Class of 2019 - RB Garrison Johnson (TX) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19 | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 RB Garrison Johnson (TX) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19

Congratulations young Mr. Johnson on your very wise choice of Syracuse University Football. Now bring some of that Tough Texas Football with you and put it on display in the ACC and help Syracuse University become a powerhouse. Go Orange!!!!!!!!!

Dear Garrison,

1548619645269-jpeg.151360

A very very nice get. If someone told us two years ago that the third year under HCDB that we would have a 10-3 record, (should be 12-1) and back to back very good recruiting classes and 7 - 4* recruits. We would have said, I want what you are smoking. lol But we did and it is so great to see the excitement back in SU football.

A very very nice get. If someone told us two years ago that the third year under HCDB that we would have a 10-3 record, (should be 12-1) and back to back very good recruiting classes and 7 - 4* recruits. We would have said, I want what you are smoking. lol But we did and it is so great to see the excitement back in SU football.

Is it ok to still want what others are smoking? Asking for a friend.

I don’t think he is as agile, but in terms of strength, speed and running with balance, this guy has some AJ Dillon in him. We haven’t had a big power back with his speed and ability to break tackles in a while. A long while.

Down the road, when we have 3 or 4 WR sets and Garrrison as the sole back, DCs will have to make a tough decision regarding how to defend us.

One thing I've noticed from his tape is his speed for a big guy. He hits the hole hard and doesnt get caught from behind. Very agile and quick feet. Gets hit and doest go right down. This kid is still all baby fat...when he gets into our strength and conditioning program our staff is going to create a monster! Similar to jarveon howard but might have more upside and I really like howard.

One thing I've noticed from his tape is his speed for a big guy. He hits the hole hard and doesnt get caught from behind. Very agile and quick feet. Gets hit and doest go right down. This kid is still all baby fat...when he gets into our strength and conditioning program our staff is going to create a monster! Similar to jarveon howard but might have more upside and I really like howard.
He seems to run over or away from most defenders on his tape - and he's from Manvel, Texas (Manvel HS and Frenship HS). TexanMark, texascpa or someone from that state/area would know more about the competition level, but he looks tough to bring down.

Last edited:
I don't see the speed that people are talking about and think it'll be pedestrian in the ACC. But thats not going to be his role. Coach Lynch who reviewed him above said he'll be a great short yardage/ goal line back. Hard to tackle, great feet, comes down hill. He added, he's a player they'll get his carries up in the 3rd and 4th quarter when people don't want to tackle him and you'll see him break big plays and score TDs late in games.

My assessment from those comments; obviously we'll see him in short yardage/goal line but he's not an every down back, he's a situational back who they'll insert in the 4th quarter to chew clock and/or run tired people over. It's a good strategy and the one they're using with Howard.

Naturally we'll all be thrilled if he is the next Jerome Smith.

Last edited:
I'm not the analyst that some of you are, but am enjoying watching Babers et al create a new & deeper team. I see variety and depth in what the coaches are putting together, and think we'll see more balance going forward, on both sides of the ball. Babers won't ignore the talented RB's we've added and though I'm really looking forward to watching Devito burn defenses for long gains, I also look forward to a variety of RB's in the balanced attack I think Babers wants.

I really have enjoyed looking at who the coaches add, then hearing commentary by those of you that have some expertise in evaluating athletic metrics and other elements that add context for the rest of us. Signing day is a hopeful rite of passage in my version of SU fandom...kudos to the coaches, recruits, teammates, parents, and those of you that add perspective. This is fun and it's appreciated...

we could make a living off have Jerome Smith type guys in this offense. we had so many plays the last 2 yrs where the RB lost the 1-1 battles in the holes and this guy hopefully is tougher to bring down.. Smith would have killed it in this offense. if you cant make people miss you have to be hard to bring down.

we could make a living off have Jerome Smith type guys in this offense. we had so many plays the last 2 yrs where the RB lost the 1-1 battles in the holes and this guy hopefully is tougher to bring down.. Smith would have killed it in this offense. if you cant make people miss you have to be hard to bring down.

I look forward to when our OL is a little more optimized / a little stronger on the interior. Teams having to account for the pass are going to get gouged.