Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is SU serious? Give him the damn number. Obviously he exemplifies it and brings more meaning back to it. This is just asinine. I thought the Miami Dolphins were my frustrating team.

Jesus lord knows we need a spike in fan interest. RW could take 44 and bring 5,000 additional fans to the dome. If they blow this I just won't conceivably understand our recruiting approach or authorities regarding "44".

Are there really that many hoops to jump through to unretire a number? I mean - really. Its not like you are raising the titanic.

CaliLuv808 just playing devils advocate here and this is a credit to someone I saw post this on twitter. It could be that 44 is tied to a lot of merchandising at the university. that may be some of the hold up. God only knows with the NCAA in its current state.

Here's my opinion on this:

No matter what's happening behind the scenes, I'm not a big fan of the growing sense of negativity on display with Syracuse fans. Obviously, this would be important. I think my stance on 44 is pretty well known at this point, so I get the frustrations, I really do. Hell, I was in this thread getting frustrated last night. But after sleeping on it, frankly, frustration leads to negativity and grumbling, and that reflects poorly on us and on Syracuse.

I want to Restore 44 very badly, and I want Robert to be the one to wear it. But until that plays out, I hope SU fans can start to refrain from lashing out at SU, because again - it's a very poor reflection on us, and could sour not just Robert, but other recruits who see it. Because believe it or not, recruits pay attention to what fans are saying, and it plays a role in shaping their opinions on college programs.

Even if the intention is to un-retire the number, but they want to take advantage of the publicity in some greater way than have Robert say it a commitment announcement. They can simply tell him that he will have the number, but there will be an event or something to unveil it.

Here's my opinion on this:

No matter what's happening behind the scenes, I'm not a big fan of the growing sense of negativity on display with Syracuse fans. Obviously, this would be important. I think my stance on 44 is pretty well known at this point, so I get the frustrations, I really do. Hell, I was in this thread getting frustrated last night. But after sleeping on it, frankly, frustration leads to negativity and grumbling, and that reflects poorly on us and on Syracuse.

I want to Restore 44 very badly, and I want Robert to be the one to wear it. But until that plays out, I hope SU fans can start to refrain from lashing out at SU, because again - it's a very poor reflection on us, and could sour not just Robert, but other recruits who see it. Because believe it or not, recruits pay attention to what fans are saying, and it plays a role in shaping their opinions on college programs.

Fact is Internet tough guys exist.

Here is the deal though. All of the fans cant be lumped all together. In every lot in life there are douchebags. Comments here or the even worse cess pool at Syracuse.com can not be vetted for trolls or people who just like to stir the pot.

This could quite possibly be my last public comment on this whole thing. this has grown into quite the beast at this point and Im not sure I can be publicly involved in it any more. Thats not so say Im not still behind everything I have said on the matter and support the whole thing 1000%...and I may decide to say something again later lol.

I got behind this restore 44 movement to help the coaches have all available tools for recruiting. I hate the idea that a coach who I admire and respect could lose his job after 2 or 3 seasons because he could use everything at his disposal. SU football has been in a slump its not news and its not new. A few bright spots here and there but not the powerhouse everyone wants it to be. This isnt the current staffs fault in any way shape or form. Imagine going on a job interview to a company that says hey we have had a hard time lately but we want you to jump on board. Who would be excited about jumping on board?

Ive heard all the arguments against restore 44. Quite frankly they boil down to three groups. One the retired number should stay retired..no reason just cause. Well for that argument I say if you love the way things are so much enjoy middle of the road teams. Two the what if he fails? what if you wait and give it to him jr year because he is blowing every record out of the book and he goes out and steals crab legs cause the spot light went to his head? You can never be sure of anyone so take a risk and give it to him. Im sure when Floyd was being recruited with the number there was a question in coaches head that day too. Three is the it shouldnt matter crew. This is the worst of them all. When a 17 yearold is sitting down deciding between all the top schools and your school and he is weighing how close one team he can join is to another team thats a ways away...maybe it something like this that puts you over the top. Hey they both have great coaches hey they both have great academics hey they both offer early playing time...one is a warm state one is a cold state...one is a dome one is open... one has 40000 fans the other 90000. If im in charge of offering im taking any advantage I can find. Id rather go down swinging than sit back thinking what could have been.

I have said before this isnt about bringing back for my son. i want this to go to the RB's. I have no horse in the race other than wanting this team to be great for my son. I love RW's make up on and off the field. I want a kid like him playing with my son and for them to be friends. Other than that i have no piece of this. I hope Robert picks Cuse for all those reasons. I hope Robert picks Cuse because I think he and what he brings to the table will turn this team from a good team to a great team. I think his coming here will be the difference between 3/4 full and a full stadium. Nothing but good comes from him coming here.

I will also say the last few days has been a crap show on forums twitter and comments on articles. I know in the past RW has said he likes Cuse with or with out the number I hope that is the same. As far as negative recruiting I believe the staff is completely against it and believe if they knew it happened it would be dealt with. That being said Cali said it was them dming how many rbs other teams have. I wonder if the staff member didnt even equate that to being negative. though I can see where phrased the wrong way it could come off negative.

Waking up this morning to this thread explosion last night has given me a head ache. Seeing the twitter explosion has driven that to a migraine. I hope RW picks Cuse I really do. I hope they restore 44 and he crushes records. I hope he leaves here and goes to the NFL and crushes records there and everytime he is on Monday night football I see him say "Robert Washington THE CUSE"

I couldn't even read the last page or two of posts because I was getting so aggravated. I had to just scan them. I don't see why the administration won't just do it at this point. I really don't see the negative. They can't say that it's too much pressure on the kid if he is actively asking for it. They can't say that if he isn't successful that it will tarnish the history of the number. Hello, Glenn Moore anyone?! Just freakin' do it. I will be more than pissed if it comes out that SU let him slip through their fingers when he could've been wearing orange (or blue, or grey, or white). Come on SU, DON'T SCREW THIS UP!!

This could quite possibly be my last public comment on this whole thing. this has grown into quite the beast at this point and Im not sure I can be publicly involved in it any more. Thats not so say Im not still behind everything I have said on the matter and support the whole thing 1000%...and I may decide to say something again later lol.

I got behind this restore 44 movement to help the coaches have all available tools for recruiting. I hate the idea that a coach who I admire and respect could lose his job after 2 or 3 seasons because he could use everything at his disposal. SU football has been in a slump its not news and its not new. A few bright spots here and there but not the powerhouse everyone wants it to be. This isnt the current staffs fault in any way shape or form. Imagine going on a job interview to a company that says hey we have had a hard time lately but we want you to jump on board. Who would be excited about jumping on board?

Ive heard all the arguments against restore 44. Quite frankly they boil down to three groups. One the retired number should stay retired..no reason just cause. Well for that argument I say if you love the way things are so much enjoy middle of the road teams. Two the what if he fails? what if you wait and give it to him jr year because he is blowing every record out of the book and he goes out and steals crab legs cause the spot light went to his head? You can never be sure of anyone so take a risk and give it to him. Im sure when Floyd was being recruited with the number there was a question in coaches head that day too. Three is the it shouldnt matter crew. This is the worst of them all. When a 17 yearold is sitting down deciding between all the top schools and your school and he is weighing how close one team he can join is to another team thats a ways away...maybe it something like this that puts you over the top. Hey they both have great coaches hey they both have great academics hey they both offer early playing time...one is a warm state one is a cold state...one is a dome one is open... one has 40000 fans the other 90000. If im in charge of offering im taking any advantage I can find. Id rather go down swinging than sit back thinking what could have been.

I have said before this isnt about bringing back for my son. i want this to go to the RB's. I have no horse in the race other than wanting this team to be great for my son. I love RW's make up on and off the field. I want a kid like him playing with my son and for them to be friends. Other than that i have no piece of this. I hope Robert picks Cuse for all those reasons. I hope Robert picks Cuse because I think he and what he brings to the table will turn this team from a good team to a great team. I think his coming here will be the difference between 3/4 full and a full stadium. Nothing but good comes from him coming here.

I will also say the last few days has been a crap show on forums twitter and comments on articles. I know in the past RW has said he likes Cuse with or with out the number I hope that is the same. As far as negative recruiting I believe the staff is completely against it and believe if they knew it happened it would be dealt with. That being said Cali said it was them dming how many rbs other teams have. I wonder if the staff member didnt even equate that to being negative. though I can see where phrased the wrong way it could come off negative.

Waking up this morning to this thread explosion last night has given me a head ache. Seeing the twitter explosion has driven that to a migraine. I hope RW picks Cuse I really do. I hope they restore 44 and he crushes records. I hope he leaves here and goes to the NFL and crushes records there and everytime he is on Monday night football I see him say "Robert Washington THE CUSE"

That's better than what I was going to say. :D

My email to the chancellor...I suggest you all take the chance to write him a letter to.

Hello Chancellor - First and foremost, I know you are an extremely busy man and I hope that you can find a few minutes in your day to read over my email. I feel that you are without a doubt the right man for the job at Syracuse. I did not personally go to Syracuse, but my father grew up in Syracuse on Euclid Ave and also graduated from Syracuse. As a child I spent many summers in Syracuse playing. I grew up to stories about the significance of 44, and how much of an impact the trio of greats who wore the number had on the city of Syracuse. I know that at its core, it exemplifies honor, strength, courage and tenacity.

It truly was a mistake by our former AD to retire the number. This is not some random number that belongs up in the rafters. This number IS Syracuse University Football. It is the defining trait of Syracuse football. They could have named The Express, "The Legend of 44" and it would have changed nothing about that movie. By moving 44 from an available number to a retired one is a big mistake. This should be available for the correct player, whether they live up to the standards set by 44 is beyond our control. But the number should be available. Right now it isn't and that might cause us to miss out on a human being who, from all reports, is as good of a person as he is a football player.

The movie, The Express, has rekindled the understanding of this number for today's youth. Younger kids who normally wouldn't know about the history and lore, now do. For example, there is an outstanding young man who is a consensus top 5 RB in the nation, and he is heavily interested in Syracuse. He is well aware of the lore, history and burden of being #44, and he wants to tackle that and restore the glory and pride of our great school and football team. This is exactly the type of kid we need to bring in. Success begets success. Mr. Robert Washington has gone on record several times stating that he is well aware of the history,prestige and responsibility that comes with wearing #44 and he wants to wear the number, and it would actually give SU an extreme advantage in his recruitment. There are also several other high profile 4 and 5 star players who want to play with Mr. Washington. He would be the first domino to fall that would bring in more high profile players, the likes we haven't brought in to Syracuse since the Donovan McNabb era.

Giving this kid #44 could be the springboard to bringing us back into the national spotlight. If we bring in a top 25 recruiting class while giving the headliner of the class #44, this would give us stories on ESPN, Bleacher Report, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, Yahoo and every other sports site out there. It would create a buzz among the casual fans. We might return to the top 25, which means we would start having sellouts again. Attendance would increase, concessions would increase, income would increase. We would return to national relevance, and all of this is possible by restoring #44 and offering it to this humble kid who, from everything I have read, deserves this number.

If that is the case, this is a no brainer decision. Please do the right thing and restore#44. I know you have the power to do so. Robert makes his college decision on April 25th. He is choosing from amongst Ohio State, Alabama, TCU, Michigan, North Carolina, and Syracuse. He has publicly stated that if offered #44 he would essentially choose Syracuse. This needs to happen. He has the grades to attend Stanford or Duke. He cares about our academics. He is a top 5 RB. He is the true definition of a student-athlete. He is humble, caring and down to earth. All you have to do is read interviews people have done with him and they all come away raving about how mature Robert is. He is the type of player who would become a team captain. That is the type of person who should be wearing #44. If we miss out on this individual because we sat on our hands over this topic it will be very sad indeed. There hasn't been a recruit this important in a very very very long time.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my email.

I really cant grasp the justification for not giving this kid the number! It is literally driving me crazy that SU can't get this right!

This kid is the right choice to start the next generation of 44! He exemplifies the standard of 44 on and off the field and comes from a great family. I know this kid is gonna be great, and I hope it's while wearing Orange. This program has become stale over the last 15 years and could really use the excitement and talent this kid would bring to our team. It seems like such a no-brainer to me! :bang:

Is there nothing we as fans can do? Most here have gone through multiple channels trying to get this done. The machine that is social media has been demanding the restoration of our beloved tradition for over a year now! Those individuals that are too short-sighted to see how badly we need this are being blind to the realities of our program's situation.

I was born into the Orange faithful and my fandom has never wavered, but I'd be lying to myself if I was to say that I am proud of where we've been as a program for most of my life. It's disheartening when you invest so much, and receive so little in return. In the grand scheme of things restoring this number will mean very little to those outside of our program and has the possibility of restoring not only tradition, but awakening a fanbase that has been stagnated by the lack of success as of late.

The SUAD seems to lack proactive policies in regards to our once proud program. There should be no question which way this decision should go. Please, I'm begging, Please give us and the future of our fanbase some hope!

#Restore44

I really cant grasp the justification for not giving this kid the number! It is literally driving me crazy that SU can't get this right!

This kid is the right choice to start the next generation of 44! He exemplifies the standard of 44 on and off the field and comes from a great family. I know this kid is gonna be great, and I hope it's while wearing Orange. This program has become stale over the last 15 years and could really use the excitement and talent this kid would bring to our team. It seems like such a no-brainer to me! :bang:

Is there nothing we as fans can do? Most here have gone through multiple channels trying to get this done. The machine that is social media has been demanding the restoration of our beloved tradition for over a year now! Those individuals that are too short-sighted to see how badly we need this are being blind to the realities of our program's situation.

I was born into the Orange faithful and my fandom has never wavered, but I'd be lying to myself if I was to say that I am proud of where we've been as a program for most of my life. It's disheartening when you invest so much, and receive so little in return. In the grand scheme of things restoring this number will mean very little to those outside of our program and has the possibility of restoring not only tradition, but awakening a fanbase that has been stagnated by the lack of success as of late.

The SUAD seems to lack proactive policies in regards to our once proud program. There should be no question which way this decision should go. Please, I'm begging, Please give us and the future of our fanbase some hope!

#Restore44

Send this to Syverud.

If we lose Robert Washington over the fact that we were unwilling to offer him the #44, that might just be the nail in the coffin for me. I can't even begin to express my frustration at that possibility. Just when you think the program finally has some forward vision, short-sightedness slithers it's way back in.

I'm going to send this to him along with a couple links to interviews and articles about RW. What are some good ones to send?
I'd advise against specifically referencing Robert too much.

This whole thing doesn't work if it's just about one player. It has to be about restoring the entire legacy. The chancellor isn't going to care about one recruit. I would actually suggest not mentioning Robert at all, if possible. Restoring the number has to be about a bigger purpose than a single player, otherwise it won't work.

(Obviously, we want 44 for Robert. But that's not the point here. The point is that, again, it has to be about restoring the legacy. That's far and away the best point of attack.)

I'd advise against specifically referencing Robert too much.

This whole thing doesn't work if it's just about one player. It has to be about restoring the entire legacy. The chancellor isn't going to care about one recruit. I would actually suggest not mentioning Robert at all, if possible. Restoring the number has to be about a bigger purpose than a single player, otherwise it won't work.

(Obviously, we want 44 for Robert. But that's not the point here. The point is that, again, it has to be about restoring the legacy. That's far and away the best point of attack.)

Is there an online petition for it? If not maybe it's time to start going down that road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom