Recruiting 2021-2023 | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2021-2023

According to Zach80’s list, this is all that is left of the top 10. I’m sure there is plenty of good talent out there, but if you’re going by IL’s list this is it.

Let me know if I missed someone.

Five-Stars
1. McCabe Millon, A, McDonogh (Md.) | Team 91 MD
5. Owen Duffy, A, St. Anthony’s (N.Y.) | Team 91 LI Bandits
7. Ty Banks, LSM/D, Western Reserve (Ohio) | West Coast Starz
12. Ben Beacham, M, La Costa Canyon (Calif.) | Mad Dog, West Coast Starz
15. AJ Nikolic, M, Malvern Prep (Pa.) | Mesa

Four-Stars
25. Brett Koopman, LSM/D, Santa Fe Christian (Calif.) | Mad Dog, Nation United
28. Elijah Stobaugh, M, IMG Academy (Fla.) | SweetLax FL
49. Jacob Pacheco, M, Boys' Latin (Md.) | Crabs

Kind of crazy. I am not sure how good SU’s chances are of landing these remaining kids are. One poster has said Millon is leaning to UVA and Duffy to Notre Dame. Beacham has a brother at Maryland. I don’t think SU lands many kids from Western Reserve or Malvern Prep but you never know.

Out of all the names I would think Stobaugh from IMG has the best chance at working out as I think there is a real need at midfield and the Orange have a connection at the high school. But he has posted a lot of his visits to social media and none of them have been to Syracuse.

Curious when they get their next commit. Do they till next spring/summer to see what other players might emerge? Or do they try and “finish” the class now?

Buggin

Dom commented "YESSIR." Does not sound like someone who is about to flip.

Duffy has a sister who just graduated from UVA. Interesting choice. This means Millon is likely to land at UVA or ND.

Buggin

That’s a shame. UNC brings in a lot of attackmen the next few years. They have five star Egan this year, five stars Petro and Matan as well as four star Wrede the next year and five star Duffy and four star Karestos the year after that. That’s a lot of highly ranked attackmen. Maybe they see some of them moving to midfield?

Still can’t believe they have seven (!) five star players in this year’s recruiting class.

Dom commented "YESSIR." Does not sound like someone who is about to flip.

Duffy has a sister who just graduated from UVA. Interesting choice. This means Millon is likely to land at UVA or ND.
Why ND?
I usually here UVa or UMd. Millon's mother was a lacrosse star at UMd. My guess is UVa, as McDonogh doesn't send many to UMd.

Why ND?
I usually here UVa or UMd. Millon's mother was a lacrosse star at UMd. My guess is UVa, as McDonogh doesn't send many to UMd.

I don't know, but it's a good school and program that could use an elite attackman after Pat Kavanagh graduates. Millon has visited ND, UVA, Georgetown, and UNC, and UNC just signed Duffy, so the first three look like the most likely options. I have heard he is very unlikely to go to Maryland.

I don't know, but it's a good school and program that could use an elite attackman after Pat Kavanagh graduates. Millon has visited ND, UVA, Georgetown, and UNC, and UNC just signed Duffy, so the first three look like the most likely options. I have heard he is very unlikely to go to Maryland.
Your logic about the visits might be totally on the money.

On the other hand, one might feel that living in relatively close to UMd and having a mother who went there, he might have visited the place quite a lot already. He could also be pretty familiar with Johns Hopkins or Loyola.

Your logic about the visits might be totally on the money.

On the other hand, one might feel that living in relatively close to UMd and having a mother who went there, he might have visited the place quite a lot already. He could also be pretty familiar with Johns Hopkins or Loyola.

Sure, but even if he's been to Byrd, Homewood, and Ridley a million times, if he's considering those schools, he's going to take an official visit to see the locker room, facilities, meet the staff and players, etc. Growing up near a stadium is not a substitute for a real campus visit once you become a potential recruit.

He may have officially visited these schools, I just haven't heard about it if so. But I know for sure he visited a bunch of the ACCs.

Sure, but even if he's been to Byrd, Homewood, and Ridley a million times, if he's considering those schools, he's going to take an official visit to see the locker room, facilities, meet the staff and players, etc. Growing up near a stadium is not a substitute for a real campus visit once you become a potential recruit.

He may have officially visited these schools, I just haven't heard about it if so. But I know for sure he visited a bunch of the ACCs.
You might be right, but the visits to those schools might of been more impromptu.

Another parameter one might consider is the fact that Millon might require a large scholarship, and thus (non-ivy league) teams in the running for him might need to hold back on their commitments till they know for sure.

Maryland 2 commitments (both 4 star)
Virginia 3 commitments (2 4-star)
Hopkins 4 commitments (2 4-star)
Loyola 2 commitments (0 4 -star)
Notre Dame 5 commitments (4 4 star).
(I don't really know what the deal is with Brock Behrman, who was a 2022 recruit but is on ND's 2023 list). Of course the younger Kavanagh would overlap Millon by 2 seasons.

You might be right, but the visits to those schools might of been more impromptu.

Another parameter one might consider is the fact that Millon might require a large scholarship, and thus (non-ivy league) teams in the running for him might need to hold back on their commitments till they know for sure.

Maryland 2 commitments (both 4 star)
Virginia 3 commitments (2 4-star)
Hopkins 4 commitments (2 4-star)
Loyola 2 commitments (0 4 -star)
Notre Dame 5 commitments (4 4 star).
(I don't really know what the deal is with Brock Behrman, who was a 2022 recruit but is on ND's 2023 list). Of course the younger Kavanagh would overlap Millon by 2 seasons.

This is good, I think you need to factor in other recruiting classes as well in this analysis - since the 12.6 scholarship allotment is not just a year by year basis. I'm not sure how complete it can be since we have no idea how much $ each kid gets from their school, but it's a fun exercise.

Duke seemed to take a year off last year from their usual prowess, but they might have already blown their budget on three top 10 players this year. UNC still has the 7 five stars from this year's class and three last year, so maybe Duffy is all they can bring in this year? UVA had three top 10 players last year that I imagine would take up a significant amount of money, and three five stars in the '21 class. Again, maybe they can only take so many highly ranked kids at this point? Notre Dame had only three five stars in '21 and '22 (excluding Behrman) so maybe nyclax is onto something with Millon? He also has been hyping Under Armor a lot on his Instagram account and ND is a UA school. Wouldn't that be something? Lacrosse would start to feel a lot like AAU basketball. Maryland bring in 2 five stars this year and 3 in '22.

Where Syracuse stands in terms of scholarship money would be interesting to hear about from those who know. I have to imagine Spallina is getting a full ride, but after that not sure how money is given out. Dwan and Kempney I'm sure aren't far behind.

Again, no idea how schools allot their money (that would immensely fascinating to me, but probably never going to get it). And I am sure a lot of the four star kids are getting money as well. I do kind of get that sense that some of these ACC teams, and Maryland, went big the last few years in recruiting and might not have that much money to give out this year, hence why we are seeing a lot big names head to non-ACC schools.

Last edited:
Maryland actually only has 1 5-star this year in terms of scholarships as Dante Trader is a football recruit.

One thing to think about is that the freshmen year of the 2023 recruits is the final year of a class getting a 5th year due to coronavirus. So some coaches might want to keep a little change in their pockets for transfers.

This is good, I think you need to factor in other recruiting classes as well in this analysis - since the 12.6 scholarship allotment is not just a year by year basis. I'm not sure how complete it can be since we have no idea how much $ each kid gets from their school, but it's a fun exercise.

Duke seemed to take a year off last year from their usual prowess, but they might have already blown their budget on three top 10 players this year. UNC still has the 7 five stars from this year's class and three last year, so maybe Duffy is all they can bring in this year? UVA had three top 10 players last year that I imagine would take up a significant amount of money, and three five stars in the '21 class. Again, maybe they can only take so many highly ranked kids at this point? Notre Dame had only three five stars in '21 and '22 (excluding Behrman) so maybe nyclax is onto something with Millon? He also has been hyping Under Armor a lot on his Instagram account and ND is a UA school. Wouldn't that be something? Lacrosse would start to feel a lot like AAU basketball. Maryland bring in 2 five stars this year and 3 in '22.

Where Syracuse stands in terms of scholarship money would be interesting to hear about from those who know. I have to imagine Spallina is getting a full ride, but after that not sure how money is given out. Dwan and Kempney I'm sure aren't far behind.

Again, no idea how schools allot their money (that would immensely fascinating to me, but probably never going to get it). And I am sure a lot of the four star kids are getting money as well. I do kind of get that sense that some of these ACC teams, and Maryland, went big the last few years in recruiting and might not have that much money to give out this year, hence why we are seeing a lot big names head to non-ACC schools.

Right on with your analysis.

I don't think Cuse has much money left which could be one reason why they lost Gravino to Maryland. Even assuming Deere is on the Promise scholarship, which doesn't count against the cap, they still gave out a LOT of money to the '22s and I'd assume Scott is also a full ride '23 in addition to Spallina. Scott had offers from everyone so I can't imagine he took significantly less money to play at Syracuse.

Most of these schools can stack money. Essentially they ask families to apply for financial aid. Based on those funds they may or may not give athletic money on top.

Then you have those affluent families that could care less about money. They just want their player to go where he wants.

I’m one that feels the school shows your worth with the amount of athletic they offer.

No excuses if Duke doesn't win multiple championships by 2027.

The mediocrity of duke last year despite a serious boatload of talent was not enough to scare anyone off I guess. Again, Dyson Williams, if things are feeling a little crowded over their our door is open!

12.6 schollies? The NCAA needs to come up with some way to figure out the schollie-financial aid conundrum. Or, maybe for kids like O'Neil and Millon, they'll just finance their educations with NIL money?

12.6 schollies? The NCAA needs to come up with some way to figure out the schollie-financial aid conundrum. Or, maybe for kids like O'Neil and Millon, they'll just finance their educations with NIL money?
I am not sure how much they can actually expect to make through NIL. I doubt being officially on "Team STX" or whatever equipment provider sponsors you is a serious haul of cash. Also there is the issue of there being only 2.5 Duke lacrosse fans in the whole world.