Really quick thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Really quick thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
Is this years ACC the best non-Big East conference ever? Possibly. Louisville would have certainly been the 7th team in the sweet 16 had they not suspended themselves. Several Big East incarnations still beat this years ACC due to more elite teams at the top, but off the top of my head no other conference has ever had this kind of depth, talent, coaching. Definitely not the Pac-12, Big 12, or SEC. Maybe some Big 10 conference in the 80s? Can anybody think of one?

Why are all basketball television personalities so stupid? It shouldn't take more than a minute of research to learn that MTSU has nothing going for it except for three point shooting and Syracuse is the best in the country at guarding the three. This was about as easy a game to pick as you will ever get in the tournament, yet every "expert" before the game picked MTSU. Are they just too lazy to do that minute of research? What do they spend their days doing?

MTSU put up 91 against Michigan St. and 50 against us. If Syracuse wasn't coasting to the finish with a 20+ point lead they would have held MTSU to half the points they scored against Michigan St. or less. Upsets happen, but what happened to Michign St. shouldn't happen to good teams. Michigan St. really isn't that good. I'd argue that they had close to a 0% chance of making the final four even if they were given a 1 seed and everything broke their way. Yet something like 29 of the 30 ESPN "experts" had Michigan St. in the final four. Why are they so stupid?

For next year, or maybe even next week, when people complain about our zone - I'll bet anyone $1,000 that there are MULTIPLE posts on the Michigan St. forum right now calling Izzo an idiot for never playing zone. The truth is, when it comes to zone, man 2 man, press, etc. no style is better than any other style. They all have strengths and they all have weaknesses. Criticizing which D a team plays is like criticizing someone for choosing wrong in rock, paper, scissors. No matter which you pick there is something out there that can beat you and something out there you can beat. There is no magic bullet to be had. The key is learning how to communicate and recruit to what you want to do.

One of the best parts of watching college basketball is watching players develop and improve. Tyler Lydon had such a terrible first half that it was embarrassing. He could have reverted into his shell, which is something he has done in the past. Instead he came out aggressive. That is growth. Get excited for next year.

Roberson had 9 rebounds in under 30 minutes of game time. I still think the biggest predictor of whether Syracuse wins or loses is Roberson's rebound total. He looked incredibly focused and effective out there.

Roberson better be both focused and effective next week, because its going to get a lot harder for him. Gonzaga is no better than we are, actually they are worse, but just as MTSU was a perfect match up for us, we are a perfect match up for Gonzaga. Sabonis is better suited to exploit us than any player we have come up against all year, and they have Wiltjer too. If I was a betting man, I'd bet on Syracuse's run coming to an end against Gonzaga. But on a positive note, its not like Gonzaga is unbeatable, and if things go well for Syracuse and they come away with the upset win I like their chances against anyone in the elite 8, even Virginia.

Will this sweet 16 run pay dividends next year? I think so. Both Lydon and Richardson are going to be able to look back on positive performances, Howard seems to be getting better by the day, and Syracuse is going to have a lot more good press behind it now than it would have if we missed the tournament. As they say, perception is reality. I still firmly believe it helps you to be ranked high all year. Next year might be Boeheim's best chance at one last title. As fans we have to hope hard that everything breaks right. Selection Sunday and the last two games were the first thing to break right. Hopefully its a sign of things to come.

Making the sweet 16 in a year where we got historically heavy punishments from the NCAA is a hell of an accomplishment. We are very lucky to have the team we root for be so good.

The big question is, when the zone inevitable collapses in on Sabonis somewhat , is there anyone beside Wiltjer who can hit 3s and make SU pay for the collapse. I think wiltjer made 86 3s this year. Next is Perkins with 46. If we just have to extend on Wiltjer on perimeter and no one else i think the zone matches up ok to zags. Their defense on SU offense i dont know much about that matchup but i like our guards more and i like Lydon and Mal obviously...

Or not so quick :)

Well done.

Although, I am probably on the opposite end of you regarding 3 point defense versus 3 point offense. You see it as glass half full, where SU's defense can shut down great 3 point shooting teams. I tend to worry before the game in a completely opposite way. It's why I would feel more comfortable about say traditional rugged teams than Middle Tennessee State in a way. However, that said, MTSU shoots 3's with that ranking against a much weaker conference.

Is this years ACC the best non-Big East conference ever? Possibly. Louisville would have certainly been the 7th team in the sweet 16 had they not suspended themselves. Several Big East incarnations still beat this years ACC due to more elite teams at the top, but off the top of my head no other conference has ever had this kind of depth, talent, coaching. Definitely not the Pac-12, Big 12, or SEC. Maybe some Big 10 conference in the 80s? Can anybody think of one?

Why are all basketball television personalities so stupid? It shouldn't take more than a minute of research to learn that MTSU has nothing going for it except for three point shooting and Syracuse is the best in the country at guarding the three. This was about as easy a game to pick as you will ever get in the tournament, yet every "expert" before the game picked MTSU. Are they just too lazy to do that minute of research? What do they spend their days doing?

MTSU put up 91 against Michigan St. and 50 against us. If Syracuse wasn't coasting to the finish with a 20+ point lead they would have held MTSU to half the points they scored against Michigan St. or less. Upsets happen, but what happened to Michign St. shouldn't happen to good teams. Michigan St. really isn't that good. I'd argue that they had close to a 0% chance of making the final four even if they were given a 1 seed and everything broke their way. Yet something like 29 of the 30 ESPN "experts" had Michigan St. in the final four. Why are they so stupid?

For next year, or maybe even next week, when people complain about our zone - I'll bet anyone $1,000 that there are MULTIPLE posts on the Michigan St. forum right now calling Izzo an idiot for never playing zone. The truth is, when it comes to zone, man 2 man, press, etc. no style is better than any other style. They all have strengths and they all have weaknesses. Criticizing which D a team plays is like criticizing someone for choosing wrong in rock, paper, scissors. No matter which you pick there is something out there that can beat you and something out there you can beat. There is no magic bullet to be had. The key is learning how to communicate and recruit to what you want to do.

One of the best parts of watching college basketball is watching players develop and improve. Tyler Lydon had such a terrible first half that it was embarrassing. He could have reverted into his shell, which is something he has done in the past. Instead he came out aggressive. That is growth. Get excited for next year.

Roberson had 9 rebounds in under 30 minutes of game time. I still think the biggest predictor of whether Syracuse wins or loses is Roberson's rebound total. He looked incredibly focused and effective out there.

Roberson better be both focused and effective next week, because its going to get a lot harder for him. Gonzaga is no better than we are, actually they are worse, but just as MTSU was a perfect match up for us, we are a perfect match up for Gonzaga. Sabonis is better suited to exploit us than any player we have come up against all year, and they have Wiltjer too. If I was a betting man, I'd bet on Syracuse's run coming to an end against Gonzaga. But on a positive note, its not like Gonzaga is unbeatable, and if things go well for Syracuse and they come away with the upset win I like their chances against anyone in the elite 8, even Virginia.

Will this sweet 16 run pay dividends next year? I think so. Both Lydon and Richardson are going to be able to look back on positive performances, Howard seems to be getting better by the day, and Syracuse is going to have a lot more good press behind it now than it would have if we missed the tournament. As they say, perception is reality. I still firmly believe it helps you to be ranked high all year. Next year might be Boeheim's best chance at one last title. As fans we have to hope hard that everything breaks right. Selection Sunday and the last two games were the first thing to break right. Hopefully its a sign of things to come.

Making the sweet 16 in a year where we got historically heavy punishments from the NCAA is a hell of an accomplishment. We are very lucky to have the team we root for be so good.
We will be requiring a game breakdown by Thursday.

It is just H0T Takes. I honestly believe very few of them in every sport (Bilas is the main one of the top of my head) actually believe what they are saying. You had Danny Kannell openly trolling SEC fans all year in football. It's just what draws now...it sucks.

Great post. Will be a tall task dealing with size and skill of Gonzaga.

Lydon's play on D was HUGE. Even Coleman was effective down there. I thought for the most part the team looked really dialed in and played pretty crisp ball. This was a good matchup. LGO! Couldn't be happier for all the reasons you posted.

I can't hit the "Like" button fast enough anytime you post!

We played such great defense tonight! If we play like that against the Zags, well, come on! Anything is possible!

I enjoyed your comments about the stupidity of the "experts." When they gave us all the non-love, I felt better about our chances.

Still, I never dreamed we would put together such a dominating performance. Astonishing! Amazing, as some coach might say. Amazing.

Next year might be Boeheim's best chance at one last title.

Great recap but one slight correction. This year could be Boeheim's best chance at one last title. People are still forgetting that we have two fifth year guards. A lot of teams that traditionally do well in the post season are teams with a lot of experience. We have four upperclassmen in our seven man rotation and our three freshmen the last two games are playing arguably as well as any group of three freshmen out there.

Friday night will be a tough game but if we win and face Virginia, I don't think there is any Syracuse fan that doesn't believe that we can't be them on a neutral court. Ya Gotta Believe!!!

We played such great defense tonight! If we play like that against the Zags, well, come on! Anything is possible!

I enjoyed your comments about the stupidity of the "experts." When they gave us all the non-love, I felt better about our chances.

Still, I never dreamed we would put together such a dominating performance. Astonishing! Amazing, as some coach might say. Amazing.
The conviction with which JB said all the "experts" who said we didnt belong in tourney didnt know what they were taliking about and how they were just being "cute"- tells me JB knew just how good the acc was and that his team was pretty good also...

The big question is, when the zone inevitable collapses in on Sabonis somewhat , is there anyone beside Wiltjer who can hit 3s and make SU pay for the collapse. I think wiltjer made 86 3s this year. Next is Perkins with 46. If we just have to extend on Wiltjer on perimeter and no one else i think the zone matches up ok to zags. Their defense on SU offense i dont know much about that matchup but i like our guards more and i like Lydon and Mal obviously...

I'm no Gonzaga expert, but my guess is Wiltjer sets up in the high post, with his size and his ability to shoot he could potentially give us a ton of trouble there. There is no doubt Sabonis will give us fits down low. I hope Wiltjer sets up outside the three point line, if he does I think that's a huge break for us! Assuming he's in the high post I dont think we have much of a choice other than giving up a few open 3's and hoping Gonzaga misses. If they can hit from 3, and beat us down low you then you just have to hand it to them.

When everything is said and done I think Gonzaga is going to be able to score against us. Our best hope lies in the fact that they are not a good defensive team (forget the stats, they play in a crap conference, they are not good defensively). If we can score 75 like we did today (or more) I think we win. If we are in the 60's I think we lose.

djcon57 said:
It is just H0T Takes. I honestly believe very few of them in every sport (Bilas is the main one of the top of my head) actually believe what they are saying. You had Danny Kannell openly trolling SEC fans all year in football. It's just what draws now...it sucks.

Trolling the SEC is always a good thing.

best game all year jb coached perfectly. went after them inside and made shots or got fouled. i thought howard should have stayed in longer. good things were happening when he was in, and they appeared to have cohesion. just mho

best game all year jb coached perfectly. went after them inside and made shots or got fouled. i thought howard should have stayed in longer. good things were happening when he was in, and they appeared to have cohesion. just mho

I love the minutes Howard played. I loved it when he stepped into his jump shot and made that 2 pointer. Much better than stepping back and missing. It was a really good choice to shoot at that time. I was really happy it went in for him. My hope is it will be a really good confidence booster for the next game and next year.

I agree on wiltjer in high post and sabonis in low post or baseline. All the more reason zone has to collapse- either to prevent them from catching the entry pass or already have them surrounded once they catch it. I agree , if they do all the things the zags are capable of on O (they really need to hit 3s to keep us from packing it in) then they are a tough matchup for SU zone and they could score it much more easily than dayton or mtsu...should be a v good game...

I love the minutes Howard played. I loved it when he stepped into his jump shot and made that 2 pointer. Much better than stepping back and missing. It was a really good choice to shoot at that time. I was really happy it went in for him. My hope is it will be a really good confidence booster for the next game and next year.

His defense looked sharp too from what I noticed - was very active, quick to react.

The Zags have a big backline, but not much bigger than NC and not as talented. We played them two tough games. It will be a heck of a game in Chicago and a lot will depend on how well our bigs can stay out of foul trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom