Recruiting 2020-2022 | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2020-2022

Has a lot of talent, remember reading his stats from last two years. With Lance now off to college we’ll see what he can do.

So what's up with all these 5 star recruits? Is it March, a new commitment by Desktop, combination, the new dome, or something else?

So what's up with all these 5 star recruits? Is it March, a new commitment by Desktop, combination, the new dome, or something else?
I think March simply has to be a part of it at this point, whether it’s his new offense attracting people or his skill as a recruiter or both. Also having a very solid year in 2019 and looking elite at the beginning of 2020, which was a major bounce back from an embarrassing 2018 season. Landing the very best recruit for the 2022 could have also pushed some of these guys over the edge into coming here. But really no way of knowing the main reason for sure. We will take it!

I really think it's a combination of things. Having last year's team ranked #1 with several All-Americans and players with personality was big. Kids identify with players and the current team has some with Scanlan, Trimboli, Dordevic, Porter etc). Having Hiltz flip to Cuse from Denver helped. Sounds like Spallina dreamed of playing for Cuse so may have chosen Cuse no matter what, but having a highly ranked program with March etc may have put him over the top. Spallina clearly has been critical to getting others on side. Classic case of winning, new blood (March) and a potential star in Spallina creating a domino effect.

Recruiting has been tough in recent years when kids and parents have choices of Ivey schools, Duke etc and Cuse has "struggled" relative to past glory.

I really think it's a combination of things. Having last year's team ranked #1 with several All-Americans and players with personality was big. Kids identify with players and the current team has some with Scanlan, Trimboli, Dordevic, Porter etc). Having Hiltz flip to Cuse from Denver helped. Sounds like Spallina dreamed of playing for Cuse so may have chosen Cuse no matter what, but having a highly ranked program with March etc may have put him over the top. Spallina clearly has been critical to getting others on side. Classic case of winning, new blood (March) and a potential star in Spallina creating a domino effect.

Recruiting has been tough in recent years when kids and parents have choices of Ivey schools, Duke etc and Cuse has "struggled" relative to past glory.

Spot on, but I would give Rogers some credit here. It sounds like he was instrumental in getting Dwan to commit and one of the other defensive recruits referred to him as a father figure in the recruiting process. Thats a pretty ringing endorsement. I have to think that he might be more involved on the defensive end, and March on the offensive end. Having two coaches heavily involved has to make the process easier (Rogers was doing it by himself for many years). Hopefully this means keeping players committed will be easier as well.

SU did put together a very strong 2020 class, but for a variety of reasons it fell apart (they did rebound nicely with Hiltz). Maybe because of that experience the coaches are more engaged and a bit more involved in the process. I think seeing a bunch of four star guys decommit must have lit a fire under them. Additionally it sounds like Spallina committing has been a double bonus as well since he seems to be recruiting himself. Having his father on board as the Team 91 coach is also a huge benefit.

They've done a fantastic job of building a strong 2022 class - as other posters have pointed out they had some built in advantages with Spallinas' fandom and additionally Kempney comes from a SU family. But still, to pull in other highly ranked kids, very quickly, is really something. They've got kids from all over the country, and I love the fact that out of their five stars, they hit the biggest three recruiting "hotbeds" in Long Island, Upstate NY and Baltimore. Furthermore they went right up the middle of the field with a defender, midfielder and attackman.

That went pretty fast once it got going.
It looks like only 1 of Ty Xanders 22 5-star recruits remains uncommitted
Charlie Johnson, D, New Brunswick
Only 16 of 72, 4 stars remain.

The Terps did pretty well with 3 5-stars like UVa, UNC, and Syracuse.
All were on the defensive end though, but I think that is what Maryland needed most. Makar will be a senior in 21-22, (he could stay an extra season), so the Terps needed a top d-man to replace him.