Really impressed with White's defensive improvement | Syracusefan.com

Really impressed with White's defensive improvement

OrangeDW

Living Legend
He's rotating and getting steals. Some of those blocks he's making from behind...looks no different than what guys like Grant, Fair, Southerland, etc. used to do. He has really improved on that end.

He's making some big shots too. He's really found his niche on both ends of the court for us.

He's rotating and getting steals. Some of those blocks he's making from behind...looks no different than what guys like Grant, Fair, Southerland, etc. used to do. He has really improved on that end.

He's making some big shots too. He's really found his niche on both ends of the court for us.
Improved pg play, having Lydon predominantly at the 5 and white def improvement have all been huge.

The guys on a mission, wants to go out on a high and he is being a great team player, cant ask for much more...

Hope he gets a legit preseason nba tryout, deserves it imo

The guys on a mission, wants to go out on a high and he is being a great team player, cant ask for much more...

I should also add that he's stepped up bigtime at the FT line too. He missed a few big ones early in the season, but he's been awesome late in games from the line lately.

I said it last week, and I'll say it again: this is his third defense (Nebraska's man-to-man is not the same as Kansas's) in five years. It's only fair to assume he would need time to learn. That said, he has definitely demonstrated his learning the last several games. That's a testament to the young man, and to the coaches teaching him.

White is a highly skilled offensive player. I can't remember the last Syracuse player who was able to use a pull-back-dribble-to-fade-away jumper to create space for a shot as effectively. He makes tough shots consistently. We are quite fortunate to have him here, and I continue to relish watching him each game.

Very underrated rebounder as well.

Totally agree. He is also the best contested shot maker I can remember at Cuse. We have had better shooters, but this guy makes a HIGH percentage with a hand in his face. It's incredible, and a valuable NBA skill.

White has such a smooth stroke and squares up so quickly. What has really impressed me is his improvement putting the ball on the floor and being so much more active on defense. He was 2nd in rebounds with 5 and led us with 3 steals today. He was 3 for 8 from three but also 4 for 6 from two. He's become a more versatile all round player whose decision to come here has paid off for both him and SU.

I agree with everything said. MVP of the team this year. Incredible shooter and has been going to the basket much better as of late.

White is now the glue. Rumor is he made corrections after extensively reading this board. In fairness, it took extra time because he had so much catching up to do due to the recruiting thread and all of the accolades. Rumor also has it Thompson is close to catching up for similar reasons.

I suppose patience is something Axl Rose has more of than many sporting fans.

LGO!!!

(PS: Can anyone predict what would happen on here if he should regress at all?)

White's struggle on defense was never due to lack of effort. He even said himself that playing the zone is counter intuitive to normal defense. He now knows the rotations and is showing it.

Totally agree. I never thought it was lack of effort either. Bottom line, it's hard to play the zone, particularly White's position in it. We have guys in their 3rd and 4th year that look lost at times, let alone their first in the system.

Very smart points made in this thread, especially when it comes to all the reasons why he has a high potential for making an NBA roster.

He does a few things offensively very well, he is now well schooled in several types of defense and he can make shots with his eyes closed at 6'7".

It will probably come down to effort as to his opportunity of sticking in the league as a program guy. But yeah, his ability to knock down contested shots is off the charts at the collegiate level.

His weakside help defense has been quite impressive of late, great positioning in the zone can mask quickness deficiencies every time!

It's funny what you don't see until its pointed out sometimes and I think he has appeared quicker these last few games.

Improved pg play, having Lydon predominantly at the 5 and white def improvement have all been huge.

I'm not going to toot too much but i've been down on my knees pleading to put Lydon at 5 for so many games now... JB has said the idea of TT at 4 is ridiculous (I preferred Robey there anwyays but he looked pretty timid lately) but Lydon is our only decent center...

Even Bennett was saying how they didn't convert the bunnies when they get it down low... you know how many times I've seen Lydon recover with his good movement and block/affect a shot nobody thought he could get to? He's a pretty good 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom