Class of 2014 - RB Erv Phillips (CT) | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 RB Erv Phillips (CT)

FWIW, this kid is a helluva running back. Go back and watch the film. Yes, I'm disappointed in losing Wilbon and other prospects, but Phillips is not a slot back, he is a tailback. I know he made some mention about preferring to run outside the tackles but other than that there is no evidence I'm aware of that he is not being recruited to run the ball as an every down back. That perception came from the fan base and speculative posts. If I'm wrong, time will tell, but I'm excited to have PTG, GMII, DMF, and Erv as out four tailbacks in 2014. No concerns with me.
Now 2015 class...lets get out on the trail.

FWIW, this kid is a helluva running back. Go back and watch the film. Yes, I'm disappointed in losing Wilbon and other prospects, but Phillips is not a slot back, he is a tailback. I know he made some mention about preferring to run outside the tackles but other than that there is no evidence I'm aware of that he is not being recruited to run the ball as an every down back. That perception came from the fan base and speculative posts. If I'm wrong, time will tell, but I'm excited to have PTG, GMII, DMF, and Erv as out four tailbacks in 2014. No concerns with me.
Ive been thinking this all along. He is very dynamic and runs harder than people think. has the frame to add muscle. Other people are worring about not getting TB commits. Im not worried. Unless he doesnt qualify. But if that's the case Howard will move to TB. I think we will go after some stud RB's for 2015. We havent had one from florida in awhile. Lets go McDonald

I can't remember a class at this point that we weren't worried about kids flipping on us...what a way to close hardnosed style!

Really like the direction the program is going.

Both our QB's have been great recruiters for us, both tweeting to guys, come join us as we make some noise. Got to love that about these guys.

I am right there with you. I think Erv is that dynamic back that you will see this staff (at least under McDonald) will recruit. He seems to love the APB's, and that is exactly what Erv is. There are a few things to consider with this as well. At the time of his commitment, both of our slot receivers were question marks. AB was a receiver for the 1st time, and as much as we all liked him nobody could have predicted just how dynamic Brisly was going to be. So now we are pretty much set at slot for the next 3 seasons, with an excellent 2 deep. This allows the staff to keep Erv at RB, which imo is perfectly fine with me because this kid oozes potential. He also was pretty lightly recruited since he was tucked away up in Conn., was a major qualifying question (not much any longer), and was an early Cuse commit (before rushing for 2,500 yards).

I am perfectly fine with Erv being the only RB this class since we have other needs to fill at this point.

I am right there with you. I think Erv is that dynamic back that you will see this staff (at least under McDonald) will recruit. He seems to love the APB's, and that is exactly what Erv is. There are a few things to consider with this as well. At the time of his commitment, both of our slot receivers were question marks. AB was a receiver for the 1st time, and as much as we all liked him nobody could have predicted just how dynamic Brisly was going to be. So now we are pretty much set at slot for the next 3 seasons, with an excellent 2 deep. This allows the staff to keep Erv at RB, which imo is perfectly fine with me because this kid oozes potential. He also was pretty lightly recruited since he was tucked away up in Conn., was a major qualifying question (not much any longer), and was an early Cuse commit (before rushing for 2,500 yards).

I am perfectly fine with Erv being the only RB this class since we have other needs to fill at this point.
I totally agree, the kid has vision and can change direction like nobodies business. Could easily put on 15-20 lbs of muscle by the time he plays as a redshirt freshman.

I totally agree, the kid has vision and can change direction like nobodies business. Could easily put on 15-20 lbs of muscle by the time he plays as a redshirt freshman.

and that's another important part. best case scenario is that he isn't forced to play this year, and can use the RS year to bulk up. that could give the staff flexibility on their options for 2015.

even so i have a feeling Erv might not red shirt

Last edited:
BfVuKiqIIAACHUx.jpg:large

I hope the questions about qualifying are mute...I like the way this kid runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom