Random hypothetical: 2018 Bama vs 2001 Miami | Syracusefan.com

Random hypothetical: 2018 Bama vs 2001 Miami

Eric15

Living Legend
Neutral field, what would you set as the point spread in this game and why?

Miami had dynamic players all over the field.. Ala is dominating in a different way.

Neutral field, what would you set as the point spread in this game and why?
That Miami team was stupid talented. I forget the # but it was an absurd amount of 1st round picks...

I think in any other Bama year Miami shuts down their offense completely. This season Bama is a bit more balanced. Miami would score and so would Bama.

I’m still Miami -3 though.

Miami, not a doubt in my mind

2001 Miami has 17 first round picks in their 2 deep.
Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee Frank Gore all on one team.
38 of 85 scholarship players were drafted in the NFL draft.
I would take Miami. When a guy like Vince Wilfork wasn’t even in the 2 deep that year give me the Canes.

As good as this year's Bama team is I think next year's is probably going to be better. They'll have Tua, their top 4 receivers, N. Harris, and 4 starting OL coming back and then probably have 7-8 starters on defense returning not even including a guy who missed this season but many in the program think is the best defensive player on their team in Terrell Lewis. They'll also get Diggs back from injury who was their best DB earlier this season before getting hurt and being out for the year.

Lewis has been out all year with a torn ACL he got during an offseason workout. He might come back for the playoffs but Bama assumed he would be a top 10 pick and gone after this season.

They also are going to have the number 1 recruiting class in the country with quite a few 5 stars to fill in the gaps.

I still believe 2001 Miami is the greatest college team of all-time, so I have to go with Miami. That year was also the deepest the Big East conference ever was as well and the Canes two toughest games that year were actually @BC (winds affecting Dorsey resulting in 4 INTs) and @ VT, which was down 26-10 going into the 4th quarter but VT made a game of it and could have forced OT if they had two successful 2-point conversions instead of just one.

Cheers,
Neil

I just wonder about the 17 year difference. Athletes are getting bigger and stronger. And 17 years seems like a long time to me. plus, we don't know what these Bama players are going to be thought of in 10 years like we know about the Miami players. Alabama might have three all-pros on the bench right now that someday we will say, can you believe those guys didn't start for Bama back in '18?

I just wonder about the 17 year difference. Athletes are getting bigger and stronger. And 17 years seems like a long time to me. plus, we don't know what these Bama players are going to be thought of in 10 years like we know about the Miami players. Alabama might have three all-pros on the bench right now that someday we will say, can you believe those guys didn't start for Bama back in '18?

Good points. I'd also add two other things: 1) Nick Saban is not going to ever be much of an underdog to Larry Coker and 2) Tua is a whole lot better than Ken Dorsey.

That Miami team is the most talented college fb team ever. Although tua is light years better than Dorsey.

This reminds of when ESPN had this whole discussion about how the 2005 USC team rated vs the all time best teams a week or so before they lost to Texas.

This reminds of when ESPN had this whole discussion about how the 2005 USC team rated vs the all time best teams a week or so before they lost to Texas.

For what it's worth, I still think the 16-0 2007 Patriots are the greatest team ever even though they didn't win it all. I don't think any other team would be favored against them.

Or when ESPNU did a bracket of the greatest college teams of all time and because Nebraska fans were insane at voting it was Nebraska 1994 vs Nebraska 1985:

Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Kellen Winslow, Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, Roscoe Parrish on offense

With Sean Taylor, Ed Reed at safety.
Philip Buchanan and Antrel Rolle at CB.
Mike Rumph at nickel back
McDougle, Joseph, Wilfork at defensive line.
Vilma and DJ Williams at linebacker.

The 2001 Hurricanes are winning IMp.
I mean that team was crazy 38 players drafted.
Alabama having Saban is part of the reason they are great. A stooge like Larry Coker was just there so they would continue doing Butch Davis system.

Suite Sports: How Absurd Were the 2001 Miami Hurricanes? Could an NFL Team Afford All That Talent?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom