RB/LB Devan Carter (Brighton, NY) - Verbals to Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

RB/LB Devan Carter (Brighton, NY) - Verbals to Syracuse

It must be June because the recruits are rolling now.

I'd be interested to see how Carter's numbers look against another ROC guy in Quentin Gause. Gause's team wasn't much IIRC but he got noticed by the star-makers at camps and combines his freshman or sophomore year.

I will like to add that Brighton is a great academic school. With great teachers. I would be very surprised if his grades were inadequate. I was told that Carter's are not the wealthiest family. Mom wasn't looking forward to saving money to send him to rutgers and other camps and combines. Q Gause was attending national combines since his freshman year. That gave him early exposure. He didn't have as many offers as I thought he would. There's no doubt Devan would have more if he had gone to these things. I am a little surprised UB hasn't offered. Don't know what they are thinking

I will like to add that Brighton is a great academic school. With great teachers. I would be very surprised if his grades were inadequate. I was told that Carter's are not the wealthiest family. Mom wasn't looking forward to saving money to send him to rutgers and other camps and combines. Q Gause was attending national combines since his freshman year. That gave him early exposure. He didn't have as many offers as I thought he would. There's no doubt Devan would have more if he had gone to these things. I am a little surprised UB hasn't offered. Don't know what they are thinking
Family finances would also help explain the preference for a school close by, where his parents, friends and family have only a short drive to see him play (no plane tickets or hotel room).
I also agree about the quality of Brighton schools.

Gause also had the kid from Kearney who went to VTech playing a year ahead of him so when the recruiters waswere in to see him they also saw a younger Q Gause playing. As was mentioned above, Brighton has never had a kid, at least in the last couple decades, being recruited at the D-1 level.

It must be June because the recruits are rolling now.

I'd be interested to see how Carter's numbers look against another ROC guy in Quentin Gause.

Quentin who?

Quentin who?
I've never hated on a kid for his college choice, but that guy's dad as well as Gause's comments that he wanted to major in communication and then went to Rutgers really rubbed me the wrong way.

Gause also had the kid from Kearney who went to VTech playing a year ahead of him so when the recruiters waswere in to see him they also saw a younger Q Gause playing. As was mentioned above, Brighton has never had a kid, at least in the last couple decades, being recruited at the D-1 level.

Jerome lewis got recognized by attending camps with Quentin and his dad and uncle. He was unknown until he started making a name for himself at 7 0n 7 competitions. Schools were all over Quentin since his soph year. The Gause's are a good family. it was hard pretending that I was happy for Quentin going to rutgers.

Thanks to all for the "insider" information about Carter in this thread--very cool info that you'd never get from a recruiting article.

You may be confusing Gaue's dad with Jordan Thomas', who was a complete douche on the old board.
My recollection is Quentin was wavering coming down the stretch, to the point that the other site even posted a rumor that he was about to flip. His dad stepped in and said Quentin was going to honor his commitment to Rutgers and that was the end of that. The Communications thing was curious, but in reality even though we have Newhouse, they are a train ride away from 30 Rock.

My recollection is Quentin was wavering coming down the stretch, to the point that the other site even posted a rumor that he was about to flip. His dad stepped in and said Quentin was going to honor his commitment to Rutgers and that was the end of that. The Communications thing was curious, but in reality even though we have Newhouse, they are a train ride away from 30 Rock.
And plenty of athletes (and non-athletes) still struggle to get into Newhouse.

I used to work at 30 Rock. Don't remember meeting anyone from Rutgers. SU grads all the time, though.

And plenty of athletes (and non-athletes) still struggle to get into Newhouse.

Joke. We actually HAVE a communications school, generally rated as top 1 or 2 in the Country. They got nuthin.

You may be confusing Gaue's dad with Jordan Thomas', who was a complete douche on the old board.
you're right, thanks for the correction

This is the kind of player you have to look for in NYS. Out approximately 10K rising seniors playing football in NY there are always going to be kids who are physically and athletically capable of being D-1 players. Even if it's just 1% that's still a pool of 100 kids.

What they don't have is the coaching, practice and game time that kids from other states have. Marrone has said it numerous times that SU is a development program, and that's what a kid like Carter looks to be.

I'd add to this that this kid -- or kids like him -- may even be more polished and better coached than they get credit for. People give an awful lot of credit based on geography and pedigree (of the player and/or the program). Sometimes it's merited. Other times kids like this get no pub and end up being four-year starters. Will this kid be great or simply a great athlete like a Jason Poles or JR Johnson? I don't know but you sign kids like that up 99% of the time given the opportunity.

Thanks to all for the "insider" information about Carter in this thread--very cool info that you'd never get from a recruiting article.

Agreed. For all the shots "internet nerds" like us take, this is extremely informative.

The Gause's were having seconds thought about flipping but it never got serious. I think one interview Quentin did got blown out of proportion because he had a little unsureness in his voice. Quentin came to a syracuse game that season, and Cuse went on to win a bowl game, everyone assume Quentin would change his mind. The Gause family are loyal. His dad is one of those guys who believes in honoring a commitment. He's a real nice guy. Schiano did a real good job of gaining their trust. Hope the best for Quentin. It still burns me a bit, but it is what it is. . Im not sure if he will be better than Cam Lynch or Vigille. What bothered me most is that Quentin is not your typical football player. He is a character person. He does alot of stuff within his community, help local athletes with skill and character development. He had chances to transfer to powerhouse private schools, but he choose to stay at B kearney and be a leader and role model knowing that they were not going to be that good. That's the kind of stuff that Cuse missed out on.

And Young Thomas is now running track at Bingo...anyone know the story why he left Rutgirls? At least he ended up at a better school academically...did Shady and the F.A.M.I.L.Y. not love him enough?

And Young Thomas is now running track at Bingo...anyone know the story why he left Rutgirls? At least he ended up at a better school academically...did Shady and the F.A.M.I.L.Y. not love him enough?

Football can be fun when you're the fastest kid on the field and the guys tackling you are 150-170 pounds. When they're 250 and you're not able to consistently run away from them, not so much.

I believe it had to do with a history of concussions, bit I could be wrong.

I believe it had to do with a history of concussions, bit I could be wrong.

Correct on the concussions. And Mr. Thomas was a jerk, but as I recall the Gause family was vocal that Q wanted communications and Shady sold him on how the proximity to NYC somehow negated the Newhouse education and alumni network.

I'd add to this that this kid -- or kids like him -- may even be more polished and better coached than they get credit for. People give an awful lot of credit based on geography and pedigree (of the player and/or the program). Sometimes it's merited. Other times kids like this get no pub and end up being four-year starters. Will this kid be great or simply a great athlete like a Jason Poles or JR Johnson? I don't know but you sign kids like that up 99% of the time given the opportunity.
I suspect Carter gets a lot of coaching attention, but the fact is that Brighton is a small school playing in a weak league in Monroe County. The level of play in his video is nothing like what you see in the video for Zak Allen.
As for "pub", keep in mind that Carter set school records for rushing yards. He may not be known nationally, but he is one of the best 3 prospects in Rochester.
I know it is a tough comparison, but Carter could be something like Mike Williams -- has outstanding size & speed for the position, athletic ability that compares well with anyone we are likely to land, committed early, relatively under-recruited. Ready to play early because he is physically mature. He isn't a "development" project who needs to red-shirt and fill out.

The Gause's were having seconds thought about flipping but it never got serious. I think one interview Quentin did got blown out of proportion because he had a little unsureness in his voice. Quentin came to a syracuse game that season, and Cuse went on to win a bowl game, everyone assume Quentin would change his mind. The Gause family are loyal. His dad is one of those guys who believes in honoring a commitment. He's a real nice guy. Schiano did a real good job of gaining their trust. Hope the best for Quentin. It still burns me a bit, but it is what it is. . Im not sure if he will be better than Cam Lynch or Vigille. What bothered me most is that Quentin is not your typical football player. He is a character person. He does alot of stuff within his community, help local athletes with skill and character development. He had chances to transfer to powerhouse private schools, but he choose to stay at B kearney and be a leader and role model knowing that they were not going to be that good. That's the kind of stuff that Cuse miss out on.

Agree. An A+++ young man strongly recommended by friends in TV that he interned with.

BUT I'd bet if you go strictly by measurables, Carter is the same or better coming out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom