racist mascot name change | Syracusefan.com

racist mascot name change

I shouldn’t laugh, as that pitch is highly inappropriate, but his sentiment is shockingly true and resonates unfortunately loudly.

The specter of racism isn’t hiding in every shadow and behind every corner, and double standards won’t fix any problems. But at the same time, there should be no place for actual intolerance where it actually exists.

Some names are probably inappropriate (Redskins and Fighting Irish), but most are not. The Illini, Saltine Warrior, Indians, etc., are no more offensive than the Trojans, Spartans, Vikings, and so on - or at least that’s not how they should be perceived.

There really needs to be room for a real dialogue, which there isn’t right now. It’s mostly one side screaming and plugging their ears, which is what makes the reactions in the video so funny.

Fighting Irish isn’t offensive tho.
Unless you’re Irish and don’t like the stereotype/tropes of Irish being violent drunkards (which I’m confident in saying most people would view as a negative stereotype), and the accompanying 1800’s leprechaun-looking cartoon which more or less screams “racial/ethnic caricature” doesn’t exactly help.

Last edited:
Unless you’re Irish and don’t like the stereotype/tropes of Irish being violent drunkards (which I’m confident in saying most people would view as a negative stereotype), and the accompanying 1800’s leprechaun-looking cartoon which more or less screams “racial/ethnic caricature” doesn’t exactly help.

Nah

Nah
I don’t know what to say. You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.

This isn’t a hill I’m going to die on, and you don’t seem to have any basis for your opinion - at least not one that you’re willing to articulate. Believe whatever you want.

(EDIT: if you’re using ND as a proxy to say most pushes for mascot/logo changes are at best misguided crusades, then I think your choice of proxy is odd, but I actually agree with your sentiment. Appropriate or not, there are bigger problems in the world. If you’re making some bizarre claim that Irish can’t be the subject of an inappropriate mascot, then I disagree. If you’re intending to claim that there are more inappropriate names in the collegiate world, then maybe. I don’t personally love the idea of LSU and UNC parading around and glorifying the memory of those who committed treason against my country.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom