RB/LB Devan Carter (Brighton, NY) - Verbals to Syracuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

RB/LB Devan Carter (Brighton, NY) - Verbals to Syracuse

The Gause family are loyal. His dad is one of those guys who believes in honoring a commitment. He's a real nice guy. Schiano did a real good job of gaining their trust.
Too bad Shady didn't reciprocate their trust when he abandoned RU a week before LOI Day.

Your right JoeSU. I havent had the chance to ask his dad how they felt about the whole shiano departure. I guess i didnt want to rub it in their face. from what I heard, Quentin had a great spring and he's in the 2 deep.

I suspect Carter gets a lot of coaching attention, but the fact is that Brighton is a small school playing in a weak league in Monroe County. The level of play in his video is nothing like what you see in the video for Zak Allen.
As for "pub", keep in mind that Carter set school records for rushing yards. He may not be known nationally, but he is one of the best 3 prospects in Rochester.
I know it is a tough comparison, but Carter could be something like Mike Williams -- has outstanding size & speed for the position, athletic ability that compares well with anyone we are likely to land, committed early, relatively under-recruited. Ready to play early because he is physically mature. He isn't a "development" project who needs to red-shirt and fill out.

Maybe not physically, but learning the game he will be.

Nails.. one of the greatest signature clips I've ever seen.. love when his eyes focus right in on it.. and then he moves left so he can check them out on the jumbotron.
Thank you haha. It's hard to blame him for taking a look, he just happened to get caught on national television.

Thank you haha. It's hard to blame him for taking a look, he just happened to get caught on national television.
Once again providing proof to the female truism that all men are pigs. :)
(and as comedian Norm Crosby would say "I resemble that remark!")

I suspect Carter gets a lot of coaching attention, but the fact is that Brighton is a small school playing in a weak league in Monroe County. The level of play in his video is nothing like what you see in the video for Zak Allen.
As for "pub", keep in mind that Carter set school records for rushing yards. He may not be known nationally, but he is one of the best 3 prospects in Rochester.
I know it is a tough comparison, but Carter could be something like Mike Williams -- has outstanding size & speed for the position, athletic ability that compares well with anyone we are likely to land, committed early, relatively under-recruited. Ready to play early because he is physically mature. He isn't a "development" project who needs to red-shirt and fill out.

Oh, I don't doubt it. My point was that kids like Mike Williams were actually more polished than they get credit for largely b/c it's just assumed a kid from Texas or FLA has received far better coaching. I acknowledge this is probably often true, I just mean it's not always true.

As for pub, I just mean star services like kids from the right geographies for the most part.

I am the last person to pretend to know what we have in mr. carter, I just intended to point out that lack of stars/offers, small program, NYS recruit doesn't always equal developmental prospect.

Oh, I don't doubt it. My point was that kids like Mike Williams were actually more polished than they get credit for largely b/c it's just assumed a kid from Texas or FLA has received far better coaching. I acknowledge this is probably often true, I just mean it's not always true.

As for pub, I just mean star services like kids from the right geographies for the most part.

I am the last person to pretend to know what we have in mr. carter, I just intended to point out that lack of stars/offers, small program, NYS recruit doesn't always equal developmental prospect.

Completely agree. Great to get recruits from Georgia & FL, but Upstate guys like Sales, Broyld, and Mike Williams were among the best of their recruiting class.

As for what we have in Carter: a record setting RB (for his small school), with excellent size for LB, and top of the line metrics for the position (40 yd time; shuttle time). What is not to like?

Devon Carter just got upgraded to 3 stars at Scout and ESPN. Nice to see that these recruiting sites are marking up DM recruited kids now!

Devon Carter just got upgraded to 3 stars at Scout and ESPN. Nice to see that these recruiting sites are marking up DM recruited kids now!
Putting Carter where he should be because of those metrics (great size to play LB, speed, shuttle time). With his commit, the sites had to take a look.

Putting Carter where he should be because of those metrics (great size to play LB, speed, shuttle time). With his commit, the sites had to take a look.
with the new kids like Carter at LB, W Williams at DT, the new bball player DT/DE and on and on - the SU defense is certainly going to be legit BCS sized (with speed) for the first time in forever in a few more years - I like the way this is trending for the future - now just need the OL to stay healthy and bring in some FAST playmakers and the Orange could be legit ACC contenders

with the new kids like Carter at LB, W Williams at DT, the new bball player DT/DE and on and on - the SU defense is certainly going to be legit BCS sized (with speed) for the first time in forever in a few more years - I like the way this is trending for the future - now just need the OL to stay healthy and bring in some FAST playmakers and the Orange could be legit ACC contenders
Plus we have Juco help for size (Zion Jones) and a speed rusher (Markus-Brewster).
It is a good trend . . .

Now, realistically, the question is whether we are closing the talent gaps with teams like BC and Pitt.
On offense, we haven't landed highly rated WR talent or RB talent. We haven't shown much of a pass rush (other than individual efforts of Chandler Jones and Doug Hogue).
So, we need all the good trend we can get.

I did some 7 on 7 work with Devan and his team yesterday. He has a great frame on him. Big legs. Runs like a dear and has a great motor on him. When I watched him yesterday, I kept thinking Doug Hogue. He has that same body. I told him we need to get alex officer on board. He said he doesnt really know him but he's going to reach out.

I hear two things regarding Alex: he is looking elsewhere but we are also still very in it with him

I hear two things regarding Alex: he is looking elsewhere but we are also still very in it with him
I can't believe that Coach M wouldn't have a distinct advantage recruiting offensive line with his background, so hope this bodes well in the process.

well its getting closer to crunch time. They have to convince him to stay close to home

Kids gotta do what they gotta do. Maybe he becomes the next Q. Gause. One thing for sure, if he comes here he would need to put in the work required to become a lb.

Probably keeping his options open just in case the current staff is decimated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom