Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is Robert Washington?

So important that JackBauer44 came out of his career-created hiatus to write up an evaluation of his film: http://.com/gridiron-recruiting-spotlight-rb-robert-washington/

I can't get to your site right now, but I'm so glad JB did this. I watched Robert's 2014 HUDL tape yesterday and wanted to ask you or JB about something "technical" I guess.

Obviously the highlights don't show plays where there is a play-action or other sort of fake handoff to Robert. What I noticed on almost every play is that he does this little "skip step" as the ball is hiked just before it is handed off to him, I'm assuming to give him a little boost of speed out of the gate or a second to change direction maybe?

I'm just wondering if this is something that could give away the play if he knows he isn't going to get the ball and doesn't do that same thing. But I don't know since the highlights don't really lend themselves to that.

Anyone have any input on that?

I can't get to your site right now, but I'm so glad JB did this. I watched Robert's 2014 HUDL tape yesterday and wanted to ask you or JB about something "technical" I guess.

Obviously the highlights don't show plays where there is a play-action or other sort of fake handoff to Robert. What I noticed on almost every play is that he does this little "skip step" as the ball is hiked just before it is handed off to him, I'm assuming to give him a little boost of speed out of the gate or a second to change direction maybe?

I'm just wondering if this is something that could give away the play if he knows he isn't going to get the ball and doesn't do that same thing. But I don't know since the highlights don't really lend themselves to that.

Anyone have any input on that?

I noticed what you are talking about. It seems like it is for the timing of the plays since they are running primarily out of the pistol. When he lines up as a slot receiver he no longer has that little hop.

If it isn't something he does for the timing, from a coaching perspective definitely could give away a play. However, to rely solely on something like this would be foolish on the part of opposition. This would most likely be a quick footnote on a scouting report, not the focus of it. Kind of like looking at an offensive lineman's knuckles to determine if he is pulling/dropping into pass blocking or firing off forward. It is helpful at times, but not something to rely on all the time. I have always been a believer that if teams are resorting to things like this to prepare then they are grasping at straws, so to speak. Our offense would have to be going pretty well for teams to be looking at things like this in order to stop us.

Those are some poor, misguided souls who will be very surprised by the outcome here, methinks.

Clearly written by someone who has read nothing rw has said about what he is looking for and is just saying they are the best fit because they are Alabama

How important is Robert Washington?

So important that JackBauer44 came out of his career-created hiatus to write up an evaluation of his film: http://.com/gridiron-recruiting-spotlight-rb-robert-washington/
Why, does Robert play tennis? :rolleyes:

So now they have this kid, AND Kareem Walker. That's two big time RB commits already in the fold.

EDIT: (Not that I think it matters, because I still think Notre Dame is the 6th school)

Speaking of Notre Dame, Dwayne Haskins just mentioned them (along with Florida) as one of the two schools standing out (ESPN Insider article).

Who knows what'll happen but as mentioned before, he and Washington have at least mentioned in passing possibly playing together in college.

“What really weighs into my decision is just four things,” Washington said. “Do I feel at home at school? Do they have great academics? Can I press for early playing time at this school? Do I have a good relationship with the coaches? Those are the four things that will really weigh into it. You can’t find a school that fits every criteria, but the school that fits the most criteria out of all of them will be the school I’m going to pick.”

"Do I feel at home at school" - Well you sister is coming here. How much more at home can you feel?
"Do they have great academics" - check
"Can I press for early playing time at this school" - None of the backs on our roster should scare you. Unlike at some of the other schools.
"Do I have a good relationship with the coaches" - From your own words "“With Syracuse, they have been recruiting me since 9th grade,” Washington said. “They were like my sixth offer. They have a good coaching staff and I have a really good relationship with their running back coach."

All checked off...Done and done...Plus we will throw in 44. As a 5th check box...

Last edited:
May believe McFarlane and Strickland stand as significant running back competition.

Neither guy is a slouch, and I believe McFarlane's poised for a massive year.

Both solid recruits, Strickland a legitimate 4 star, but I see no reason Washington couldn't feel at least slightly optimistic competing for snaps with them.

May believe McFarlane and Strickland stand as significant running back competition.

Neither guy is a slouch, and I believe McFarlane's poised for a massive year.

Both solid recruits, Strickland a legitimate 4 star, but I see no reason Washington couldn't feel at least slightly optimistic competing for snaps with them.
Yes, McFarlane, Morris, Stickland, Perkins, Fredericks are all solid backs. Not taking anything away from them. But in terms of star ratings, it's not the same as at most of his other finalists. Robert comes to SU, he'll be on the 2-deep as a true freshman. I guarantee it.

Yes, McFarlane, Morris, Stickland, Perkins, Fredericks are all solid backs. Not taking anything away from them. But in terms of star ratings, it's not the same as at most of his other finalists. Robert comes to SU, he'll be on the 2-deep as a true freshman. I guarantee it.
If he signs here, the only way he isnt on the two deep as a freshman is if he's injured

After James Mungro, who was the best RB recruit that SU has had in the last 25 years and committed to us over USC, Penn State, Michigan and Florida State, redshirted, there's no guarantee of anything.

After James Mungro, who was the best RB recruit that SU has had in the last 25 years and committed to us over USC, Penn State, Michigan and Florida State, redshirted, there's no guarantee of anything.
In fairness, when Mungro was a redshirt freshman, we had Kyle McIntosh, Dee Brown, and Rob Konrad getting carries. Not to mention McNabb. There wasn't exactly a pressing need to burn his freshman year.

In fairness, when Mungro was a redshirt freshman, we had Kyle McIntosh, Dee Brown, and Rob Konrad getting carries. Not to mention McNabb. There wasn't exactly a pressing need to burn his freshman year.

Just saying there's not guarantees of anything. Including of him even coming. If he commits, then I think it'd be time to worry about the depth chart.

Just saying there's not guarantees of anything. Including of him even coming. If he commits, then I think it'd be time to worry about the depth chart.
Oh, I agree. But I would have to believe that if Robert commits, he will be given absolutely every opportunity to earn a spot in the 2-deep.

I may be wrong, but I also think that he's going to graduate early, so he will almost certainly be here (or wherever he commits) next spring, giving him even more chance to earn a spot because he'll spring practice under his belt.

A few years beyond 25 , but in 1987 Michael Owens could have gone anywhere as a high school all american.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom