Rak is playing himself into the nba | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rak is playing himself into the nba

Man, if Rak "got it" last year, that team really could have gone far. Lack of a low-post presence has been evident since Rick and AO played.

people always disagree, but i think Rak has always had this ability. Jim just does not EVER run an offense where the center is a focal point. This year is only by absolute default.
people also forget that Rak was a HIGHLY touted guy out of high school.

What skill would you want to see? He looks exactly like a bench NBA big to me. He's got the size and skill for that role and maybe as a spot starter.

I keep thinking he's Trevor Booker at the next level.

this is spot on. He is almost the prototypical PF bench guy in the NBA.

Not sure he is a shoe in but you see lots of guys his size or smaller, with less refined skills, and less upside, who have carved out NBA careers. Jeff Adrien for example is hanging on. Rak has 10x the upside. Hell, Udonis Haslem has been a starter for a decade. I think Rak gets a very solid chance to make it in the league and my guess is that between his top notch athleticism, high character (as many can attest to) and skills which I think he is just now really showing, that he ends up sticking. While a senior, he hasn't played that long. He has room to grow, more so than the typical senior. I remember JB saying when Rak signed that he wouldn't really show what he is capable of until he left -new to the game.

Guys his size with that athleticism and emerging skill do not grow on trees. I think he continues to do this throughout the season and sneaks into the first round.

If Rak can start hitting an open outside shot with the consistently that Haslem did (does?), then I absolutely can see him in the NBA as a bench guy

for numerous reasons Rak couldn't be this kind of player last year, and some of the reasons directly translate into his potential for the next level.

until DC went down last year, he was a 4 and a player who looked over his shoulder for the quick hook. once he got a chance to settle into the 5 and know he wasn't coming out for a while, he really started to find his groove. The O still wasn't close to going through him, but he became a reliable option. This year he is the man in the middle with no real back up and his numbers and game reflect that. Plus the O needs him this year as others have mentioned.

If he keeps this up through the ACC and wins, or hold his own, with some marquee matchups he'll definitely get a look from the NBA, maybe as high as mid-first territory (esp if he wows at combine/tryouts). Worst case is probably an early 2nd rounder by Philly, since they have them all anyway. He can be one hell of a rotational player with Noel and Embid.

I don't know if Rak can be a star/starter in the league. He has played his best as a 5. At the next level he profiles as more of a 4. Not saying he can't play it, everything about him screams that he can...except his track record. That said, the league is steadily moving towards smaller and more mobile frontlines with a bunch of 4-profile types manning C so...

[que old "can SU players play D?" narrative] The biggest question I have now is here. With Rak's athleticism he should be able to be a beast on D covering 3-5. A low-post Bruce Bowen. If he can pull that off, he should have a 10-year career better than Orr did.

anyhow, that's what I think. I wonder what Jimmy thinks about Rak's next level projection...

for numerous reasons Rak couldn't be this kind of player last year, and some of the reasons directly translate into his potential for the next level.

until DC went down last year, he was a 4 and a player who looked over his shoulder for the quick hook. once he got a chance to settle into the 5 and know he wasn't coming out for a while, he really started to find his groove. The O still wasn't close to going through him, but he became a reliable option. This year he is the man in the middle with no real back up and his numbers and game reflect that. Plus the O needs him this year as others have mentioned.

If he keeps this up through the ACC and wins, or hold his own, with some marquee matchups he'll definitely get a look from the NBA, maybe as high as mid-first territory (esp if he wows at combine/tryouts). Worst case is probably an early 2nd rounder by Philly, since they have them all anyway. He can be one hell of a rotational player with Noel and Embid.

I don't know if Rak can be a star/starter in the league. He has played his best as a 5. At the next level he profiles as more of a 4. Not saying he can't play it, everything about him screams that he can...except his track record. That said, the league is steadily moving towards smaller and more mobile frontlines with a bunch of 4-profile types manning C so...

[que old "can SU players play D?" narrative] The biggest question I have now is here. With Rak's athleticism he should be able to be a beast on D covering 3-5. A low-post Bruce Bowen. If he can pull that off, he should have a 10-year career better than Orr did.

anyhow, that's what I think. I wonder what Jimmy thinks about Rak's next level projection...

There are a lot of players that need to completely fall apart for Rak to get all the way to a mid first at the 4/5.

I mean, Domantas Sabonis is a ridiculously amazing 4 prospect, and he may not even come out this year because of how stacked that position is. And if Sabonis DOES come out it hurts Rak even more.

There are a lot of players that need to completely fall apart for Rak to get all the way to a mid first at the 4/5.

I mean, Domantas Sabonis is a ridiculously amazing 4 prospect, and he may not even come out this year because of how stacked that position is. And if Sabonis DOES come out it hurts Rak even more.
Yeah, Rak's best hope is probably that he gets snagged late in the 1st round to a solid team that believes he can give them decent minutes right away.

TBCuse11 said:
people always disagree, but i think Rak has always had this ability. Jim just does not EVER run an offense where the center is a focal point. This year is only by absolute default. people also forget that Rak was a HIGHLY touted guy out of high school.

You are right except for the years with Otis Hill, Arinze, Jackson, and Christmas.

so maybe Rak should stay another year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom