Reality Check...... | Syracusefan.com

Reality Check......

newmexicuse

All Conference
I really liked the way the team responded at gut check time, but though we did not take an L, this game exposed some things:

1. If an opponent focus's on him enough Trevor can be shut down. He lacks the size and athleticism to create his own shot. He needs some space. This is not to criticize the young man's progression, which has exceeded my expectations, it is just to state the fact that he will have some 0 - fer and 1 - fer types of games from deep. Ennis proved there were routes to the bucket, why doesn't Cooney drive more to make them play off of him a bit and open up some better trey looks ??? A starting 2G for a championship team can't be a one trick pony, and needs to be able to score in different ways.

2. This team badly needs a second reliable three point shooter. There may be some games where CJ or Tyler can fill that role, but we need another guy who can be counted upon off the bench sometimes. I hear that Bus is streaky, but that is OK for a guy in that role. He couldn't be any worse as a shooter than Trevor was last season.

3. Yes, today I appreciate that Silent G's D was a huge factor in the W, but he needs to be at least a minor offensive threat. Our end of game lineup with BMK and him in together meant that we were playing 3 on 5 on the O end. That won't get it done against teams better than St J's. Can you see us generating any O playing 3 on 5 against a team like Lville ?

4. CJ played half the game 1 foul away from having to sit down. If he had to sit for extended minutes this was a game that we definitely lose. Our only proven consistent front court scorers are CJ and Jerami. Again, we need a guy who could come in and score some - could that guy be the other Tyler ???

5. Jimmy - none better at coaching to win early season games, but I stand by my long term criticism of him that he needs to do a better job at developing guys for the March runs. I think Buss and Roberson would be able to contribute some this season if given some developmental minutes. Maybe BJ could even be a factor by the end of the season. We were up ten+ in the first half. Why couldn't frosh have gotten some run - one at a time for a little while ? If the lead shrinks to 8 then you get them outta there fast.

1) Based on the entire season, it's simply untrue that Cooney is a one trick pony. Based on yesterday, yes he was.

2) More shooters would be great, but not many teams are able to roll 3-4 good ones out there. If they do, the team normally has other glaring weaknesses. Wait for 2015 for the shooters :)

3 and 4) How many scorers do you want? This team has a legit 4 guys who can score 20 in any game. That's plenty. More contributions are always welcome, of course.

5) I trust JB with the rotation. Think he knows what he's doing. 5 mins per game for Patterson is not going to make any difference in March, when Patterson is likely playing 0 minutes anyway.

I really liked the way the team responded at gut check time, but though we did not take an L, this game exposed some things:

1. If an opponent focus's on him enough Trevor can be shut down. He lacks the size and athleticism to create his own shot. He needs some space. This is not to criticize the young man's progression, which has exceeded my expectations, it is just to state the fact that he will have some 0 - fer and 1 - fer types of games from deep. Ennis proved there were routes to the bucket, why doesn't Cooney drive more to make them play off of him a bit and open up some better trey looks ??? A starting 2G for a championship team can't be a one trick pony, and needs to be able to score in different ways.

2. This team badly needs a second reliable three point shooter. There may be some games where CJ or Tyler can fill that role, but we need another guy who can be counted upon off the bench sometimes. I hear that Bus is streaky, but that is OK for a guy in that role. He couldn't be any worse as a shooter than Trevor was last season.

3. Yes, today I appreciate that Silent G's D was a huge factor in the W, but he needs to be at least a minor offensive threat. Our end of game lineup with BMK and him in together meant that we were playing 3 on 5 on the O end. That won't get it done against teams better than St J's. Can you see us generating any O playing 3 on 5 against a team like Lville ?

4. CJ played half the game 1 foul away from having to sit down. If he had to sit for extended minutes this was a game that we definitely lose. Our only proven consistent front court scorers are CJ and Jerami. Again, we need a guy who could come in and score some - could that guy be the other Tyler ???

5. Jimmy - none better at coaching to win early season games, but I stand by my long term criticism of him that he needs to do a better job at developing guys for the March runs. I think Buss and Roberson would be able to contribute some this season if given some developmental minutes. Maybe BJ could even be a factor by the end of the season. We were up ten+ in the first half. Why couldn't frosh have gotten some run - one at a time for a little while ? If the lead shrinks to 8 then you get them outta there fast.

Completely disagree that we "definitely lose" if CJ had to sit down. Grant can be our #2 option behind Ennis. Either can get to the dish at will vs. anyone. they simply cant be stopped in that regard.

I do agree that Cooney will have many games where he is a non-factor. people get overly enthused about certain players and its a little funny. Cooney is actually being talked about on here as possibly the next GMac. That is just silly. There is a gigantic gap between the two. GMac could find shots no matter what. Cooney mine as well had stayed home yesterday. he literally did nothing.

Completely disagree that we "definitely lose" if CJ had to sit down. Grant can be our #2 option behind Ennis. Either can get to the dish at will vs. anyone. they simply cant be stopped in that regard.

I do agree that Cooney will have many games where he is a non-factor. people get overly enthused about certain players and its a little funny. Cooney is actually being talked about on here as possibly the next GMac. That is just silly. There is a gigantic gap between the two. GMac could find shots no matter what. Cooney mine as well had stayed home yesterday. he literally did nothing.
That is wrong - Ennis, at this stage of his career, is effective because he is NOT the #1 option. despite how terrific he has been, he is not ready for that role yet. Totally agree w your GMAC - Cooney comments.

Also, Grant and Ennis are not at the superstar level where they could get it done as a two man show.

All the time St John spent preparing to defend against Cooney allowed Ennis to have a great game. St John's defense was excellent up to the point Ennis took over by driving to the basket. Once they adjusted for Ennis, Grant and Fair started to heat up. Cooney would have been out there if it were not for Silent G doing such a great job on defense shutting down Harrison who was red hot. Cooney was had two shots that clanked on opposite rim. If he just had a little more height he would have had six points and we would not even be discussing Cooney. It was probably freezing in MSG and nobody was hitting threes other than the kid at half time!

I think we are splitting hairs. We are 10-0. Life is good!

GMac could find shots no matter what. Cooney mine as well had stayed home yesterday. he literally did nothing.

If by 'find shots no matter what' you mean jack shots up even if he wasn't open then yes he could find shots. Cooney is a lot more selective in his shot taking then GMac ever was. Part of that is the difference in his role on the team and part of that is he doesn't force things like GMac did. I love GMac but the guy never saw a shot he did not like.

Cooney played HORRIFIC yesterday. He didn't move without the ball at all. I questioned if he was sick or something?

That being said... Cooney will not be that bad the rest of the season. I'll bet on that.

How quickly we forget that we're a good offensive team. We won on offense and shot like 55% from the floor. It was turn overs and rebounds that kept them in it and our half court offense that won it.

Ennis has driving lanes because they sold out to cover Cooney.

CJ is a senior who knows how to play with fouls.

Its December we're good and getting better, yes there are some faults and we're not perfect but I don't mind our faults when I look around at the other teams.

If by 'find shots no matter what' you mean jack shots up even if he wasn't open then yes he could find shots. Cooney is a lot more selective in his shot taking then GMac ever was. Part of that is the difference in his role on the team and part of that is he doesn't force things like GMac did. I love GMac but the guy never saw a shot he did not like.

He also made more tough shots than any player in recent memory. he also won games for us by himself and is a top 15 SU player ever. Cooney will never be half that. Get over it. jeez.

How quickly we forget that we're a good offensive team. We won on offense and shot like 50% from the floor. It was turn covers and rebounds that kept them in it and our half court offense that won it.

Ennis has driving lanes because they sold out to cover Cooney.

CJ is a senior who knows how to play with fouls.

Its December we're good and getting better, yes there are some faults and we're not perfect but I don't mind our faults when I look around at the other teams.

St. Johns did nothing other than guard Cooney man to man with Harrison. They did not double, they did not help. He got completly shut down by simple man to man. its ok, we dont need Cooney to win, but can we please face reality.

He also made more tough shots than any player in recent memory. he also won games for us by himself and is a top 15 SU player ever. Cooney will never be half that. Get over it. jeez.

There is no reason to be snarky. I never claimed he did not make tough shots. I simply stated he was a volume shooter more than a guy who could get his own shot.

Your defensiveness is uncalled for.

That is wrong - Ennis, at this stage of his career, is effective because he is NOT the #1 option. despite how terrific he has been, he is not ready for that role yet. Totally agree w your GMAC - Cooney comments.

Also, Grant and Ennis are not at the superstar level where they could get it done as a two man show.

Ennis was the #1 option yesterday and he shined. And no one said we could win if they were out 1-2 punch all season. i simply stated that if CJ had to sit down with fouls yesterday to say we "absolutely lose" is comical and way way off base.

There is no reason to be snarky. I never claimed he did not make tough shots. I simply stated he was a volume shooter more than a guy who could get his own shot.

Your defensiveness is uncalled for.

agree to disagree. you just watched a different SU team than I did. its ok.
Saying he could not get his own show though makes me wonder if you ever watched a single game he played.

Ennis was the #1 option yesterday and he shined. And no one said we could win if they were out 1-2 punch all season. i simply stated that if CJ had to sit down with fouls yesterday to say we "absolutely lose" is comical and way way off base.

Given the way CJ was playing for a large part of the game it probably would have done him some good to sit down. He was very un-CJ like yesterday until the very end.

agree to disagree. you just watched a different SU team than I did. its ok.
Saying he could not get his own show though makes me wonder if you ever watched a single game he played.

Passive aggressive much?

If it is okay that I see it that way then why take another shot at me?

Good lord.

St. Johns did nothing other than guard Cooney man to man with Harrison. They did not double, they did not help. He got completly shut down by simple man to man. its ok, we dont need Cooney to win, but can we please face reality.

That was exactly my point, it was man on man, straight up defense, not some type of gimmick or box in one deal. I don't get all the talk about how they tried to stop Cooney. One guy with the responsibility to play man to man, denial. Same thing Louisville and other athletic teams will do. Lots of teams with athletic guards that will play him the same way.

Last edited:

CJ was out for an extended period in the first half when he got his second foul. I think he was out for 5-6 mins and only came back in when our C got into foul trouble also. We did fine while he was out...

Cooney played HORRIFIC yesterday. He didn't move without the ball at all. I questioned if he was sick or something?

That being said... Cooney will not be that bad the rest of the season. I'll bet on that.

True about him slowing down the 2nd half but not the 1st when he was non-stop motion looking to get open.

CJ was out for an extended period in the first half when he got his second foul. I think he was out for 5-6 mins and only came back in when our C got into foul trouble also. We did fine while he was out...
CJ played 36 minutes - he was only out for his usual 1 or 2 minute breathers.

CJ played 36 minutes - he was only out for his usual 1 or 2 minute breathers.
No watch a replay. He picked up his second foul at the ten min mark I think. He sat for at least 4 mins . I counted closer to five. We played fine during that stretch and increased our lead...

That was exactly my point, it was man on man, straight up defense, not some type of gimmick or box in one deal. I don't get all the talk about how they tried to stop Cooney. One guy with the responsibility to play man to man, denial. Same thing Louisville and other athletic teams will do.

exactly. I honestly cant understand how so many are saying St.Johns game planned to stop Cooney. That is very far from what happened. Cooney simply couldnt get open. Its ok though, Harrison will be one of the top defenders to guard him this year. Jimmy B will also add wrinkles to get him open now that he saw how easily a top defender can shut him down.

exactly. I honestly cant understand how so many are saying St.Johns game planned to stop Cooney. That is very far from what happened. Cooney simply couldnt get open. Its ok though, Harrison will be one of the top defenders to guard him this year. Jimmy B will also add wrinkles to get him open now that he saw how easily a top defender can shut him down.

Harrison did not help off of Cooney. That is game-planning. He tagged him all game long, creating openings for guys like Ennis to exploit. SJU absolutely game planned for Cooney. If they were playing defense like Cooney was any other guy, we don't see guys getting to the rim as easily as they did.

Harrison did not help off of Cooney. That is game-planning. He tagged him all game long, creating openings for guys like Ennis to exploit. SJU absolutely game planned for Cooney. If they were playing defense like Cooney was any other guy, we don't see guys getting to the rim as easily as they did.

completely disagree. Ennis, CJ and Grant have gotten to the rim at will every single game this year. Harrison wouldnt help off Cooney to stop an Ennis drive anyways. You help off your guy to double a big man. This has nothing to do with Cooney. I wonder if you watched the game? This was simply a more athletic guy completely stuffing Cooney. Simple as that. This statement is flawed in many ways.

Lets just move on. Cooney lovers will never see any wrong in him, even after he has the worst game any player has had this year.

completely disagree. Ennis, CJ and Grant have gotten to the rim at will every single game this year. Harrison wouldnt help off Cooney to stop an Ennis drive anyways. You help off your guy to double a big man. This has nothing to do with Cooney. I wonder if you watched the game? This was simply a more athletic guy completely stuffing Cooney. Simple as that. This statement is flawed in many ways.

Lets just move on. Cooney lovers will never see any wrong in him, even after he has the worst game any player has had this year.

First off - I watched the game. Secondly, your condescending tone is off putting. I know what I am talking about in this instance, or else I wouldn't be commenting on it.

You help off your guy to stop a ball handler from getting into the lane. If no one (wing player) helps on Ennis, a big man is forced to leave his man to stop Tyler from getting to the hoop. If he does that, Ennis finds the open big for a lay-up or dunk. It's that simple.

First off - I watched the game. Secondly, your condescending tone is off putting. I know what I am talking about in this instance, or else I wouldn't be commenting on it.

You help off your guy to stop a ball handler from getting into the lane. If no one (wing player) helps on Ennis, a big man is forced to leave his man to stop Tyler from getting to the hoop. If he does that, Ennis finds the open big for a lay-up or dunk. It's that simple.

My man, I played high school and college ball. I know the game as well. Cooney primarily runs the baseline. If Ennis starts to drive there is close to zero chance that Harrison would have been the one helping. Im sorry you dont agree, but its the truth. Tell Trevor i saisd Hi, because your unwavering loyalty to him indicates you must be a relative or close friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom