Recruiting 2021-2023 | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2021-2023

You can count on two hands the number of dollars O'Neill is going to make from his STX deal. It's more about building a brand. And the moral imperative of allowing kids to benefit from their own brands even if it's not much money. Perhaps, eventually, these kids can become Rabils and actually make serious money from endorsements, but that takes time. And effort. Posting an STX ad on Instagram every once in awhile isn't going to pay the bills or the tuition.

According to this it was down to Duke and UVA for Millon, with Notre Dame, Maryland, UNC also in the running (very creative list lol). I guess the silver lining is this leaves Maryland and UVA in a tough spot right now. Really surprised that UVA is not grabbing more highly ranked players. I thought for sure they would do better with this monster Georgetown Prep class (Kabiri, Christmas and Burns). Any insight wgdrs?

Maryland could still be in play for the few players in the Top 50 that are left. Maybe the transfer stuff really scared kids away finally, but again wouldn't be surprised if they did well with what is left. UVA could too, just can't remember the last time they didn't get any top 10 talent.

According to this it was down to Duke and UVA for Millon, with Notre Dame, Maryland, UNC also in the running (very creative list lol). I guess the silver lining is this leaves Maryland and UVA in a tough spot right now. Really surprised that UVA is not grabbing more highly ranked players. I thought for sure they would do better with this monster Georgetown Prep class (Kabiri, Christmas and Burns). Any insight wgdrs?

Maryland could still be in play for the few players in the Top 50 that are left. Maybe the transfer stuff really scared kids away finally, but again wouldn't be surprised if they did well with what is left. UVA could too, just can't remember the last time they didn't get any top 10 talent.

Gotta admit I am surprised as well how much UVA and Maryland has struggled (relative to their normal success). The B10 is kind of fascinating, Ohio State has done a nice job ditto PSU and Michigan to a slightly lesser extent but Hopkins and Maryland and Rutty are all off to slow starts, Hopkins and Rutty especially have struggled mightily as far as the top 50/100.

I mentioned this before but don't be surprised if there are a multiple flips next spring/summer from IVY schools and others (the academies) to UVA, Maryland etc. Both don't hesitate to keep recruiting kids and if they have extra $$ to spend I expect a few flips especially from some of the IVY guys who might re-consider once all the dust settles.

With an acceptance rate of 7%, admission to Duke is extremely competitive. Based on our analysis, to have a good chance of being admitted, you need to be at the very top of your class and have an SAT score of close to 1560, or an ACT score of around 35.

Everyone of those top ranked Duke recruits must be awfully bright

With an acceptance rate of 7%, admission to Duke is extremely competitive. Based on our analysis, to have a good chance of being admitted, you need to be at the very top of your class and have an SAT score of close to 1560, or an ACT score of around 35.

Does Duke still consider standardized test scores? A lot of schools no longer do.

Rutgers doesn't really build their team by getting highly ranked recruits. Brecht is very good at finding under the radar guys - and bringing in transfers.

Maryland's problem was probably more related to the schools that the top recruits go to.
Brunswick, McDonogh, Georgetown Prep, St.Anthony's are not good schools for UMD. Lehman turned out to be from a PSU family.

Rutgers doesn't really build their team by getting highly ranked recruits. Brecht is very good at finding under the radar guys - and bringing in transfers.

They're not recruiting well precisely because of all the transfers. It's a catch 22. They have to bring in so many transfers because they're not getting the recruits, but they're not getting the recruits at least in part because they're bringing in so many transfers.

Here are my guesses for the remaining top 50 based purely on hearsay. Let's see if I can do better than "Sirius Lacrosse":

7. Banks: Yale, Penn, Johns Hopkins
12. Beacham: Maryland, Denver, Notre Dame
15. Nikolic: Maryland, Virginia, Penn State
25. Koopman: Maryland, Denver, UNC
28. Stobaugh: UNC, Duke, Johns Hopkins
49. Pacheco: Loyola, Denver, Johns Hopkins

Gotta admit I am surprised as well how much UVA and Maryland has struggled (relative to their normal success). The B10 is kind of fascinating, Ohio State has done a nice job ditto PSU and Michigan to a slightly lesser extent but Hopkins and Maryland and Rutty are all off to slow starts, Hopkins and Rutty especially have struggled mightily as far as the top 50/100.

I mentioned this before but don't be surprised if there are a multiple flips next spring/summer from IVY schools and others (the academies) to UVA, Maryland etc. Both don't hesitate to keep recruiting kids and if they have extra $$ to spend I expect a few flips especially from some of the IVY guys who might re-consider once all the dust settles.

Rutgers doesn't have a long history of getting big name recruits, with the influx of transfers they've taken I'm not surprised to see them not getting a lot of kids.

It is fascinating to see what's been going on at Hopkins though - they flipped Todaro for their only five star (or star of any kind acrroding to IL) for '21 and the '22 class has no five stars and five four stars. Obviously this year they don't have many commits yet. They used to be in same sort of conversation as the ACC and Maryland but that seems to have fallen way off. Last year you could probably attribute it to them bringing in Milliman kind of late in the game. They seemed to focus a lot on Baltimore and the MIAA, but I see only one player from Loyola and one from St Marys for the most three recent classes combined. Petro got bit bad by the early recruiting bug, which gave him a lot of highly ranked classes but not a lot of wins. Milliman seems to be going after different kids, curious if it works out for them.

I am struggling to think of a time where a kid flipped from an Ivy to an ACC school. I am sure it has happened but I think, maybe because it's happened a few times as a Syracuse fan, it's more likely a kid flips from one school to an Ivy League. I agree with you that they will probably try and poach more kids (maybe from Navy), but not sure it will be from the Ivy League.

Rutgers doesn't have a long history of getting big name recruits, with the influx of transfers they've taken I'm not surprised to see them not getting a lot of kids.

It is fascinating to see what's been going on at Hopkins though - they flipped Todaro for their only five star (or star of any kind acrroding to IL) for '21 and the '22 class has no five stars and five four stars. Obviously this year they don't have many commits yet. They used to be in same sort of conversation as the ACC and Maryland but that seems to have fallen way off. Last year you could probably attribute it to them bringing in Milliman kind of late in the game. They seemed to focus a lot on Baltimore and the MIAA, but I see only one player from Loyola and one from St Marys for the most three recent classes combined. Petro got bit bad by the early recruiting bug, which gave him a lot of highly ranked classes but not a lot of wins. Milliman seems to be going after different kids, curious if it works out for them.

I am struggling to think of a time where a kid flipped from an Ivy to an ACC school. I am sure it has happened but I think, maybe because it's happened a few times as a Syracuse fan, it's more likely a kid flips from one school to an Ivy League. I agree with you that they will probably try and poach more kids (maybe from Navy), but not sure it will be from the Ivy League.

I could be wrong but I belive ND has flipped several former IVY commits, and Maryland has taken several from Navy. Seems unlikely to me all of these players will meet the academic requirements and I also expect a few to have second thoughts as the months go by and most of their peers are at Acc/B10 schools etc.

You're right Ivy -->. ACC flips are rare and when it does happen it's usually for academic reasons and not lacrosse ones.

Off the top of my head, the Ricciardellis (one '21 and one '22) flipped from Penn to ND. '21 goalie Alex Zepf also flipped from Cornell to ND but that was likely because of the coaching change at Cornell. All I can think of immediately.

Not ACC but Hopkins has flipped a few kids from Princeton and Harvard in recent years. Petro really was (and still is?) a master recruiter but he simply failed to squeeze the potential out of the kids he brought in. Hopefully for Cuse you get the best of both worlds: Petro's recruiting ability but Gait's management/development/culture. Hop should be ok, they have an excellent staff but as is often the case with coaching changes it's going to take a couple of years for the team to rebuild its identity/brand in the minds of recruits. Already seem to be doing well with Canadians in particular. Cuse has been trying hard to flip '22 Marquis.

I must say the recruits so far really fit the colleges they are committing to!

You're right Ivy -->. ACC flips are rare and when it does happen it's usually for academic reasons and not lacrosse ones.

Off the top of my head, the Ricciardellis (one '21 and one '22) flipped from Penn to ND. '21 goalie Alex Zepf also flipped from Cornell to ND but that was likely because of the coaching change at Cornell. All I can think of immediately.

Not ACC but Hopkins has flipped a few kids from Princeton and Harvard in recent years. Petro really was (and still is?) a master recruiter but he simply failed to squeeze the potential out of the kids he brought in. Hopefully for Cuse you get the best of both worlds: Petro's recruiting ability but Gait's management/development/culture. Hop should be ok, they have an excellent staff but as is often the case with coaching changes it's going to take a couple of years for the team to rebuild its identity/brand in the minds of recruits. Already seem to be doing well with Canadians in particular. Cuse has been trying hard to flip '22 Marquis.
Where is Marquis committed again? Hop? Another name that pops up frequently in the junior indoor league.

Where is Marquis committed again? Hop? Another name that pops up frequently in the junior indoor league.

Hopkins, correct. He and Deere are best friends and both come from the same reservation in the Montreal area. Very slick righty finisher who now plays for NJ state champs Don Bosco. Basically the mirror image of Deere. I know that Hop wanted Deere, and Cuse wanted Marquis. I would not be shocked if one of the two ultimately flipped. I have no inside info though apart from knowing both schools wanted both kids and each wound up with one.

Hopkins, correct. He and Deere are best friends and both come from the same reservation in the Montreal area. Very slick righty finisher who now plays for NJ state champs Don Bosco. Basically the mirror image of Deere. I know that Hop wanted Deere, and Cuse wanted Marquis. I would not be shocked if one of the two ultimately flipped. I have no inside info though apart from knowing both schools wanted both kids and each wound up with one.

Deere is a big SU guy, I can't see him flipping but anything is possible as we have seen.

It used to be that being a recruited athlete got you an admissions preference worth about 300 points on the SAT. I don't know how they work things these days. There's been some pretty good discussion on Fanlax (i think) about admissions preferences at the NESCAC schools.

For the five ACC schools, here are the Top 50 recruits for the 2020, 2021 and 2023 classes and the Top 10 ones for 2022 per Inside Lacrosse:

Duke
2020: #1 Brennan O’Neil A, #26 Aidan Danenza M, #28 Cole Krauss LSM/D, #42 Charilie O’Connor M
2021: #1 Andrew McAorey M, #2Keith Boyer LSM/D, #10 Jackson Gray M, , #17 Jake Wilson D; #29 Reed Landin M
2022: #8 Charlie Johnson D
2023: #1 McCabe Millon, A, #2 Benn Johnston, M, #4 Mac Christmas, LSM, #6 Tomas Delgado, M,

Notre Dame
2020: #40 Carter Pallette M
2021: #4 Chris Kavanaugh A; #34 Jeff Ricciardelli A, #49 Will Lynch FO
2022: #9 Brock Behrman A
2023: #33 Jordan Faison M, #39 Andrew Greenspan FO

UNC
2020: #3 Cole Herbert M; #5 Xavier Arline A, # 29 Collin Krieg G, #31 Colin Reilly M
2021: #7 Chase Mullins FO, #11 Tyler Schwarz LSM, #13 Johnny Schwarz M, #14 Dewey Egan A, #19 Paul Barton D, #36 Ryan Levy A, #38 Antonio DeMarco M, #45 Ty English M
2022: #2 Dom Pietramala A,
2023: #5 Owen Duffy A, #27 Brady Wombach FO; #30 Brayson Wilson G, #37 Niko Karetsos A

Virginia
2020: #12 Jake Naso FO, #17 Connell Kumar M, #25 Ben Wayer LSM, #49 Patrick McIntosh A
2021: #3 Matthew Nunes G, #8 Griffin Schutz A, #25 Tucker Mullen A, #26 Thomas Mencke A, #40 Thomas McNeal LSM,
2022: #3 Joey Terenzi M, #4 Truit Sutherland A, #10 Mac Eldridge FO
2023: #22 Wills Burt M

Syracuse
2020: #2 Owen Hiltz A, #47 Jackson Birtwistle A
2022: #1 Joey Spallina A,
2023: #21 Donny Scott, #43 Trey Deere A

Menke also flipped from Harvard to UVA, he was a UA All American this summer

For the five ACC schools, here are the Top 50 recruits for the 2020, 2021 and 2023 classes and the Top 10 ones for 2022 per Inside Lacrosse:

Duke
2020: #1 Brennan O’Neil A, #26 Aidan Danenza M, #28 Cole Krauss LSM/D, #42 Charilie O’Connor M
2021: #1 Andrew McAorey M, #2Keith Boyer LSM/D, #10 Jackson Gray M, , #17 Jake Wilson D; #29 Reed Landin M
2023: #1 McCabe Millon, A, #2 Benn Johnston, M, #4 Mac Christmas, LSM, #6 Tomas Delgado, M,

Notre Dame

UNC
2020: #3 Cole Herbert M; #5 Xavier Arline A, # 29 Collin Krieg G, #31 Colin Reilly M
2021: #7 Chase Mullins FO, #11 Tyler Schwarz LSM, #13 Johnny Schwarz M, #14 Dewey Egan A, #19 Paul Barton D, #36 Ryan Levy A, #38 Antonio DeMarco M, #45 Ty English M
2023: #5 Owen Duffy A, #27 Brady Wombach FO; #30 Brayson Wilson G, #37 Niko Karetsos A

Virginia
2020: #12 Jake Naso FO, #17 Connell Kumar M, #25 Ben Wayer LSM, #49 Patrick McIntosh A
2021: #3 Matthew Nunes G, #8 Griffin Schutz A, #25 Tucker Mullen A, #26 Thomas Mencke A, #40 Thomas McNeal LSM,

Syracuse

Thanks - should point out that IL still hasn’t done a Power 100 for the ‘22 class, just a top 10. I imagine for Syracuse, players like Dwan, Kempney and Thomson will be on the list of 100, and probably more.

Duke

Notre Dame

UNC

Virginia

Syracuse
Don't mean to be that guy, but Naso flipped from UVA to Duke and Xavier Arline is playing football at Navy and is uncertain if he will play lacrosse as well

I know the Hopkins fans are very excited about Marquis, so getting him to flip would be really great news. Thanks for the insight.

I imagine that before we start awarding Duke multiple NCAA championships, we should go back and look at previous Inside Lacrosse rising junior rankings
2015 - the class that just finished its senior year;

Looking at the 2016 listing we can see 2 flips from the Ivy League
Xander Dickson Penn -> UVa
Jack Myers Harvard -> OSU

Last edited:
Good stuck Zach - the 2015 list looks to have a lot of recognizable players, but the 2016 and 2017 are eye opening. I think I am a pretty big lacrosse fan but a lot of names I don't recognize at all. In fairness to the Ivy League kids, they haven't played in a year and half so they haven't had the same opportunity as some of these other kids. It is interesting to see how much the lists change by the time these kids are incoming freshmen. Seems IL does a better job by the time they are ready to enter school, but I am sure there are a lot of big names missing. I could be wrong but I don't think players like Michael Sowers and Grant Ament were ever Power 100 recruits.

Good stuck Zach - the 2015 list looks to have a lot of recognizable players, but the 2016 and 2017 are eye opening. I think I am a pretty big lacrosse fan but a lot of names I don't recognize at all. In fairness to the Ivy League kids, they haven't played in a year and half so they haven't had the same opportunity as some of these other kids. It is interesting to see how much the lists change by the time these kids are incoming freshmen. Seems IL does a better job by the time they are ready to enter school, but I am sure there are a lot of big names missing. I could be wrong but I don't think players like Michael Sowers and Grant Ament were ever Power 100 recruits.

Sowers was top 10 as an incoming freshman; may have been published by Ty Xander's old site Recruiting Rundown. Sowers played on USA U19 as an incoming freshman. Not sure about Ament, but imagine he was ranked considering how highly regarded his Haverford teams were.

I imagine that before we start awarding Duke multiple NCAA championships, we should go back and look at previous Inside Lacrosse rising junior rankings
2015 - the class that just finished its senior year;

Looking at the 2016 listing we can see 2 flips from the Ivy League
Xander Dickson Penn -> UVa
Jack Myers Harvard -> OSU
Brendan Curry was also originally committed to Penn