Rak is playing himself into the nba | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rak is playing himself into the nba

My question is-How much of it is improvement from last year and how much of it is just getting the ball consistently this year? I believe it's a combination, but wonder how much of each.

My theory on Christmas success this year is last year he may have been too busy trying to graduate in 3-years. Which I applaud him for doing that. I think this year he may be concentrating more on basketball. He seems more relaxed and energetic than last year. He seems more confident this year. You have to admire the young man with his college degree! I am really rooting for Rak to get a good draft pick in the NBA. Even though a little frustrating over the previous three years, as orange fans we have a lot to celebrate with Rak's career.

Having 3 and 4 year players is very important to the BB program. The school-not-to-be-name-with-dog-mascot won a lot of NCs with upper classmen players. The team needs leadership from older players.

If we were 13-0 or 12-1 there would be legitimate talk about Rakeem being a first team All-American, and who knows maybe as we improve he gets accolades late in the year. Christmas numbers are the same as Okafor's across the board, but the fact he is a Senior and our record is shaky, literally nobody is talking about him nationally. I'll say this, I will take Christmas on defense over Okafor any day.

If we were 13-0 or 12-1 there would be legitimate talk about Rakeem being a first team All-American, and who knows maybe as we improve he gets accolades late in the year. Christmas numbers are the same as Okafor's across the board, but the fact he is a Senior and our record is shaky, literally nobody is talking about him nationally. I'll say this, I will take Christmas on defense over Okafor any day.
I think he'll be in that discussion, at least as an honorable mention.

I said after the cal game if rak is our go to player we're in big trouble. I couldn't have been more wrong. Dude is a beast.

He needs to have one or two games against some very good talent to really turn some heads.

He needs to have one or two games against some very good talent to really turn some heads.
He'll have plenty of chances for that coming up soon, and he will rise to the occasion.

I will say I'm very impressed. I didn't even think he was a good role player prior to this season. In my opinion he's made the greatest improvement that I've ever seen at SU. I couldn't be happier to be completely wrong
Warrick?

It's also wonderful to see him draw fouls and not cringe over the fact that one of our big men is going to the line. Love him all around. Kudos to him and Hop.

I sheepishly wish he had just developed a little sooner with some of our better teams.

But I still love the way he is playing -- have not had the chance to see many games, but I have liked the way he has confidently taken a few jumpers the times I have seen him. I think that is important skill to show if he wants to get to the next level.

jncuse said:
I sheepishly wish he had just developed a little sooner with some of our better teams. But I still love the way he is playing -- have not had the chance to see many games, but I have liked the way he has confidently taken a few jumpers the times I have seen him. I think that is important skill to show if he wants to get to the next level.

I'm not going to say he was this good his whole career here, but last year there were obvious signs that he was ready to be a big time contributor, he literally touches the ball more in 3 minutes now than he did in 25 last year.

I know people cite that missed game winner against BC last year but that's garbage. If he missed that shot on the 5th minute of the game nobody would have had any beef with the shot, or that he took it because everybody knew he was capable of making it.

I've rooting for Rak big time since he's come here and have spoken to him countless times, he's a real soft spoken guy and extremely kind. I'm very happy that he's doing this well this year, I just honestly think he was close to this good last year.

I'm not going to say he was this good his whole career here, but last year there were obvious signs that he was ready to be a big time contributor, he literally touches the ball more in 3 minutes now than he did in 25 last year.

I know people cite that missed game winner against BC last year but that's garbage. If he missed that shot on the 5th minute of the game nobody would have had any beef with the shot, or that he took it because everybody knew he was capable of making it.

I've rooting for Rak big time since he's come here and have spoken to him countless times, he's a real soft spoken guy and extremely kind. I'm very happy that he's doing this well this year, I just honestly think he was close to this good last year.

Perhaps it's more of a case of "we had used him more" in prior years and built his confidence as a higher usage player earlier

He's having a great, great year, but honestly I think he is too small to play center in the NBA and not skilled enough to play PF. I really hope I'm wrong because he seems like a great kid who has worked really hard, but he looks like a classic tweener to me.

I think he's way better than Jackson and Onuaku both honestly.

He's having a great, great year, but honestly I think he is too small to play center in the NBA and not skilled enough to play PF. I really hope I'm wrong because he seems like a great kid who has worked really hard, but he looks like a classic tweener to me.

Yeah I think he definitely needs to develop a more consistent 15-20 foot jumper to play PF in the NBA.

My question is-How much of it is improvement from last year and how much of it is just getting the ball consistently this year? I believe it's a combination, but wonder how much of each.

There is no doubt there is some truth to the assertion that Rak just didn't have much opportunity last year. The offense last year revolved around CJ and Cooney, with Grant providing some limited offense and Ennis making his shots. Those four were the focal point. CJ, Cooney and Ennis' roles on the offense were fairly well defined and most of the offense flowed through them. Grant was decent at getting inside and getting fouled, getting rebounds, etc. Rak and Keita were mainly there to screen and get rebounds and offense never flowed through them. At least that's the way I saw the offense, very guard/forward heavy which is not untypical for JB coached team.

This year, outside of Cooney, we had no experienced offensive scorers back and I have to believe JB and the staff recognized that we have to use Rak a lot more (probably why JB stated Rak's gonna have a huge year before the season started). I always believed Rak was capable but not given sufficient opportunity and its great credit to Rak that he worked his tail off that when the opportunity did come that he was ready to take full advantage. Its been pretty awesome to watch Rak play this year and I'm pretty excited that he is getting this opportunity to shine and been so consistent in offensive and rebounding production.

jncuse said:
Perhaps it's more of a case of "we had used him more" in prior years and built his confidence as a higher usage player earlier

Not even played him more, he played plenty last season. Just didn't touch the ball. When he did he never looked out of place with it or took a "What" shot.

Not sure he is a shoe in but you see lots of guys his size or smaller, with less refined skills, and less upside, who have carved out NBA careers. Jeff Adrien for example is hanging on. Rak has 10x the upside. Hell, Udonis Haslem has been a starter for a decade. I think Rak gets a very solid chance to make it in the league and my guess is that between his top notch athleticism, high character (as many can attest to) and skills which I think he is just now really showing, that he ends up sticking. While a senior, he hasn't played that long. He has room to grow, more so than the typical senior. I remember JB saying when Rak signed that he wouldn't really show what he is capable of until he left -new to the game.

Guys his size with that athleticism and emerging skill do not grow on trees. I think he continues to do this throughout the season and sneaks into the first round.

Not sure he is a shoe in but you see lots of guys his size or smaller, with less refined skills, and less upside, who have carved out NBA careers. Jeff Adrien for example is hanging on. Rak has 10x the upside. Hell, Udonis Haslem has been a starter for a decade. I think Rak gets a very solid chance to make it in the league and my guess is that between his top notch athleticism, high character (as many can attest to) and skills which I think he is just now really showing, that he ends up sticking. While a senior, he hasn't played that long. He has room to grow, more so than the typical senior. I remember JB saying when Rak signed that he wouldn't really show what he is capable of until he left -new to the game.

Guys his size with that athleticism and emerging skill do not grow on trees. I think he continues to do this throughout the season and sneaks into the first round.

The left handed shots were awesome!

It's a combination, but he's had some of this in him the whole time imo. He was always a decent passer - that delivery to Triche/Cooney on the backdoor is something he has excelled at for a bit now. We don't run it all that often, but he's always been a good passer, and had decent hands.

I doubt in one summer he went from not being able to hit simple shots with either hand, to miraculously being capable with both. JB said we had other scorers, and consequently didn't need him before, I think that had a lot to do with it.

When he did get the ball in the post - which was rarely - I think he just felt too much pressure to score in previous seasons. You see that with younger players (it's more noticeable with guards since they get more touches) - Buss, BJ, Roberson - they tend to overdo it on offense at times because they think it's how they can stay on the court/get more touches - score, score, score! Which usually leads to bad shots...or at least some ugly ones.

All three seem to be settling in a bit more though and rushing less shots - but that's for a different thread.

Interesting debate though...

What skill would you want to see? He looks exactly like a bench NBA big to me. He's got the size and skill for that role and maybe as a spot starter.

I keep thinking he's Trevor Booker at the next level.

I sheepishly wish he had just developed a little sooner with some of our better teams.

But I still love the way he is playing -- have not had the chance to see many games, but I have liked the way he has confidently taken a few jumpers the times I have seen him. I think that is important skill to show if he wants to get to the next level.

Yeah, I wish Rak 4.0 had been available last year or even the year before too...but thank god we've got him this year!

Yeah I think he definitely needs to develop a more consistent 15-20 foot jumper to play PF in the NBA.
That 17 footer against Cornell looked pretty smoove! :)

He fought hard last year to get position and I remember saying so many times throw it in the post. I think he always had the talent to score just didn't have the opportunity or the role in the offense.when you see the ball on a consistent basis it's does a lot for your confidence. I'm also sure he worked harder this summer on his scoring and post moves cause he knew he would have an expanded role and is making the most of it. He always reminded me a bit of a guy like jj hickson. His nba career has been respectable and I don't see why rakeem can't hang in the NBA ESP with the progress he's showing this year. It's really great to see him make this awesome jump in production and also JB's belief and confidence in him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom