Reason for some optimism | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Reason for some optimism

What are the exceptions? Our games against ND in 2018 and 2020? I’m not even going to count the WVU bowl game because their star QB was sitting out.

So, we’ve played two games in Baber’s whole tenure against teams other than Clemson that actually deserved to finish the season ranked? Wow, how amazing. Actually, that seems pretty shitty to me.
What?

What are the exceptions? Our games against ND in 2018 and 2020? I’m not even going to count the WVU bowl game because their star QB was sitting out.

So, we’ve played two games in Baber’s whole tenure against teams other than Clemson that actually deserved to finish the season ranked? Wow, how amazing. Actually, that seems pretty shitty to me.
Typical troll.. cherry picking to try to incite some stuff. Wake last season? NC St?

Feel free to leave the board and stop posting your ignorant vitriol.

Semantics of characterization of schedules are irrelevant, his record is the only thing which is relevant. His record is way below .500 after six full seasons by anyones standard not good.
I hope for and will be rooting for better this year, but so far he has underperformed.
Most coaches have a good season and see at least a slight uptick, Babers had one good season and fell off a cliff.

Schedule is relevant when I’m responding to someone who claims we only play trash teams.

D3AC0F4B-7286-430E-A5CC-B95B968D4D47.gif

I feel like we have covered all of this ad nauseam. There are mitigating circumstances. Sometimes things are not quite so black and white - especially for a program that has been struggling to rebuild for two decades.

still waiting for a volunteer to kneecap Cunningham in his sleep… ideally just before their plane departs to Syracuse. We need a break to go our way to open this season. It’s time we start living up to the fanatic in fan.

We could all sit here and bash Dino all day for the mistakes he’s made, but what would be the point? If there was ever a time to be optimistic about Dino’s tenure, it’s now. We have 2 new highly thought of offensive coaches (that wouldn’t be here if we fired Dino) that we’re all excited about and that are light years better than what we’ve had since Sean Lewis left that excel in coaching up QBs just like the one we have now, we have a heisman candidate at RB (who wouldn’t be here if we fired Dino) and a very experienced and talented defense. We can’t change reality, and the reality is Dino Babers is our head coach. Instead of bashing him let’s respect the fact he went out of his tree and secured 2 big names in Robert Anae and Jason Beck to help fix the offense and get this team on the right track.

I didn't see the broader crux of his particular post as "bashing" but rather simply stating a fact in regards to what his ACC record is. It is absolutely putrid. And, he's also quite accurate that (let's just say) an extremely low percentage of P5 level schools would retain a coach with such a record after 6 seasons.

You could've easily responded to him in similar fashion as you did here, versus throwing shade his way, especially since you, in all probability, have never met this individual, know his story, etc. There isn't any need to make it personal. But, you did. As I said, it's somewhat hip here at times...proven also by the likes you received as well.

I'm not a fan at all of Babers the head coach. I do think he's a very good ambassador for the school, although, that is not what the main role of a head football coach at a P5 level school is. Winning games is first and foremost, in which he's paid rather handsomely to do. When you take an objective comprehensive view of his tenure here (as head coach) to date, he has failed miserably. I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

SU, in my opinion, has delayed the inevitable in retaining him. His "close your eyes," "faith without evidence," "year 4, 3rd game" (remember that one) etc., etc. are long gone. No doubt he can talk the talk, but unfortunately, where it matters most, incapable at this level of walking the walk. His record here speaks for itself and proves it. Moreover, he doesn't possess a track record of prior sustained success either (from a longevity standpoint, only 2 years at both Eastern Illinois & Bowling Green) prior to SU.

Last edited:
I didn't see the broader crux of his particular post as "bashing" but rather simply stating a fact in regards to what his ACC record is. It is absolutely putrid. And, he's also quite accurate that (let's just say) an extremely low percentage of P5 level schools would retain a coach with such a record after 6 seasons.

You could've easily responded to him in similar fashion as you did here, versus throwing shade his way, especially since you, in all probability, have never met this individual, know his story, etc. There isn't any need to make it personal. But, you did. As I said, it's somewhat hip here at times...proven also by the likes you received as well.

I'm not a fan at all of Babers the head coach. I do think he's a very good ambassador for the school, although, that is not what the main role of a head football coach at a P5 level school is. Winning games is first and foremost, in which he's paid rather handsomely to do. When you take an objective comprehensive view of his tenure here (as head coach) to date, he has failed miserably. I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

SU, in my opinion, has delayed the inevitable in retaining him. His "close your eyes," "faith without evidence," "year 4, 3rd game" (remember that one) etc., etc. are long gone. No doubt he can talk the talk, but unfortunately, where it matters most, incapable at this level of walking the walk. His record here speaks for itself and proves it. Moreover, he doesn't possess a track record of prior sustained success either (from a longevity standpoint, only 2 years at both Eastern Illinois & Bowling Green) prior to SU.
Making a lighthearted joke is not making it personal. I know nothing about this individual outside of the fact he is nothing but negative in every single post he’s made. Including saying he’d rather we lose every game just so Dino could get fired. Some of the points he made could be considered fair, sure. But going to the lengths he is however, is ridiculous.

still waiting for a volunteer to kneecap Cunningham in his sleep… ideally just before their plane departs to Syracuse. We need a break to go our way to open this season. It’s time we start living up to the fanatic in fan.
Its not like were playing clemson or alabama to open the season. We won against them the last time it was at night in the dome

Schedule is relevant when I’m responding to someone who claims we only play trash teams.
matter of opinion as to schedule strength, it is what it is, and you have to win against whomever. He has been until now a fail. We will see if this year is better, I hope it is, not for Babers, but for the program. The fact is, we can not keep playing at this level much longer and remain a power 5 school in my opinion.
Personally I think our schedule is adequate, it is results that are inadequate.

matter of opinion as to schedule strength, it is what it is, and you have to win against whomever. He has been until now a fail. We will see if this year is better, I hope it is, not for Babers, but for the program. The fact is, we can not keep playing at this level much longer and remain a power 5 school in my opinion.
Personally I think our schedule is adequate, it is results that are inadequate.

SOS isn’t a matter of opinion. I looked at our calculated SOS since Dino’s been here. Not what my opinion is. And nowhere did I mention winning or losing. I only responded to the claim that other than Clemson we have played trash teams. That is 100% false.

So Dino’s fired some assistants and brought in new ones? My God, who cares.

Firing assistants is what head coaches do the year before the head coaches get fired themselves, for in case you’re not aware.

And you seriously think that Sean Tucker is a Heisman candidate? Sporting News has a list of Heisman candidates all the way down to +5000 (50/1) odds, and Tucker is nowhere on there.

Yeah, Tucker probably would be a Heisman candidate if he was on a better team. But that’s just a further indictment of Dino.
Sue Park burner account?

SOS isn’t a matter of opinion. I looked at our calculated SOS since Dino’s been here. Not what my opinion is. And nowhere did I mention winning or losing. I only responded to the claim that other than Clemson we have played trash teams. That is 100% false.

I
I have already said that I thought our schedules were adequate, and obviously you think so. That does not mean someone else may not have a different take on scheduiing. They may be way off base but still their opinion. Trying to argue that is tilting at windmills.

I

I have already said that I thought our schedules were adequate, and obviously you think so. That does not mean someone else may not have a different take on scheduiing. They may be way off base but still their opinion. Trying to argue that is tilting at windmills.

He said they were trash and shitty. I asked him to define that and he didn’t. If he thinks a SOS in the 30’s back to back seasons and the others being in the 40s and 50s out of 130 teams is trash and shitty, then yes, his opinion is ignorant. And this year is the toughest SOS yet.

We don't have to give away free tickets. Just create the appearance of a sell-out. I keep saying there are thousands of mannequins in the abandoned JCP, Lord & Taylor, and Bon-Ton facilities throughout the county. It's really not this F-in difficult to pull off.

Let's see...you have suggested to fill the unsold seats in the Dome with "abandoned mannequins" and to kneecap Cunningham in his sleep the night before he boards the plane to SU. In the same thread. Gold

Fellas 1959champs is a troll. He came in saying positive things then each post became more and more condescending. He's been a member for 3 days. Its an easy tell. Its says a lot that a guy has to troll a 5-7 team. He must be scared of SU. lol

Last edited:
Shafer was 7-17 (.291) in the ACC after three years, and was fired with little if any controversy.

Now Babers is 15-35 (.300) in the ACC after six years. Not only is he being retained for year seven, but a whole bunch of people are defending him?

What the hell is the logic here?
It pains me how often I have to explain this but here goes

year 1: beat a ranked team, showed improvement. usually p5 coaches following a fired coach based on performance gets to call this year zero, understanding it’s going to take time

year 2: beat a #2 ranked Clemson, our star QB got hurt, depth still an issue, more progress

year 3: 10 wins, took the nat champs to the last drive or so at their place, good vibes… enough that

contract extension! Made sense, steady improvement capped by the first 10 win season since P

year 4: largely sucked, we made some bad hires, system slowly got figured out, QB depth etc. horrible stuff, but is on Dino. But he just signed an extension, not ugly enough to get fired

year 5: COVID. We’re not firing our coach in a year where we played 1 OOC, adhered to NYS Covid restrictions, etc. plus his buyout was high and the athletic depart was strained due to COVID

year 6: best RB in the ACC, so-so results, new hires on OL and DC start to yield fruit. Some call for his head, but AD rightly says these players haven’t given up on him so instead of eating his buyout, let’s spend that money on some offense and ST coaches. Leading to

year 7: possible Heisman darkhorse RB, multiple NFL draft picks, tough schedule, but high hopes > starting over with some other year zero HC

if we win less than 5 or 6, it’s going to be tough on Dino. But given the history laid out, I’m ok with it even though the record has been way less than what we’d expect

edit: I see I didn’t need to respond lol… oh well, I’ll leave this here for posterity’s sake

He said they were trash and shitty. I asked him to define that and he didn’t. If he thinks a SOS in the 30’s back to back seasons and the others being in the 40s and 50s out of 130 teams is trash and shitty, then yes, his opinion is ignorant. And this year is the toughest SOS yet.
Outside of this season, are those pre-season SOS or post season? I ask because I'm curious if our losing records play into that by propping up the teams we lost to.

Outside of this season, are those pre-season SOS or post season? I ask because I'm curious if our losing records play into that by propping up the teams we lost to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom