Recruiting higher rated kids. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting higher rated kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think its so obvious they aren't a good talent identification organization that no matter what they say we all shouldn't be so innocent. It's basically a straw-man's argument.
We blame the recruiting services for something we all know (or easily should know) they aren't and ignore what they really do really well. Stop looking at stars so literally, look at the info, offers, visits and videos and love them for what they do really well.
Have you missed or ignored the people on here that have said the stars matter? Obviously, there are people that think they are legitimate talent evaluators.

Have you missed or ignored the people on here that have said the stars matter? Obviously, there are people that think they are legitimate talent evaluators.
Stars do matter, just not in the way people think they do. They are not an absolute objective determination but a correlation of talent. Alot of people use them incorrectly.
They don't matter as a direct coach assessment but more as a reflection of their offers and athletic talent. Its like using a GPA to determine how much money someone will make when they're 30? GPA's matter just not to determine what money people will make years later, but high GPAs usually mean they will make more money than dumb people.

A lot of times I look at our recruits offers and I get offended kinda. Most are low level p-5 level kids who we saw having potential and offered. 2 weeks later Cuse legacy tells us 20 teams offered. We are great at finding talented kids under the star radar. If Boller was here we would be outta this world but they know their shiiiiit.

It will be interesting to see in the next few seasons as our recruiting really begins to take off how wedded people are to their “stars dont matter” takes.
Hah! Indeed, we'll like it. We DO think many of the kids are deserving of that ranking. We also see the flaws and inconsistency in the system.

I would be willing to fight thru a few seasons where we get a lot of five and four star kids just to see how it goes. I would be ok with that. I also know our coaches know what they want and see something in each kid. I trust them completely but none of us would be mad if we got a bunch of top 20 to 30 kids in each position. It’s truly not difficult to figure who is a five star and who isn’t. Four star kids tend to be bit harder to classify as do 3 stars. Anyone can go to a camp or game and see. Dt at 6’2” 310 that moves as quick as a cat and is strong as a bull. They eat up everything in their path. Not to hard. Harder to find that kid who isn’t as big but is tall and has quickness but not elite quickness and can use his hands and has knack for ball. He could be a 2* or 3* and either way if our coaches liked him I would be completely ok with it. Do I want all five * or 4* kids yeah mostly but I wouldn’t mind the 3* kid such as our lb we got from Canada. He could easily be a mid to high four star kid if he was in the states. We are doing good and slowly getting better with our recruiting and the more we win the better it gets.

I wouldn't know what to do with a few 5* kids. Clemson just got their third 5* in a little over a week. #2 DE Myles Murphy . That's what you get when winning 2 NC in 3 years.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know what to do with a few 5* kids. Clemson just got their third 5* in a little over a week. #2 DE Myles Murphy . That's what you get when winning 2 NC in 3 years.
stop...stars don't matter...lol just kidding.

Stars do matter, just not in the way people think they do. They are not an absolute objective determination but a correlation of talent. Alot of people use them incorrectly.
They don't matter as a direct coach assessment but more as a reflection of their offers and athletic talent. Its like using a GPA to determine how much money someone will make when they're 30? GPA's matter just not to determine what money people will make years later, but high GPAs usually mean they will make more money than dumb people.

That’s basically right... but there’s a lot of holes in this thinking, IMO.

What happens to kids who get an early offer that they love, commit and don’t get other offers/interest?

An offer can be high interest without being commit-able. How are these handled?

Talent and physical ability can be objectively measured. Many of the traits that can make or break a player are not.

I do agree that the * should be used as a % chance that they can be successful and that stars are helpful in determining success.

Stars matter to those who subscribe to pay sites. To coaches? Not so much.
Unless you are the head coach at Ala, Clem, OK GA ND Mich and any of the other top tier programs. They want and get top star players

Unless you are the head coach at Ala, Clem, OK GA ND Mich and any of the other top tier programs. They want and get top star players
Clemson just took a 3 star player.

Reactions: gbo
yeah but i'm sure he will be re-evaluated to a 4* really soon.
That’s all fine and dandy but as of the recruitment and commitment he was a 3 star. Clemson clearly didn’t care that he wasn’t a 4-5 star at the time cause they liked what he saw. Our coaches see a 3 star guy and say “this guy can play” stars be darned.

They honestly don't give a crap about the ratings that pay sites bestow upon players.
I'd be interested to hear if any coaches have financial incentives in their contract tied to the recruiting rankings in a particular season?????. Calapari in BB would make some nice extra cashhhhhh.

Its all about the bass about the bass about the offers...

I'd be interested to hear if any coaches have financial incentives in their contract tied to the recruiting rankings in a particular season?????. Calapari in BB would make some nice extra cashhhhhh.
I wouldn't think so. Incentives would consist of winning their divisions, conferences, bowl games, national championship, etc.

Also, those 5 stars? You can bet your last dollar that the Sabans and Sweeneys knew about them years before many of the pay sites did.

Mike Locksley had an incentive tied to "Top 25 classes" through the sites if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't think so. Incentives would consist of winning their divisions, conferences, bowl games, national championship, etc.

Also, those 5 stars? You can bet your last dollar that the Sabans and Sweeneys knew about them years before many of the pay sites did.
I guess those rankings that SO MANY discard as meaningless internet junk means something to a few coaches...hmmmmm

I guess those rankings that SO MANY discard as meaningless internet junk means something to a few coaches...hmmmmm
Babers said it doesn't matter to them. Well, Sort of. What he did say, was "We've been bringing in higher quality recruits, regardless of what the so called "experts" say." He also added, "We have a higher "star" count walking through that door, than we've ever had before." (Spring practice day 1 presser) Our recruiting rankings have remained fairly constant, so at least to the staff, there is notable improvement - with proof on the field.

Many stars are deserved. There are also under ranked players, due to the process. Those of us perceived to be arguing "stars don't matter", simply believe there are some recruits that are far better than their "ranking" - done by just a few people. Fortunately, the staff has done well with that.

To the OP. We are recruiting higher quality targets. Are we at the point of getting the Service ranked kids? Not yet. But we're getting close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors