Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
bnoro said:
I spoke a little bit in our NunesPodcast about Robert and 44. I was always against un-retiring the number. But I honestly believe if offering him the 44 makes him say, "yes, 100%, I'm Orange" then you have to do it. He's a once in a lifetime recruit for this program. http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/2...-syracuse-national-signing-day-recap-football

You pull a out all stops when it comes to recruiting. Why should the Shafer have to get the blessing from TGD, Jim Brown, and Floyd Little? Gross shouldn't have a say what so ever, Little already gets paid a healthy salary from SU, and I don't even think Jim Brown has ever made a donation. This about here and now, not what took place 50 years ago. If you think giving a kid a jersey with a number on it will help you pull a possible program changing recruit you do it without thinking twice. This is kind boggling that it would even be up for consideration, and even more mind boggling you'd have to get it ok'd from them 3 first. It's almost like we don't want to improve the program with stuff like this.

How can he be a once in a lifetime recruit for the program when he wants a number worn by a heisman trophy winner, a hall of famer, and perhaps the greatest player ever? A wee bit if hyperbole.
They didn't play during his lifetime :)

How can he be a once in a lifetime recruit for the program when he wants a number worn by a heisman trophy winner, a hall of famer, and perhaps the greatest player ever? A wee bit if hyperbole.
In the current recruiting landscape he's a once in a lifetime recruit for this program.

In the current recruiting landscape he's a once in a lifetime recruit for this program.
I'll put it another way, too: we've yearned for YEARS for that one big time recruit who could attract other big time recruits, and who could start a series of dominoes falling to give us a big time class and push us back to respectability on a national scale.

THIS is that recruit. This is also the best chance we've had at a recruit like that in as long as I can remember.

Oh, and in case you are wondering about my stance on "44", I don't think it should be retired. Not many young players know about what it means and having it retired doesn't help keep the tradition/legacy alive. Maybe put a "44" on shoulder of every jersey or something to keep it alive, but I think it should be visible in some way to highlight our history/tradition.

Wait. . . You know 44 is already on the collar of every uniform right?

Because I'm certainly not going to ask people to send an e-mail to Dr. Gross and not do it myself, I just sent off a moderately lengthy, passionate, respectful e-mail about the importance of restoring 44, in my mind. Fingers crossed the administration will begin to see, with more e-mails, how important this is to many of the fans.
I just emailed him. Should we email Floyd as well since he works for TGD?

A few points to be made in addressing your last couple of post. The kid never demanded to wear #44 he asked because of his understanding of the legacy and being a fan of the movie Express. That's a big difference. To say it's a"red flag" or "special treatment" is going a little over board. This kids has offers from the who's who of colleges but still remains interested in Syracuse because of the tradition. The kid is friends with other top players that cares about where he commits too. We have 2015 prospects talking about him. What you think a 2016, 2017, ect would be saying if he committed to us? This could be a major land not to beat a dead horse. Being a Syracuse fan this conversation has given me breath of fresh air to be frank. What should we do keep #44 retired and allow the legacy to fade away? Or restore it and start a new refreshed legacy. I have followed him and I do have insight on this kid. You won't meet a higher character prospect. This is reflected in Stanford offering him in the 10 grade. Let's put that into perspective. Stanford don't offer that early unless everything is intact.

What should we do keep #44 retired and allow the legacy to fade away? Or restore it and start a new refreshed legacy.
That's a point I made in my e-mail to Dr. Gross, more or less. I said that I've always felt that a better way to honor the legacy of Brown, Davis, and Little, is to keep the tradition alive - not tuck it away in the rafters. Every time 44 is given to a worthy player, their legacies will be talked about. That's how you honor what they did for Syracuse football.

I doubt it would hurt. Letting more people know that we want 44 to be restored could only help get the point across.
Especially if they're meeting regarding restoring it. Wouldn't hurt to have him say people are telling him they want it back.

That's a point I made in my e-mail to Dr. Gross, more or less. I said that I've always felt that a better way to honor the legacy of Brown, Davis, and Little, is to keep the tradition alive - not tuck it away in the rafters. Every time 44 is given to a worthy player, their legacies will be talked about. That's how you honor what they did for Syracuse football.

I understand both views from the fans. I'm in favorite of restoring as you can tell. What some don't grasp that want to keep it retired is before the Express movie many outside Syracuse didn't know what school Jim Brown went too or what was the big deal about #44. Most people prior associated Jim Brown with his NFL number #32. What the Express did was show the importance and honor in #44 to the world. Which we didn't fully capitalize off of in my opinion. People may say it will cause conflict with current players. Okay fair enough but the reality is none of those players asked to wear #44 in a public way as Washington did while displaying a good understanding of the legacy. I actually like that he has the "you know what" to ask for it and he's not scared of the pressure. That speaks volumes to me. People that know him will tell you he is one of the most humble people you would meet. The kids does a lot of community work in the area and outreach that he doesn't broadcast like many athletes do. He could be nothing but a positive addition to the Syracuse family on and off the field. The legacy should not be limited to the numbers he would put up. Look at the character and quality of person we could add to the program. The kid is already the face of Team USA and was hand selected to carry the flag in a NFL stadium for his country. Team USA is sponsored by the USA Football and the NFL. Again I'm just pointing out other things besides what he can do on a football field. My last point the kid was offered in the 8th grade. As he noted in the article he has had pressure and spotlights on him his entire career. From what I know he has handled it all first class. It's no better way to honor the legends who wore #44 by allowing it to be wore by others who could represent the program in the manor that they did. No one could live up to Jim Brown, Ernie Davis or Floyd Little in my opinion but that doesn't mean that a new chapter of expectations can't be written for newer generations to follow. #RESTORE44

Last edited by a moderator:
Just stopping in to say - I think people are underestimating the clout Robert Washington has with top recruits in the 2016 class. That is all.

Most definitely. Talent attracts talent, and I have no doubt Mr. Washington will bring some guys along that wee normally may not have a shot with. For example he and Dwayne Haskins (#26 nationally ESPN ) are good friends, and have expressed interest in playing together. With Washington committing in about a months time he would have a full year to recruit for us. This literally could be a program changing type of recruit, not just because what he would bring to the program, but all the other talent that will tag along. We are due for a break, and this one could be it.

Wait. . . You know 44 is already on the collar of every uniform right?

Hmmm, no I did not know that. I guess what I should have said, then maybe, is that it be more prominently displayed. Perhaps even better, is more attention to placed to it to keep it more in the public eye. And I am embarrassed that I did not notice this before.

Most definitely. Talent attracts talent, and I have no doubt Mr. Washington will bring some guys along that wee normally may not have a shot with. For example he and Dwayne Haskins (#26 nationally ESPN ) are good friends, and have expressed interest in playing together. With Washington committing in about a months time he would have a full year to recruit for us. This literally could be a program changing type of recruit, not just because what he would bring to the program, but all the other talent that will tag along. We are due for a break, and this one could be it.

Sorry but no. We don't want that. Didn't you know he must be a low character kid for wanting 44?

I think someone posted this earlier in the thread, but with the current discussion these last few pages, and bam's urging of others to write to Dr. Gross, could someone please post his email again?

I think someone posted this earlier in the thread, but with the current discussion these last few pages, and bam's urging of others to write to Dr. Gross, could someone please post his email again?

http://.com/now-is-the-time-to-restore44/
Click on Dr. Gross name in the article by Jekelish.

Just stopping in to say - I think people are underestimating the clout Robert Washington has with top recruits in the 2016 class. That is all.
Mos def!

Took a bit to work up this graphic - or as the kids say "edit"...

robert44washingtonsm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors