RB/LB Devan Carter (Brighton, NY) - Verbals to Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RB/LB Devan Carter (Brighton, NY) - Verbals to Syracuse

but, but, but he and Hodges are listed as NR -- they suck ... and Devan had no offers :bang:

I like the pick up -- good size and power ... red shirt a year and then move onto specials ... could be a 3 yr starter a few years down the road :)

Carter's 4.23 shuttle is very good and for a kid his size it is outstanding.

Looking at NIKE combine shuttle times results for 2012:

At Orlando it would put him in the top 50 (out of 1400) but for kids 215 or heavier it would place him third.

In Philly it's a top 10 time and first among kids over 200 pounds.

In Miami it's a top 5 time and first among kids over 205 pounds.

In Houston it's a top 50 time and 2nd among kids 205 pounds.

In NYC he's top 20 and first for kids over 200 pounds.

4.5 @ 215lbs with the shuttle? Kid is oozing physical potential. Might be a steal of a recruit.

ESPN Combine Results:

http://espn.go.com/high-school/foot...185/2012-nike-football-sparq-combines-results

By the way - Augustus Edwards in NYC checked in at 6-1 220, 4.58 forty and a 4.52 shuttle.

Ebenezer Ogundeko 6-3 227, 5.01 forty and a 4.52 shuttle

He does this drill in 7.2 seconds about the same as this kid

The L drill improves agility, it is recommended that football players perform it 3-5 times in each direction once or twice a week. It involves being able to quickly start, stop, move side-to-side, run backward and change direction. When performing the L-Drill and its variations, the player should focus on three things:
  • Start the sprints explosively
  • Drop their inside shoulder as he runs around the cones; this will help him stay tight to the cones when turning
  • When he stops, have him push his hips back and chop his steps to help maintain your balance
L-Drill Level Two
Once you've performed the L-Drill for eight to 12 weeks, make it more challenging by adding a ball. For example, a basketball or soccer player should dribble a ball while running through drill; a football, baseball or softball player should catch a ball at random times; and a hockey player should stickhandle.

L-Drill Level Three
After eight to 12 weeks of level two, move on to level three, which involves an opponent. Now the drill becomes a race, with both athletes seeking to get to the finish line first. One athlete performs the L-Drill exactly as described in level one. The other performs the following:
  • Assume athletic position at cone number 1, facing other athlete
  • Backpedal to cone 2, keeping other athlete in front
  • Race back cone 1, touch cone
  • Sprint to cone 2
  • Run around cone 2 toward cone 3
  • Run around cone 3 back toward cone 2
  • Run around cone 2 to the finish line at cone 1

but, but, but he and Hodges are listed as NR -- they suck ... and Devan had no offers :bang:

I like the pick up -- good size and power ... red shirt a year and then move onto specials ... could be a 3 yr starter a few years down the road :)

There was a blurb on the other site stating that Hodges preformed really well at a recent Florida 7 on 7 tourney and runs very, very well. The called him a "steal for Syracuse."

Really like this kid at LB - big, fast, athletic.

And, a Rochester recruit!

Obviously, we need to develope western NYS.

Devan, welcome to Cuse football family!
Gotta love the the physical play; your field vision; your speed; your effort and your hands.
I can see you growing into a dominant LB here!
orange zone m m.jpg

There was a blurb on the other site stating that Hodges preformed really well at a recent Florida 7 on 7 tourney and runs very, very well. The called him a "steal for Syracuse."

With LB being such a key position of recruiting need for the class of 2013, I think we're off to a great start with both of these prospects.

Carter's 4.23 shuttle is very good and for a kid his size it is outstanding.

Looking at NIKE combine shuttle times results for 2012:

At Orlando it would put him in the top 50 (out of 1400) but for kids 215 or heavier it would place him third.

In Philly it's a top 10 time and first among kids over 200 pounds.

In Miami it's a top 5 time and first among kids over 205 pounds.

In Houston it's a top 50 time and 2nd among kids 205 pounds.

In NYC he's top 20 and first for kids over 200 pounds.

4.5 @ 215lbs with the shuttle? Kid is oozing physical potential. Might be a steal of a recruit.

ESPN Combine Results:

http://espn.go.com/high-school/foot...185/2012-nike-football-sparq-combines-results

By the way - Augustus Edwards in NYC checked in at 6-1 220, 4.58 forty and a 4.52 shuttle.

Ebenezer Ogundeko 6-3 227, 5.01 forty and a 4.52 shuttle

This is the kind of player you have to look for in NYS. Out approximately 10K rising seniors playing football in NY there are always going to be kids who are physically and athletically capable of being D-1 players. Even if it's just 1% that's still a pool of 100 kids.

What they don't have is the coaching, practice and game time that kids from other states have. Marrone has said it numerous times that SU is a development program, and that's what a kid like Carter looks to be.

Really happy with this news. Devan is the kind of LB we have been needing for a while. Big, strong, fast...he is Doug Hogue II. I believe he is going to make a major impact at Syracuse.

Really? Hogue had offers from Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pitt, Maryland, etc.

I hope you're right, but kind of unfair expectations for a kid with zero scholarship offers other than Cuse, no?

Really? Hogue had offers from Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pitt, Maryland, etc.

I hope you're right, but kind of unfair expectations for a kid with zero scholarship offers other than Cuse, no?

He was making a comparison about the physical attributes and athleticism, not the offer list.

I think the Hogue comparison is very fair. They are similar size and speed and both played RB/LB. Thankfully Carter isn't insisting he plays RB when the staff knows his best position is LB. I have to wonder if Carter was from Yonkers and not from Rochester, how many offers he would have.

Its a good comparison. Carter could be even better. He's starting off at LB from day one. Hogue played 2 seasons at LB

Love him as an LB. Looks like he even has the frame to move to the middle eventually.

Should and almost certainly will RS as he wasn't exactly facing top-flight opposition.

He was making a comparison about the physical attributes and athleticism, not the offer list.

Exactly.

I'm big on offers and have been pretty vocal about that but you have to throw the lack of offers out the window when a kid's physical numbers jump off the charts. The kid is a physical freak and has better numbers than Edwards. It is only June though and after hitting some camps would no doubt have picked up more offers.

Carter = 6'1 217; 4.52; 4.23 - Buffalo camp timed
Edwards = 6'1 220; 4.58; 4.52 - NYC NIKE combine timed (ten BCS offers and someone we really want)

Carter crushed it with his times though. I'd sign that up every day.

Being from a Rochester suburb and not going to any national camps/combines hasn't exposed him. The lack of offers shouldn't surprise.

Shoot - how about both of those kids and Hodge playing LB?

There are under the radar NYS success stories like Tyvon Branch's. Grew up in North Syracuse, track star ,only one offer, UConn.

He did have some issues at UConn but overcame them. May have had some in high school here that our staff knew off, there was speculation. He just signed a $6.21 million franchise tender with Oakland and is in his 5th year with the club.

Yes, I realize. More often than not, a player's offer list is indicative of his abilities as a football player.

But I do like Phat's post listing Carter's measurables and why he may be under the radar at this point. I'll have to check out a Brighton game this Fall.

Speaking of Carter, I really like his film. He's a rangy, long strider who is probably faster than he appears on film. My question is why are we his only offer at this point? Have grade issues kept people away ala Broyld and Barnwell?

Yes, I realize. More often than not, a player's offer list is indicative of his abilities as a football player.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I DO think that offer list is a better indicator than the star system, but I disagree that it is indicative of ability. Example--some kids commit early, and don't get follow up offers because other schools won't waste their time actively recruiting them anymore if their committment is solid. Other kids fly under the radar completely [Bromley]. Other kids lack grades [Wayne Williams--who by all accounts looks like an SEC caliber D-Lineman].

Offer list is a good data point, but far from definitive about ability.

But I do like Phat's post listing Carter's measurables and why he may be under the radar at this point. I'll have to check out a Brighton game this Fall.

Yes and no, a kid like Broyld would probably have had 10-15 BCS offers had he had his grades in order. Heck, we were really late to offer because his grades were a mess. Same goes with Wayne Williams.

Terrific. He's the Upstate guy I really want SU to land this year, even over the more ballyhooed Officer.
I happen to thik that a kid like the "ballyhooed O-l Officer is the kind of "ballyhoo player the program needs to get off this speed bump we are riding. Together woth Palmer and Curtis he could form a dominating nucleus for the unit for a number of years.If you aren't paying attention the O-line drives the offense and determines the play oof the rest of the team in a domino affect. Put point on the board and the defense can play inspired and swarming D and get its proper rest between series. BTW I think this kid can be an impact player at the backer or RB position. Whichever is best for the team is the one I favor. No arguments here.

Speaking of Carter, I really like his film. He's a rangy, long strider who is probably faster than he appears on film. My question is why are we his only offer at this point? Have grade issues kept people away ala Broyld and Barnwell?

Could it be a matter of Brighton and lack of exposure? Not exactly a known producer of talent. All things being equal would he have any offers coming out of say Corcoran?

Hopefully he's qualified, does seem like over the years Rochester kids have sometimes had qualifying issues.

Hopefully he's qualified, does seem like over the years Rochester kids have sometimes had qualifying issues.

How nice would it be to have Averin Collier this year? Not that depth at RB seems to be a huge issue, but it would phenomenal to have him this year.

How nice would it be to have Averin Collier this year? Not that depth at RB seems to be a huge issue, but it would phenomenal to have him this year.

It would be awesome because he'd be the starter.

Could it be a matter of Brighton and lack of exposure? Not exactly a known producer of talent. All things being equal would he have any offers coming out of say Corcoran?

Devan should have no probably qualifying.

Brighton has never produced a D1A level kid from football. Pretty poor football tradition and the previous staff was not great at developing kids (Devan as a part-time lineman his freshmen year). New head coach just took over this past winter after serving one year running the O.

Devan was scheduled to hit several one-days in the coming weeks, was very likely going to be receiving several camp offers, but backed out as soon as the SU one came through because that was always his top choice. In talking with his coach, the kid and his family really bonded with Wheatley and felt most comfortable with him and the other coaches. Also love the close proximity to home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom