Recruiting 2020-2022 | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2020-2022

Brother of Max I presume. Committed to Hobart. Believe their dad played there.

Yes he is, SU took a look last year but Alex isn't the same athlete Max is. Good player though.

1605194244314.png

Wait does this mean our 2020 class is the 2nd best in the nation?? I mean I like it but that has to be a mistake. UVA didn't crack the top 10? Something is up.

The number 2 recruiting class for SU? I am a little (pleasantly) surprised to see that to be honest. Based on the the recruiting rankings it looks like a few SU guys had their ratings jump - Hiltz is #2 (was 3), Birstwistle at #36, Drago at #63, Ferris at #69 and Kol at #92. Besides Hiltz I can't remember what the old rankings were, but I think a few defiantly rose. Interesting how they decided to change rankings considering there was no HS lacrosse last spring ...

I think it might be a typo - on a different version of the issue the top 10 players are listed and Hiltz is in at #2. Sorry, I don't know how to paste the picture but if you follow the link you'll see the ranking corresponds to a player, not the team.

The number 2 recruiting class for SU? I am a little (pleasantly) surprised to see that to be honest. Based on the the recruiting rankings it looks like a few SU guys had their ratings jump - Hiltz is #2 (was 3), Birstwistle at #36, Drago at #63, Ferris at #69 and Kol at #92. Besides Hiltz I can't remember what the old rankings were, but I think a few defiantly rose. Interesting how they decided to change rankings considering there was no HS lacrosse last spring ...

Only the top ten are visible online. Everyone else is listed as "On the rise"

Good to see Ferris in the top 100 conversation. Don't believe he was mentioned earlier than this.

I think it might be a typo - on a different version of the issue the top 10 players are listed and Hiltz is in at #2. Sorry, I don't know how to paste the picture but if you follow the link you'll see the ranking corresponds to a player, not the team.

Ya its definitely a typo.

Only the top ten are visible online. Everyone else is listed as "On the rise"

Beleive you need to go to the team's page to see the rankings assigned to each player. Here is the link to SU -

Another interesting note from those IL recruiting pages:
Marquez White who flipped to Princeton down to 149 in their ratings
Carter Parlette (ND) down to 120
Russel Maher (UVA) down to 109

They all still seem quality to me but it does make the flipocalypse seem like less of a disaster, especially when those guys were replaced by the number 2 and 36 recruits. In the end the by far the worse result of that time was losing Zawada in the 2019 class. That being said I still think those three are quality players, especially Russel Maher.

So I took the plunge and purchased the recruiting issue, and it doesn't look like they actually ranked the classes at all this year - just the top 10 players and put out a long list of other players to watch. There are individual articles for each of the top 10 recruits, but little else besides lists. The Hiltz article looks worthwhile.

Still, the recruiting issue was always chock full of so much information, they discussed top 10 classes, other standouts from each position outside the top 10 and also looked at the junior and sophomore classes. I am guessing they scaled back since so much information has moved online, but its still dissapointing to see.

I'm thinking that these rankings might just have been an enumeration of the 4-star recruits just to keep count of them.
My reasoning is that top 40 recruits like Maher and McIntosh at UVa and Stephenson at Michigan had dropped down into the 100s, which seems a little much -- and based on what?

Anyways the rankings have been taken down now.

It is fair to note that they did name an UA All-American team and McIntosh and Stephenson were on it.

I don't think anyone at IL has ever seen Ferris play, besides maybe a highlight video. When Ty Xanders came on this site and welcomed questions, we posed a few and one of mine was, "Have you seen Ferris play? How do you see him fitting in when he gets to SU?" or something similar. Crickets from Xanders.

Zack, there are a lot of good high school lacrosse players. Dropping from 40 to 100 or so isn't that big of a drop. Normally I give IL the benefit of the doubt when they rank incoming freshmen and there are big changes, because they've gathered so much more information than they had the year before when the previous rankings were done and this is their BIG list that they work towards. They try to get it as right as possible. Also, they have some very interesting information this year, which is how these players have been doing in fall ball with their college teams. Normally they don't have that because they publish the list in September. So, they have about 2 months of fall info that they normally don't have.

Another interesting note from those IL recruiting pages:
Marquez White who flipped to Princeton down to 149 in their ratings
Carter Parlette (ND) down to 120
Russel Maher (UVA) down to 109

They all still seem quality to me but it does make the flipocalypse seem like less of a disaster, especially when those guys were replaced by the number 2 and 36 recruits. In the end the by far the worse result of that time was losing Zawada in the 2019 class. That being said I still think those three are quality players, especially Russel Maher.

I might be wrong but it looks like the 4 stars may be ranked alphabetically which is why it appears that so many players dropped.