out as an FBS independent? After 4, maybe years, I see the FB program closing down. Either that or it's the Colonial Athletic League for UCONN football.

I looked up who's in the Big East as a reminder, and seeing the list of schools, it struck me that UConn has basically given up on major college athletics.

I mean -- no offense to Creighton, Butler Seton Hall and Providence -- but you can't be a flagship state university, associate yourself with those schools, and still consider yourself a player.

They might as well be UMass now. What a fall.

I looked up who's in the Big East as a reminder, and seeing the list of schools, it struck me that UConn has basically given up on major college athletics.

I mean -- no offense to Creighton, Butler Seton Hall and Providence -- but you can't be a flagship state university, associate yourself with those schools, and still consider yourself a player.

They might as well be UMass now. What a fall.
UMASS is going to steal UCONN's spot.

In effect, UCONN women's basketball killed UCONN football. Because of the new AAC contract, UCONN lost the right to sell games to SNY, which is where almost every UCONN basketball game, mens and womens, are televised. By losing that, they would only be on from time to time,like every other womens team, but their president and apparently members of the BOT couldn't have that happen to the lady Huskies, so football was thrown under the bus. Instead of driving the bus.

They’ll survive somehow (independent or new G6 football only conference), but their P5 dreams are over...

In effect, UCONN women's basketball killed UCONN football. Because of the new AAC contract, UCONN lost the right to sell games to SNY, which is where almost every UCONN basketball game, mens and womens, are televised. By losing that, they would only be on from time to time,like every other womens team, but their president and apparently members of the BOT couldn't have that happen to the lady Huskies, so football was thrown under the bus. Instead of driving the bus.
yes, yes. The most successful sports team in the history of UCONN and women's college basketball. Seems natural to blame them for the terrible choices of the athletic dept and board of trustees for not investing more dollars into the football team.

yes, yes. The most successful sports team in the history of UCONN and women's college basketball. Seems natural to blame them for the terrible choices of the athletic dept and board of trustees for not investing more dollars into the football team.
UCONN is a women's basketball school, that was made plain to everyone who has a clue.

UCONN is a women's basketball school, that was made plain to everyone who has a clue.
sorry, didn't get that in your post. Especially this part, "By losing that, they would only be on from time to time,like every other womens team, but their president and apparently members of the BOT couldn't have that happen to the lady Huskies, so football was thrown under the bus. Instead of driving the bus."

But I'll see if I can go find a clue

Gonna miss that UCF-UCONN "Civil Conflict" game they play every year (since 2013) for that dopey trophy that the schools physically lost 2 years ago and still can't find. Oh what has happened to traditions?!
Oh, I think I know where that trophy is. I think it’s still on the field after UCF refused to touch it. I’m guessing the reason why nobody can find it is because nobody has gone to a UConn football game in years!

An independent in football is like a NASCAR racer who is not part of the 'pack', which motors on my him because they work together to burrow a hole in the air for all of them to go through.

Was this really so bad? Template:1970 Yankee Conference football standings - Wikipedia

All these small colleges that try to go big time. How many times has it really worked out for them? For every Boise State or Central Florida there are plenty of UCONNs and UMASSes. Anybody remember Long Beach State? What's wrong with just playing your neighbors?

I don’t follow your logic. It’s not like the AAC was positioning them for success.

The Big East gives them an athletic conference with a pulse, more money, and more schedule flexibility in football.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s NOT a great option, but it would be hard to find a worse option for them than the AAC.

Huh?

How does a hoops only conference give them more money than one with football?

Now, AAC football isn’t much to write home about, but - it’s still better in today’s college landscape than none at all.

SEC respects what the AAC is in football. Some people on this board think they are the MAC, that is not even close. If UCONN football worked their way to the top of the AAC, they would definitely be the no.1 expansion target to get into a P5 league.

Welcome to this weeks edition of Husky Football brought to you by the Mental health care services of Mansfield. Mansfield Mental health the official Mental health provider of Husky Football.

Still scratching my head trying to figure out why anyone ever thought UConn football was a good idea in the first place. IMO, adding that program to the Big East made about as much sense as the proposed Villanova FB call-up... i..e NONE!

Huh?

How does a hoops only conference give them more money than one with football?

Now, AAC football isn’t much to write home about, but - it’s still better in today’s college landscape than none at all.
Last I checked (and it’s been a while), the BE had a higher payout than the AAC, AND UConn would get to keep whatever they make in football w/o splitting, so it would be a double revenue win (not counting the attendance difference of Georgetown-Nova-Marquette-Creighton-Prov vs. Memphis-Houston-Temple-WSU-Cinci). They’d also have supposedly reduced travel costs.

The AAC payout is *that* bad, and the BE is the equivalent of a power conference in roundball.

EDIT: The current BE media deal > the AAC medial deal *until* this upcoming year. They renegotiated. Now it’s a little murky, depending on how back-loaded each deal is, and what impact UConn leaving has. But it’s not inconceivable that they will make more in the BE than AAC BEFORE their incremental football revenue, basketball tickets, etc. are taken into account.

Last edited:
SEC respects what the AAC is in football. Some people on this board think they are the MAC, that is not even close. If UCONN football worked their way to the top of the AAC, they would definitely be the no.1 expansion target to get into a P5 league.

No don’t think so. Maybe ACC.

Colorado St BYU UCF USF Cincy Houston San Diego st all ahead of them in the eyes of various other conferences.

UCONN"s biggest problem is going to be when Gino steps down and their women's program joins the rest of the masses. In a way it is a smaller scale problem of what we face with JB.