Recruiting 2021-2023 | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2021-2023

Michael Ippoliti, G, St. Dominic’s (N.Y.) | Shore2Shore — Syyracuse

Hey Orange Brethren,

I had previously posted that I have coached a lot of 2023s. That's true, and I had also promised I was going to put together a list of impressive prospects that I have coached, that were on teams I coached against, or that I have seen play at tournaments in fall ball, winter leagues, box or during the summer. I have not and I apologize... frankly it feels a little weird to be writing about it when I know many of them and their families. So I won't always be saying how I know the prospects - some I know very well and some I don't know at all. I suspect some of the players I have been most waiting to see get some ink won't get any at all. Those are the ones I'm most looking forward to sharing. But above all, remember I am only reporting on who I have seen... the services we all pay attention to have seen more kids from '23 than I have and most of them more recently than I have watched them play. I'm not trying to paint myself as being a guru... I'm not - I'm just sharing observations on the board I've been participating on for decades because you all have shared so much with me.

Just off of IL Rankings articles :

From the Top 50:

Rob Simone (FO - Lawrenceville/NJ Riot) - Great player and athlete and has been dominant since I first saw him when he was in middle school. Not surprised to see him in the Top 50.

Second Wave:

Colin Kurdyla (M - Bridgewater-Raritan/2 Knights) - Haven't seen him play since middle school but it was apparent then that he is a handful and his shot from outside was insane. Absolute rifle and he gets it off quickly and unexpectedly.

Mark Marino (A/M - Don Bosco/NJ Riot) - Don't know a ton except to say that when I saw him play as a young player his fundamentals were beyond his years and it stuck out like a sore thumb. IL article says he could move to Middie? Fine but he would be wasted at D Middie... elite offensive skills.

Fourth Wave:

Jake Melchionni (LSM - Delbarton/Leading Edge) - Jake is truly a dominant and elite, highly-skilled player. He is fearless and plays WAY bigger than his size and leaves EVERYTHING on the field. I don't specifically know how big he is currently, but if I'm a college coach I take him, put pounds on him and call it a day. His highlights are all legit and what, 8 minutes long in the IL video? Jake has had a LASER shot since the day he opted to move to LSM from Midfield. Would LOVE IT if he ended up at SU. So what's the rub? Dad (Keith) was an HM All-American at Duke in '89.

--------

Not going to write much about the top ranked kids... don't have anything unique to share. As I have posted, Owen Duffy is legit and hopefully he wants to join the Spallinas here since he's played with them for so long. I saw them play together this summer and Owen (and Leo Hoffman) were as good as billed. As far as I know I have not seen Millon play.

I'll revise this as we go.

Maddox Johnson would be a great 23 pickup, he plays for FL Sweetlax. Energiser bunny type middie who can score and feed.

Conry better start winning at Michigan with all these recruits he's bringing in. Been there five years now. They have the players, the facilities, and the support to compete seriously in the Big Ten. There is no reason they shouldn't be finishing in the top 4 in that conference more often than not and getting into the mix for at-large bids to the NCAAs.

Similar story for Amplo/Navy in the Patriot League.

There are so many Sweetlax players in the rankings this year, especially midfielders. I get the sense IL didn't see that many club teams play this summer. May not have necessarily been their fault as I know some clubs still had a lighter schedule as we transition out of Covid.

Looking at 15 players in the 2022 class. 13 in the 21 Class. With the extra year players and the size of these classes, how many players will be in the 2023 class? Athletic scholarship money has to be scarce.

Last edited:
Looking at 15 players in the 2022 class. 13 in the 21 Class. With the extra year players and the size of these classes, how many players will be in the 2023 class? Athletic scholarship money has to be scares.
There are only 12.6 scholarships. Per year. Per team. It’s always scarce.

Looking at 15 players in the 2022 class. 13 in the 21 Class. With the extra year players and the size of these classes, how many players will be in the 2023 class? Athletic scholarship money has to be scares.

It's a good question. Gait said he wanted to focus on quality and not quantity in recruiting classes (smaller, but better players). Bringing in 15 kids (he has added three players to the class: Beck, Figuerias and Thomson, and lost Friedman) kind of goes against that, but he didn't build the majority of that class so he probably feels like he can add to it. Maybe the '23 class is smaller but a lot of it probably depends on how many of their targets decide that Syracuse is the right fit. I'm sure they aren't going to tell certain kids no just because they hit an internal cap.

Scholarship $ is a big part of the equation. I have to imagine that Spallina, Dwan and Kempney are getting a decent amount. If I am doing my math right, I think Cook, Magnan and Fiorini would graduate in '23 (the fifth year complicates things so I could be wrong) but that could also free up some money as they were UA All Americans.

I imagine to flip a player from another team will include a good financial offer. In the case of the two that flipped the tuitions at Rutgers and Michigan are much cheaper than Syracuse.

This class is shaping up as another monster. 5th four star and the 2nd with legit 5 star potential. Gait doing work but March and Petro are 5 star recruiters who are clearly paying massive dividends already in Petro's case and March continues to kill it on the trail.

Love it, great to get back into the Native American pipeline as well. So many uniquely talented players in our backyard.

This kid's not really in our backyard though. But I don't think any schools other than Vermont, Siena, or Albany are any closer. The Promise Scholarship looms large.

This kid's not really in our backyard though. But I don't think any schools other than Vermont, Siena, or Albany are any closer. The Promise Scholarship looms large.

Lol I consider any part of NYS (besides NYC) as our backyard for Lax and Native Players but I get your point as were not talking about the Onondaga rez here.