Random hypothetical: 2018 Bama vs 2001 Miami | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Random hypothetical: 2018 Bama vs 2001 Miami

Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Kellen Winslow, Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, Roscoe Parrish on offense

With Sean Taylor, Ed Reed at safety.
Philip Buchanan and Antrel Rolle at CB.
Mike Rumph at nickel back
McDougle, Joseph, Wilfork at defensive line.
Vilma and DJ Williams at linebacker.

The 2001 Hurricanes are winning IMp.
I mean that team was crazy 38 players drafted.
Alabama having Saban is part of the reason they are great. A stooge like Larry Coker was just there so they would continue doing Butch Davis system.

Suite Sports: How Absurd Were the 2001 Miami Hurricanes? Could an NFL Team Afford All That Talent?

there won't be another team like it, imo.

there won't be another team like it, imo.

Not that it would have mattered, but they didn't have a lot of competition either.

Their opponent in the national title game didn't win their conference championship and gave up 62 points in their previous game.

If Alabama wins this one, they'll have run through a very good Georgia team (maybe twice) as well as the winner of two undefeated teams in Clemson and ND.

Not saying they're better than 2001 Miami, but they'll have run through a much tougher road to win it all.

Yeah, this is kind of like when people ask how Alabama would do against the Cleveland Browns.

But the Browns would beat Bama by like 80 points. Wouldn’t the line for this Bama/Miami matchup be something moderate like no more than a TD or so either way?

But the Browns would beat Bama by like 80 points. Wouldn’t the line for this Bama/Miami matchup be something moderate like no more than a TD or so either way?

Probably, but the answer is always going to be “2001 Miami”

Probably, but the answer is always going to be “2001 Miami”

But the question was: what would the point spread be?

PS shoutout to NineOneSeven and Finwad for reading the one sentence OP.

;)

Points For: 512
Points/G: 42.7 (3rd of 117)
Points Against: 117
Opp Pts/G: 9.8 (1st of 117)
SRS: 26.17 (1st of 117)
SOS: 5.08 (22nd of 117)

)

Miami

Points For: 588
Points/G: 49.0 (2nd of 130)
Points Against: 165
Opp Pts/G: 13.8 (3rd of 130)
SRS: 26.94 (1st of 130)
SOS: 3.10 (42nd of 130)

Bama

Its a close call ,its a heavy passing game now Bama has held many in check .Assuming both have to play their style of game (and Bama wins the hole thing ) . I think it would be like Miami's game against the Cornhuskers ,not close.

Points For: 512
Points/G: 42.7 (3rd of 117)
Points Against: 117
Opp Pts/G: 9.8 (1st of 117)
SRS: 26.17 (1st of 117)
SOS: 5.08 (22nd of 117)

)

Miami

Points For: 588
Points/G: 49.0 (2nd of 130)
Points Against: 165
Opp Pts/G: 13.8 (3rd of 130)
SRS: 26.94 (1st of 130)
SOS: 3.10 (42nd of 130)

Bama

Its a close call ,its a heavy passing game now Bama has held many in check .Assuming both have to play their style of game (and Bama wins the hole thing ) . I think it would be like Miami's game against the Cornhuskers ,not close.

That year the U did crush Nebraska but I remember back in the 90s when nebraska beat the snot out of the U towards the end of Osborne's tenure.

2001 Canes didn't have a good coach or QB and lots of the best players were still freshmen they were actually WAY better a year later when OSU knocked them off McGahee was more dominant than Portis by a long way. 2001 is just the team with an obsurd collection of talent on it. 2002 was the best.

I think Saban and Tua could have knocked them off they weren't that dominant despite all those stars. Last years team with Hurts loses to them by 20+ though.

I think the game has changed so much since '01.

The talent is obviously the driving consideration here. I don't think anyone, at least on paper, is ever going to touch that Miami squad.

I think if you had a time machine and took Alabama's current team and coaches, analysts, trainers, etc. back to 2001, even if you gave the Miami staff the Alabama film archive and a week to prep, Alabama would beat them on scheme alone.

It's a different game now. It took 2 years for anyone to figure out how to defend the zone read. That concept alone has changed how linemen block and defend the run.

Portis, McGahee, and Gore!!
Ed Reed, Andre Johnson, Shockey, Johnathan Vilma, Mckinney, Kellen Winslow, Antrelle Rolle, Sean Taylor, Vince Wilfork, Phillip Buchanan...unreal.
I'm actually impressed that we only lost by 59 to them that year.

Miami had dynamic players all over the field.. Ala is dominating in a different way.

I agree. This is a different Bama team. Saban has given in and adapted unlike some of his meathead counterparts like beilema. Saban saw the writing on the wall with the need to play RPO offense.

Its weird but i am still not convinced this Bama team is an all time team. They are according to point differential and i think Tua might be the second coming of Steve young. That said, their schedule is a bit of a joke. They had 2 tests, at LSU and auburn. All i hear about is Clemsons easy schedule but bamas certainly isn't harder.

is the 2018 bama team even the best bama team of this dynasty? I guess so with tua but what about the defense?

2001 Canes didn't have a good coach or QB and lots of the best players were still freshmen they were actually WAY better a year later when OSU knocked them off McGahee was more dominant than Portis by a long way. 2001 is just the team with an obsurd collection of talent on it. 2002 was the best.

I think Saban and Tua could have knocked them off they weren't that dominant despite all those stars. Last years team with Hurts loses to them by 20+ though.
Yes, the 2 time Heisman Trophy finalist Ken Dorsey was no good. Correct.

Yes, the 2 time Heisman Trophy finalist Ken Dorsey was no good. Correct.

He was another McElroy nothing more. Crazy he made it to New York twice I didn't remember that at all what a joke it was clearly the guys around him and not him he had a weak arm and wasn't that accurate.

Dorsey was a lot better than Brock Berlin that guy SERIOUSLY sucked and is why the run ended how did they suck in the ACC so badly it was an easier league in football at the time see BC???

I agree. This is a different Bama team. Saban has given in and adapted unlike some of his meathead counterparts like beilema. Saban saw the writing on the wall with the need to play RPO offense.

Its weird but i am still not convinced this Bama team is an all time team. They are according to point differential and i think Tua might be the second coming of Steve young. That said, their schedule is a bit of a joke. They had 2 tests, at LSU and auburn. All i hear about is Clemsons easy schedule but bamas certainly isn't harder.
so
SOS: 5.08 (22nd of 117) is a joke ? and they have not even played Georgia again

i am not that convinced Tua is all that great.. sure he throws well to wide open guys..

I dont think he even does anything in the NFL. sure he wont do as well in the USFL

so
SOS: 5.08 (22nd of 117) is a joke ? and they have not even played Georgia again

Good point and I understand what you are saying. One explanation that has been thrown around year to year is the overrating of the SEC teams. I believe MSU was their other challenging SEC game. Other than those 3 games its been a cruise for Bama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom