Rak's 2 flops | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rak's 2 flops

Jefferson's was a foul. Parker's wasn't. Don't care how much it "should be called", in that situation, that's not a foul. It's a physical game.

See, I think it was a foul - and I think it gets called most of the time.

The play on Keita (which I also thought was odd because Parker created all contact - and his lead elbow was the only contact on his three point play) was iffy because it was part of a spin move - so you can let that one go. Not sure how Keita fouled him thought tbh. Against Rak, he's sealed on the baseline, if you let the player just elbow his way out then double-teams, post play is kind of pointless. You would just use a clear out every time - it wasn't a basketball move, it was just creating space.

If its not a foul its a turnover then. Can't clear the defender out to shoot over them with your hands or elbow, with your body you can bump but you can't push the defender away its like a charge.

Duke fouled us on 5-6 over the backs and slaps on the arms on defensive rebounds the first 7-8 minutes of the second half not one was called. A big reason their offensive rebounds were 18. We could have got some more breathing space if it wasn't for that.

Then the other way Duke players started to foul out, I thought Jeffersons 4th not his 5th should have been a no call maybe. But I thought the same of Raks 3rd-4th late in regulation.

Either way thats how reffing goes alot of the time you get a few no calls one way then a few no calls the other. Duke plays physical on defense and handchecks alot thats the result. We don't do that as much and it keeps us out of foul trouble more.

See, I think it was a foul - and I think it gets called most of the time.

The play on Keita (which I also thought was odd because Parker created all contact - and his lead elbow was the only contact on his three point play) was iffy because it was part of a spin move - so you can let that one go. Not sure how Keita fouled him thought tbh. Against Rak, he's sealed on the baseline, if you let the player just elbow his way out then double-teams, post play is kind of pointless. You would just use a clear out every time - it wasn't a basketball move, it was just creating space.

Foul on Keita shouldn't have been shooting.

How about the moving pick the previous trip down the floor when we fouled them on the three. Jefferson should have been out before Rak's "flop". Rak has really emerged the last few games. If he continues his progression he will play a huge role come March.

Both were fouls, but neither needed to be called. Parker shuffled his feet so a travel could have been called and on Jefferson's 5th, it had no impact on the play so the refs could have let the possession continue. I'll take the win, but understand why Duke fans would be upset. Refs don't need to decide the game.
Calling obvious fouls is their damn job. The player fouling is the one deciding the game.

Jefferson's was a foul. Parker's wasn't. Don't care how much it "should be called", in that situation, that's not a foul. It's a physical game.
He gained advantage through illegal physical contact. That is the definition of a foul.

Rak is turning into a monster. Can't imagine what he'll look like a year from now as a senior.

Parker did throw an elbow. There was contact. Rak definitely engaged in a little classic ACC exaggerating of it, but it was a foul.

He gained advantage through illegal physical contact. That is the definition of a foul.

If Grant fouls out on that spin, do you sing a different tune?

Just watched the game for the 3rd time. In both cases they were fouls. Rak dramatized them but they are fouls. Degree of a foul doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Rak's mental game may be better than his physical. Love his focus.

Rak has been inconsistent until now. We've waited for him to reach his potential. Maybe it does take longer to develop a big man.

Let's hope this game turns his flame up. He can be a real force at this level, and have a nice career at the next.

Keep turning it up, Rak. Your time is now! You are the X(mas) factor!

(Still want to hear some Christmas bells in the crowd!)

I think this is a case where there're weren't going to call a foul everytime on Parker. They were giving him the benefit, but when he continued they had no choice but to start calling them. There's was a lot of contact that went uncalled early, but then started being whistled. Did the refs warn the players to start cleaning up their contact and when they didn't the whistles started? Possibly.

But the. Bottom line is that Duke couldn't defend the paint without fouling. That will still be an issue for them in three weeks.

The Parker elbow into Rak foul was a marginal call. However, it made up for the time Parker clearly fouled Grant after Grant came down with a defensive rebound and Parker grabbed Jerami's arm, and somehow Parker gets to go to the line to shoot 2 because Grant fouled him in the act of shooting!? Seriously, What????!!!!

Just watched the game for the 3rd time. In both cases they were fouls. Rak dramatized them but they are fouls. Degree if a foul doesn't matter.

jon-lovitz-acting.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom