Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me add this. Now all of this is on potential again every prospect is unproven until they hit the college field. Robert is no different. So let's rely on facts. Robert is 5'10 1/2 no shoes on. His current weight is 218 pounds. He ran times of 4.41 handheld and 4.47 laser. All done with multiple media sources and witnesses so nothing self reported. So at worst or on a bad day he's a 4.5 kid. The trend in the last couple of years have been quality RB's coming out of the state of North Carolina. Todd Gurley being one by the way serves as Robert's big brother and mentor.

I wanted to bring this to light because it's a little known fact. The thing behind Robert's rankings is a lot of these guys that do rankings don't care for Robert but have to acknowledge him. Robert doesn't give any exclusives to these guys and it pisses them off because they can't make money on subscriptions breaking a story on him. Robert breaks his news through twitter and does interviews after. That's a behind the scene fact. But when it comes to the actual college coaches he's at the top of their boards. Which is evident in his offer list. It's not another RB that has the kids offer list in the country 5 star or not. The kid had 25 D1 offers in the 10th grade. The value of what I'm saying is the Nick Sabans, Urban Meyers, Les Miles, Safers, ect.. Know what it is. To get a college offer the college coaching staff must evaluate your film. Meaning over 45 D1 and 20 D1aa schools have evaluated him and has offered him. He can be a 1 star or 5 star it doesn't matter. He has the college coaches respect. So no he will never be a 5 star and you will see players above him that will make you scratch your head. This stuff is a business just checkout how many of these "media" 5 stars was in this years Super Bowl. If Syracuse get's him that's POWERFUL. So worst case he doesn't pan out. Well that would mean it's a lot of coaches with years of experience that was wrong on him. Not a bad gamble on giving him #44.
Honestly, it's not a gamble at all as far as I'm concerned. Robert exemplifies what 44 stands for. We need to stop screwing around, and offer him the number, right now.

Please, Syracuse...stop playing games. Do it.

Let me add this. Now all of this is on potential again every prospect is unproven until they hit the college field. Robert is no different. So let's rely on facts. Robert is 5'10 1/2 no shoes on. His current weight is 218 pounds. He ran times of 4.41 handheld and 4.47 laser. All done with multiple media sources and witnesses so nothing self reported. So at worst or on a bad day he's a 4.5 kid. The trend in the last couple of years have been quality RB's coming out of the state of North Carolina. Todd Gurley being one by the way serves as Robert's big brother and mentor.

I wanted to bring this to light because it's a little known fact. The thing behind Robert's rankings is a lot of these guys that do rankings don't care for Robert but have to acknowledge him. Robert doesn't give any exclusives to these guys and it pisses them off because they can't make money on subscriptions breaking a story on him. Robert breaks his news through twitter and does interviews after. That's a behind the scene fact. But when it comes to the actual college coaches he's at the top of their boards. Which is evident in his offer list. It's not another RB that has the kids offer list in the country 5 star or not. The kid had 25 D1 offers in the 10th grade. The value of what I'm saying is the Nick Sabans, Urban Meyers, Les Miles, Safers, ect.. Know what it is. To get a college offer the college coaching staff must evaluate your film. Meaning over 45 D1 and 20 D1aa schools have evaluated him and has offered him. He can be a 1 star or 5 star it doesn't matter. He has the college coaches respect. So no he will never be a 5 star and you will see players above him that will make you scratch your head. This stuff is a business just checkout how many of these "media" 5 stars was in this years Super Bowl. If Syracuse get's him that's POWERFUL. So worst case he doesn't pan out. Well that would mean it's a lot of coaches with years of experience that was wrong on him. Not a bad gamble on giving him #44.
Also - regarding stars.

I don't care what any of the services say. Being a 4-star is outstanding. But I've watched Robert's tapes.

He's a 5-star talent if I've ever seen one.

I just read some of the posts regarding this topic on TOS.

Good lord. If this comes down to making him "earn it" versus just giving it to him, I'm going to be furious. No one made Michael Owens or Rob Konrad or any of the other 44s "earn it."

What a bunch of crap. Stop trying to teach lessons and play hardball, and land the best recruit we've been involved with in years. This is just immensely frustrating. Just close, Syracuse. Do what it takes to land this young man.

Exactly. The reality is if a current RB was going to earn it they probably would have already done so. Now if any of the incoming freshmen have a breakout season and want it, give it to them. I think Robert would personally hand it over to them on one knee. Just keeping it 100 if this upsets any current RB okay that works in Syracuse favor because that will add motivation. But on the other hand it shouldn't take all that. Syracuse should be RBU in the same manor Penn State is known for LBU. Lately RB's haven't been living up to the tradition. Now that it's a RB that has the "Potential" to live up to it some people are upset. Crazy. Playing hardball with a 3-9 season last year is not very smart.

This is going to keep me up because I'm so freaking frustrated. We have NEVER made someone "earn" 44. We've always given it to someone the coaches thought was deserving out of high school. ALWAYS. Where has this sudden idea that we have to make an elite recruit "earn" it over time come from? We SO are not in position to be changing up our MO on how we handle one of our best recruiting tools, especially when we've got an immensely talented recruit - with a lot of immensely talented friends - who very publicly wants to carry on the tradition of 44.

My god, this is just...

Ugh.

I'm just sitting here pounding my head against the wall, man. I don't get the hesitation on just pulling the trigger on 44. At all.
I just read the . . . . . . . . . blog on Robert and started to notice the responses. Mike M in particular. Good luck to Shafer and his staff if that's the approach. What's the problem with a kid wanting the number out of HS? Isn't that the original purpose for the number in the beginning? Some of them aren't getting the point of the "why" he wants to wear it. If it upsets a current RB I can understand but they didn't ask for it like Robert did in such a public way. Now after Robert ask to wear it they have a problem. Now people say hey give it to a upperclassmen that has earned it. Well ok that seems logical but that kid never made it that important. The thing is Robert is making it important and it has drawn a lot attention to the subject. All while understanding the honor of the number in which he holds it dear to his heart. I can guarantee if Robert goes in with that number and feels he will tarnish it he will give the number up. Or if he goes in and he's getting killed by a more well deserving back he won't wear it, That's the type of person he is. He get's it.

I believe most of the fans up here are very familiar with the situation and pretty much understand what will land him. If Syracuse is not the school everyone will know the why. And I wouldn't blame the fans for being upset with the powers to be. Because Robert commits to Syracuse if the number is offered. It doesn't take much to see that.

Food for thought- Why you think he pushed his commitment date from March to April 25th?

Link- http://syracuse.. . . . . . . . . /...staying-in-touch-with-robert-washington?s=185
Link doesn't work but...is it safe to assume that the staff told RW of the pending AD dismissal which played into the decision to move his announcement date? Staff and RW both hope that the new AD restores 44...

Link doesn't work but...is it safe to assume that the staff told RW of the pending AD dismissal which played into the decision to move his announcement date? Staff and RW both hope that the new AD restores 44...
There's nothing in the link about it, specifically - there's discussion about it elsewhere on TOS.

The staff is telling the family that they're working on it and not following up. That's a inside source. Maybe I'm saying a little too much but IMO certain people are dropping the ball. I won't call nobody out but sending DM to him about how many backs the schools on his list have is not good enough. You don't negative recruit period! You sell your school and what YOU have to offer. Obvious a 3-9 season won't work. Nor academics he can go to Stanford or Duke 2hrs away for God sakes. It's #44. The more and more I see the more and more I realize why programs are what they are. Trust Jim Harbaugh is not downing Ohio State to him or Nick Saban telling him how many backs LSU have. Crazy stuff that the common fan doesn't have a clue of.

Last edited by a moderator:
The staff is telling the family that they're working on it. That's a inside source. Maybe I'm saying a little too much but IMO certain people are dropping the ball. I won't call nobody out but sending DM to him about how many backs the schools on his list have is not good enough. You don't negative recruit period! You sell your school and what YOU have to offer. The more and more I see the more and more I realize why programs are what they are. Trust Jim Harbaugh is not downing Ohio State to him or Nick Saban telling him how many backs LSU have. Crazy stuff that the common fan doesn't have a clue of.
Always hate to hear about any kind of negative recruiting. I get from a fan perspective speculating what might shape a decision for a young man, but actively using stuff against a school is something I've never really gotten. I'd hate for people to negative recruit against Syracuse (and every SU fan knows it's something Rutgers has actively done in the past, and we've all hated it), so I really hope SU is not really getting into that sort of stuff.

I agree with you, it's more about selling what you have. That's why I've always felt SU was in good shape with Robert, mainly because we seem to check off everything on his list. And like I've mentioned in this thread before, that fact, coupled with the potential ace up our sleeve with 44, has always given me hope we'll be able to land him and make him part of the Syracuse family.

Always hate to hear about any kind of negative recruiting. I get from a fan perspective speculating what might shape a decision for a young man, but actively using stuff against a school is something I've never really gotten. I'd hate for people to negative recruit against Syracuse (and every SU fan knows it's something Rutgers has actively done in the past, and we've all hated it), so I really hope SU is not really getting into that sort of stuff.

I agree with you, it's more about selling what you have. That's why I've always felt SU was in good shape with Robert, mainly because we seem to check off everything on his list. And like I've mentioned in this thread before, that fact, coupled with the potential ace up our sleeve with 44, has always given me hope we'll be able to land him and make him part of the Syracuse family.

It's one person who did it and they don't coach a position. So it's not a reflection on the entire staff. But it's a major negative. #44 is no secret it has been put out there every which way he could put it out there. The family respects any approach to #44 that's taken. That means offering it or not. Say they don't offer it okay offer #5 then recruit him on something else but no negative recruiting against anybody else. That turns recruits and their family off. I could go in but I'm not on this public forum.

It's one person who did it and they don't coach a position. So it's not a reflection on the entire staff. But it's a major negative. #44 is no secret it has been put out there every which way he could put it out there. The family respects any approach to #44 that's taken. That means offering it or not. Say they don't offer it okay offer #5 then recruit him on something else but no negative recruiting against anybody else. That turns recruits and their family off. I could go in but I'm not on this public forum.
I'm glad to hear it's just one person. And hell, I admit that as a fan, I look at what other schools are doing in terms of recruiting, and I see other RBs and with early playing time being a factor, I think to myself, "Well, that could certainly help us out" but I hate that someone connected to the program is turning it around and using it as a negative. You have to turn that stuff into a positive for your own school. Don't mention other schools, just sell the fact that if he comes to Syracuse, he's got a fantastic chance to get a lot of carries as a true freshman. Boom. You've made your point about having a great opportunity that he might not immediately get elsewhere, without disparaging other specific schools. Don't get into the specifics. Just be sure to say that at Syracuse, there's potentially the kind of opportunity to play early that not a lot of programs can offer. "Come to Syracuse, and you'll have a chance to be on the 2-deep for a power five conference program with a lot of outstanding history as a true freshman."

Very strong words in here these past few posts. So if I'm following this correctly someone affiliated with the program was throwing stink bombs regarding some other schools on Roberts list?

And also the staff is trying their hardest to get #44 for Robert, but there seem to be holdups?

Seriously do we have the chancellors email? If so we need to take this restore44 to him! This is madness.

Someone in a position of authority / power has to be able to make this happen.

Also there are Cuse fans on TOS saying that Robert doesn't deserve 44? Those fools need to go be salty somewhere else. Madness, sheer madness.

All of this after just watching an episode of Vikings! Makes me want to go midevil on some fools!

Very strong words in here these past few posts. So if I'm following this correctly someone affiliated with the program was throwing stink bombs regarding some other schools on Roberts list?

And also the staff is trying their hardest to get #44 for Robert, but there seem to be holdups?

Seriously do we have the chancellors email? If so we need to take this restore44 to him! This is madness.

Someone in a position of authority / power has to be able to make this happen.

Also there are Cuse fans on TOS saying that Robert doesn't deserve 44? Those fools need to go be salty somewhere else. Madness, sheer madness.

All of this after just watching an episode of Vikings! Makes me want to go midevil on some fools!

Pretty spot on. I wanted to be real with the fans because honestly ya'll deserve better

There are so many people who just don't get the impact that Robert will have on our program. He is well connected with many of the other guys that play for the USA team, plus Aapri, Moe Neal, etc. etc and has already stated that he wants to commit early so he can work on getting others to follow him. Robert, IMHO is the best RB we have been recruiting since I can ever remember. Robert is a great RB, but he is also a great person ( I gather by listening to his interviews and other's interviews about him), I can't think of anyone else who would be such a great ambassador to bring the #44 tradition back alive. Like CaliLuv808 states, he understands the tradition and would gladly give it up if he was not living up to the tradition. Whoever is blocking this, needs to wake up and smell the coffee and understand what kind of impact this will have on our program. Great lineman want to block for great RBs, they make each other look better. Great QBs want to play with great RBs, a great running program opens up the passing game and vice versa. I just don't get why we as fans can see this, but the powers to be don't. Please restore 44 for this deserving, great RB and start the ball rolling to bringing our program back to relevancy.

The last 10 posts or so have made me depressed :(

In any case, CaliLuv, if all other things are equal, what do the other schools offer RW in comparison to #44? In other words, if 44 isn't offered up, what would make him select another school? Are they offering up specific things he has asked for? Or is it just a matter that a particular non-SU school better meets his other criteria?

I feel like there won't be an announcement on #44 until we get a new AD. It will be one of their first announcements to make a big splash with the fan base. Hopefully that means we get an AD in the next few weeks.

It also sounds like its #44 or nothing for RW.

I don't think waiting for a new AD makes sense. It's in the University's call. The new AD will go along with it because the majority of everybody thinks it's a good idea. Not just for RW (though he is beyond deserving) - but because Syracuse football is right when it's in circulation.

I sure hope it isn't Eric White.

No offense to anyone but I know that when other schools tried using negative recruiting at the end of last cycle to steal some of our commits the staff was livid. I think you remember that there were tweets from Eric about it. The only thing negative that I can think of that could have been said about any of the other schools Robert is considering is UNC. That being that the NCAA is probably going to sanction them because of the academic scandal that is being investigated there. I don't think that should be a surprise to anyone nor do I think that is negative recruiting. Just a statement of a real possibility.

Especially since White is (to my understanding) the guy Robert really first connected with.

Secondly, I hate to see Robert might be wavering over something like a number.

Dude is a star in the making, and if all it takes to get him here is 44, we need to just do it. But if "making him earn it" is what SU wants to do (which I disagree with completely) and Robert decides that's not good enough, Id have to wonder if SU was really everything he wanted.

Don't get me wrong, he is everything we need, everything we want, he is as classy a guy out there, and an exceptional football player to boot. But if he decides to go elsewhere citing a number as the reason (even if that number is 44) I think that just seems an unlikely real reason, especially if as we have heard, the staff wants to give it to him, and it's the ADs office that gets to make the final decision.

All of that said hopefully we are able to give him 44 and he comes here and everybody is happy in the end.

I can see the fear from the ADs office though, if they bring it back and whoever the first guy to get 44 (Robert in this case) flops miserably, or gets into trouble of off the field or gets hurt them fearing the backlash. I don't think Robert becomes anything but a classy star at the next level so I'm not worried about it. But I can see why the AD would be afraid of doing it.

Screw it, give Robert 44 tomorrow so we can get him in the fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom