Reasons Our Staff Isn't Out Recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Reasons Our Staff Isn't Out Recruiting

We are making them come to us. It's called playing hard to get. I sometimes wonder if any of you have ever had girlfriends.
I think that explains the whole Dinosaur BBQ tweet. JB just sitting there waiting on some delicious food...

We are making them come to us. It's called playing hard to get. I sometimes wonder if any of you have ever had girlfriends.

First of all, you never let on how much you like a recruit "Oh, Jordan. Hi."
Two, you always call the shots. "Play for me. You won't regret it."
Now three, act like wherever you are, that's the place to be. "Isn't the Dome great?"

I think that explains the whole Dinosaur BBQ tweet. JB just sitting there waiting on some delicious food...
If Dinosaur BBQ can't get a kid to come I'm not sure I want him. Unless of course it's Ayala or Tucker and then I don't care.

First of all, you never let on how much you like a recruit "Oh, Jordan. Hi."
Two, you always call the shots. "Play for me. You won't regret it."
Now three, act like wherever you are, that's the place to be. "Isn't the Dome great?"
And the next part, only Tom Crean does.

If Dinosaur BBQ can't get a kid to come I'm not sure I want him. Unless of course it's Ayala or Tucker and then I don't care.
That first sentence is gold.

And the next part, only Tom Crean does.

Funny, now that I listen more closely, I *can* hear Led Zeppelin playing in the background... :p

images

Many think the fall off in our recruiting is driven by the reduced effort/presence of staff especially JB. And that may play a part. But I'm wondering if the conference change plays a role in this as much or more. The Big East was a great attraction for kids in the Boston - DC corridor. They grew up with it. Knew the rivalries. And the location was close for families & friends to see their games. I don't know that the ACC (as great a conference as it is) has nearly the same appeal to kids from these cities. Also Syracuse enjoyed elite status -- and success -- in the Big East. In the ACC we are nowhere near the stature of UNC & Duke. And let's face it, we are a middle of the pack program in this conference. IMO we have lost a lot of luster, even with two recent FF runs. Subjectively I think the change in our status has hurt our recruiting. That's my theory. What's yours?

Many think the fall off in our recruiting is driven by the reduced effort/presence of staff especially JB. And that may play a part. But I'm wondering if the conference change plays a role in this as much or more. The Big East was a great attraction for kids in the Boston - DC corridor. They grew up with it. Knew the rivalries. And the location was close for families & friends to see their games. I don't know that the ACC (as great a conference as it is) has nearly the same appeal to kids from these cities. Also Syracuse enjoyed elite status -- and success -- in the Big East. In the ACC we are nowhere near the stature of UNC & Duke. And let's face it, we are a middle of the pack program in this conference. IMO we have lost a lot of luster, even with two recent FF runs. Subjectively I think the change in our status has hurt our recruiting. That's my theory. What's yours?
That all makes sense. But, where are the kids going to go now from those areas? The ACC is probably a bigger draw than the AAC and Big East, although those leagues are not bad. I think the main culprit was the messy transition from JB to Hop. Hopefully having JB staying on and having it be open ended helps with recruiting, although, if used negatively against us, it could still pose a problem. Time will tell.

I think half of our problem is keeping the kids in Syracuse. They all seem to leave after a year or two.

Our best teams are a combination of 3 or 4 players that are upperclassmen, a couple of underclass players that could leave early and freshman sitting on the bench unless they're a 5 star recruit.

We have no depth with players leaving early every year and we have less scholarships on top of it. We've been forced to play people that aren't ready.

Look at UNC. Who has left early from their team recently? Jackson after his jr year...I can't even think of a player they lost early before him. Maybe James Michael McAdoo. We need to keep these kids on our team longer...This is a new problem that JB needs to fix.

They had to wait until after 420 which is a religious holiday in Syracuse.

SU is falling behind in recruiting because it can't offer the perks other schools have
free hookers (Louisville)
legal weed (BC)
side arms (Baylor)
ESPN coverage (UConn)
Media idolization (Duke,NC,Kansas,UCLA)

They had to wait until after 420 which is a religious holiday in Syracuse.

SU is falling behind in recruiting because it can't offer the perks other schools have
free hookers (Louisville)
legal weed (BC)
side arms (Baylor)
ESPN coverage (UConn)
Media idolization (Duke,NC,Kansas,UCLA)

You left out "24/7 media slurping and marketing + zero NCAA rules enforcement" - Kentucky.

I think half of our problem is keeping the kids in Syracuse. They all seem to leave after a year or two.

Our best teams are a combination of 3 or 4 players that are upperclassmen, a couple of underclass players that could leave early and freshman sitting on the bench unless they're a 5 star recruit.

We have no depth with players leaving early every year and we have less scholarships on top of it. We've been forced to play people that aren't ready.

Look at UNC. Who has left early from their team recently? Jackson after his jr year...I can't even think of a player they lost early before him. Maybe James Michael McAdoo. We need to keep these kids on our team longer...This is a new problem that JB needs to fix.
It goes a little deeper in my opinion. Losing the one and dones or the 5 stars doesn't bother me or really hurt the program that much. Eg. McCullough. But Lydon, Richardson, Ennis, Grant. Those are all players that were not anticipated to leave as early as they did. When you sign recruits outside the top 20 you really should be able to expect them to be there for at least a couple years (Ennis 22, Richardson 29). Lydon was 69 and Grant 39. Pretty sure they were expected to be here for 3 or 4 years. This whole "if you might be drafted then jump" thing is a relatively new phenomena and yes JB needs to somehow adapt better. BJ not redshirting as a frosh and Joseph/Patterson not being as good as expected also hurt. And that is all just in the past 5 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom