Recruiting higher rated kids. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting higher rated kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many coaches have a bonus for "recruiting class rankings".
Definitely not "many". A few, whose athletic departments care more about perception than results on the field.

I guess those rankings that SO MANY discard as meaningless internet junk means something to a few coaches...hmmmmm
They are absolutely meaningless internet junk. At least you finally could admit that. Just another way for companies to make money off kids who can't benefit off their own likeness. If you don't think the rankings are all about the other sites making money from the big schools I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Definitely not "many". A few, whose athletic departments care more about perception than results on the field.

They are absolutely meaningless internet junk. At least you finally could admit that. Just another way for companies to make money off kids who can't benefit off their own likeness. If you don't think the rankings are all about the other sites making money from the big schools I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Not to pile on but another story to show how bogus some of these sites are. Scooby Carter was a DB out of Texas last year who ESPN had as #37 overall in the country, 2for7 had #30 overall in the country and Rivls didn't have him in their top 250 in the country because he turned down an invitation to one of their "showcase" camps.

This year, Blake Carringer was the #66 OT in the country. Mid 3 star. Didn't have any film, because he didn't exist. That's how thorough and accurate the sites can be.

If these gurus are SOOOOOO poor at evaluating talent, then I suggest you get out of real estate (I'll buy that bridge if you have clear title...LOL) and START YOUR OWN SERVICE. Seems there would be a market for someone with your keen eyes and skill. Maybe even Dino would hire you.

None of these services are perfect. However, there isn't a fan out there that could cover as much ground as these recruiting networks.

Not to pile on but another story to show how bogus some of these sites are. Scooby Carter was a DB out of Texas last year who ESPN had as #37 overall in the country, 2for7 had #30 overall in the country and Rivls didn't have him in their top 250 in the country because he turned down an invitation to one of their "showcase" camps.
I review engineering plans for a living. There hasn't been a document submitted to me in 30+years for review that I couldn't critique and find something that wasn't exactly right. Nothing is perfect. The services provide some value. If they are so bad, why do all the haters even read them?

I would bet a good sum that the "gurus " on this board have some connection to people involved in the "network" of recruiting people related to the services. NOBODY is going to freely disseminate recruiting evaluations on hidden gems without getting paid. I'm not referring to the guys that know 1 or 2 kids from their local leagues. I'm talking about nation wide; thousands of recruits.

I wouldn't think so. Incentives would consist of winning their divisions, conferences, bowl games, national championship, etc.

Also, those 5 stars? You can bet your last dollar that the Sabans and Sweeneys knew about them years before many of the pay sites did.
I guess all the "likes" on this comment were wrongooooooo about incentives for recruiting site rankings and bonuses....lol.

There are several different statistics out there that show, on average, these sites get it right in terms of star rankings vs NFL or Pro Bowl success. To say that stars don't matter is not a great argument.

Certainly our coaching staff has there own evaluations and they know what they are doing based on our results last year. With that said, it would be foolish for coaches to not use every available dataset they can get their hands on.

If anyone is into statistics or predicting future trends, this type of data is great for it. Think about the potential of being able to query for the last 10 years, how many NFL players were unranked by a recruiting service with certain measurables from a certain geographic region. I would have to imagine staffs out there are using the data like this to focus potential areas.

Stars matter a little. To a degree it separates talent. How many 5 star guys are whiffs? Not many. They are the elite of the elite. After that its very unpredictable. The offers are how you get the best gauge of a prospect as a fan, and even that is an imperfect evaluation.

If these gurus are SOOOOOO poor at evaluating talent, then I suggest you get out of real estate (I'll buy that bridge if you have clear title...LOL) and START YOUR OWN SERVICE. Seems there would be a market for someone with your keen eyes and skill. Maybe even Dino would hire you.

None of these services are perfect. However, there isn't a fan out there that could cover as much ground as these recruiting networks.
Some of the "gurus" on this board have had two hour conversations with the coaches in the hotel lobbies the night before a game.

Recruiting services get a bunch of kids right. They also get a bunch wrong. Fortunately, our staff has done a good job identifying those with high potential. A ten win season, and 11 preseason All Americans is evidence enough, for me.

So how did coaches recruit before the internet? Oh, the humanity! Thank god Brian Dohn and Mike Farrell came along to help coaches figure out which players were the best in the country!

You completely missed the point. The recruiting services serve no purpose other than to entertain the fans and make money for those sites. The ranking system only exists to entertain the fans, and reward the fans of teams with the biggest subscriber bases. The coaches rank kids on their own and evaluate talent on their own. I don't understand what about that is so hard to understand.

******** Here is how you know the star rankings and recruiting services ARE important and usually on point. 90% have a direct correlation to performance on field****
1. Recruiting classes set expectations- Thats why we hear about it. Even on this site many people that say "stars dont matter" turn around and say "we got a 4 star transfer", "with more success we will get more 4 or 5 star players", "more 4 stars are interested in Dino"etc etc. They should go back and look at their own posts. If the "stars dont matter why do even some of the "stars dont matter mafia" on this site use it as a qualifier???
2. Coaches get fired for bad "recruiting classes" (less than acceptable talent) even worse poor performance on the field by high ranked recruiting classes(top talent) they inherit. Lets look at a basic example. Mack Brown 2011-13 recruiting classes 2013- 17, 2012 2 ranked, 2011 4th ranked recruiting classes. Here are corresponding records 2011 8-5, 2012 9-4, 2013 8-5. Pretty good record right? But Mack Brown was fired (forced retirement)in large part because his on field record even though he had taken them to multiple championship games with similar or lower ranked (slightly) classes. Now while very Syracuse "stars dont matter mafia" members on this site would be ecstatic with this three year span... it cost Brown his job. Why you ask???? Because the perception of his team and expectations were to get back to the National championship SPECIFICALLY with National championship talent (recruiting classes)Why you ask??? Because he had 2 top 4 classes in that span. If the recruitings and perception of talent had no bearing why was this deamed under performance based on talent he brought in? But lets make this more fun.
3. Would you want Babers fired if he had the 2nd ranked recruiting class (ranked by STARS) and that class went 6-6 all 4 years starting in 2019- The "stars dont matter mafia" should really really really ponder this. Syracuse has had a 3 year stretch with records of 10-3, 4-8, 4-8, with recruiting classes of 53, 50 54 bottom 3 of ACC all three years. If we swap Syracuse's current incoming class with Georgia's class last year #2 in nation would you expect Syracuse to be better and conversely Georgia to be worse? Here is the class Syracuse would have coming in

Would you expect Syracuse to be 10-3 or better again this year and atleast win 8 games each of the next 4 years?? Be honest folks. Conversely if you had this class and finished 4-8 i can bet you every one of the "stars dont matter mafia" would call for Babers to be fired. If he went 6-6 for 4 years with this class after having a 10-3 season with a bottom of the ACC class his first 3 years I also bet you would want him fired. Why you ask???? Because Stars matter!!!!

Possibly off target, since it relates to BB recruiting. But if you can scale it up from BB to FB you can see what's up with higher rated recruits:

Kentucky’s coaches spent $25,520.93 on Hertz rental cars and $728.28 on Uber rides from Sept. 2016 to Jan. 2019. There was $3,053 in parking expenses at Blue Grass Airport in Lexington.

Marriott is one of the biggest winners of Kentucky’s recruiting efforts. UK spent more than $43,000 at hotels that had Marriott somewhere in their name during this 29-month span that we analyzed.

By multiplying the average total monthly expenses by 12, you get an average annual expense total of $605,580.68 that Kentucky spent on recruiting during the roughly 2.5-year stretch from Sept. 2016 to Jan. 2019.

That annual average falls in line with The Courier-Journal reporting that the University of Kentucky budgeted $670,000 for men’s basketball recruiting for the 2018-19 season.

The figure also indicates a continued increase in the school’s recruiting budget in the last decade as Kentucky reportedly saw a 60 percent increase from $289,229 in 2009 (the final year of Billy Gillispie’s tenure) to $461,529 in 2013, according to an old USA Today database for NCAA men’s basketball recruiting spending.

That’s over a 100 percent increase in the last decade from Kentucky’s reported spending on recruiting in 2009 to its reported recruiting budget for 2019.

For the sake of comparison, LSU — Kentucky’s conference foe that enrolled the No. 4 recruiting class in 2018 — spent $511,401 on men’s basketball recruiting during the 2018 fiscal year, a significant increase from the $193,023 the school reported spending during the previous fiscal year, according to the school’s NCAA Final Reports.

I mean kind of hard to say stars don’t matter? I would love to be tOSU, Michigan, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc bringing in all 4 and 5 star kids. Unfortunately that’s not who we are. With that said we do a great job in bringing in kids that fit our system and those 3 stars kids that maybe need a year or 2 to develop , otherwise they would be 4 star recruits. There were only a couple 4 star kids the last few years, but I am still super excited with the kids we were able to bring in. We are bringing in those 3 stars that have elite offers. The prior regime we were bringing in 3 star kids, but they would have maybe a Rutgers offer. Huge difference in the kids we are bringing in right now. I guess you can say the difference between low 3 star and high 3 star?

So how did coaches recruit before the internet? Oh, the humanity! Thank god Brian Dohn and Mike Farrell came along to help coaches figure out which players were the best in the country!

You completely missed the point. The recruiting services serve no purpose other than to entertain the fans and make money for those sites. The ranking system only exists to entertain the fans, and reward the fans of teams with the biggest subscriber bases. The coaches rank kids on their own and evaluate talent on their own. I don't understand what about that is so hard to understand.
I get what you are saying, but it's like what did we do before computers. Certainly we still did our jobs, but now we can do them better and faster.

Coaches do not need recruiting services, but man, there is a good amount of data being captured by them. Measurables, video, reported offers, schools, current picture. How would you ignore all of this information? I know someone that sells recruiting services to high schools. College coaches contact kids using this service by liking their video. Then the kid contacts the coach.

We know coaches rank their own kids, but more times than not, these services rank them correctly too. There is room for both, it's not a one or the other type of situation.

I get what you are saying, but it's like what did we do before computers. Certainly we still did our jobs, but now we can do them better and faster.

Coaches do not need recruiting services, but man, there is a good amount of data being captured by them. Measurables, video, reported offers, schools, current picture. How would you ignore all of this information? I know someone that sells recruiting services to high schools. College coaches contact kids using this service by liking their video. Then the kid contacts the coach.

We know coaches rank their own kids, but more times than not, these services rank them correctly too. There is room for both, it's not a one or the other type of situation.
I think part of the disconnect, is that when folks bust on the recruiting services, they are pointing own known discrepancies/bias/issues. While they DO get a bunch "close enough", they get a bunch wrong, too.

You've pointed out we're getting kids with better offers(higher quality recruits) We can SEE it on the field.

Coaches contact kids. Then they see them. They judge their character. They work them out, and can watch ALL of their film, if desired, instead of just the pre-packaged highlights. Lots of them lie about their measurables. Good for the service ranking, not so much for the coaches. Rivals(Nike, too) understands this, so they have camps(which can negatively affect a recruit that doesn't attend.) ESPN does, as well. They often take an inch off the players height. (We've had 4 or 5 kids "shrunken" by ESPN in a single cycle.) The actual kids have more info than the sites. Coaches go to the source. They can't afford not to.

There are numerous PAID scouting services, by the schools. They go deeper than the fan sites. More thorough eval's, and TRUSTED, by high level coaches. I've been next to P5 coaches talking about the scouting services they use, and frankly, I've never heard of any of them in my life.

The fan sites are good for fans. They get a bunch right. They're also REACTIONARY to what the coaches are doing. The coaches are setting the bar. Not the sites. Many that say "stars don't matter" believe that an incomplete data set shouldn't be trusted, that's all. Thank God HCDB understands that.

I mean kind of hard to say stars don’t matter? I would love to be tOSU, Michigan, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc bringing in all 4 and 5 star kids. Unfortunately that’s not who we are. With that said we do a great job in bringing in kids that fit our system and those 3 stars kids that maybe need a year or 2 to develop , otherwise they would be 4 star recruits. There were only a couple 4 star kids the last few years, but I am still super excited with the kids we were able to bring in. We are bringing in those 3 stars that have elite offers. The prior regime we were bringing in 3 star kids, but they would have maybe a Rutgers offer. Huge difference in the kids we are bringing in right now. I guess you can say the difference between low 3 star and high 3 star?
If you get a P5 offer, the sites tend to generically give a mid 3 star grade. See the fake recruit, I posted about. Some 4 star recruits are 3 stars, and some 3 stars are 4. I know 30+ HS players that went D1. One of the 4 stars was prolly a mid 3 star. The coaches knew it, still worth D1. Then look at Andre Cisco. Mid 3 star. He's a preseason All American. Not ACC conference all american. Straight up, best in the country, All American.. That kid was NEVER a 3 star. Andre Szmyt was never even ranked... (best kicker in the country) They get them WRONG.

Hear you, on the fan perspective side. ;-) Abdul Adams and Trishton Jackson are legit 4 stars... IMO. Everything I heard from practice demands it. Jawhar Jordan? Not having him come in in 2018 was... VERY painful. He's a higher 3 star-per the services. What separated him from a mid 4 star was 20lbs... (He's a mid 4 star, IMO) He was my highest 2018 recruit, period(over Trill, Qadir, Hendrix, etc...). Not because he was a skill player. I watched the top 50+ running backs. Jordan was breaking ankles like Allen Iverson. I just don't get to see that very often... Won't compare him to Sanders, but dayuuuhmmn...

Spoke with sutomcat privately on this. He has a good eye, and I'm fortunate to have some payside info - always private. (apologies tomcat, correct me if I'm wrong) I was going to try to post clips- as I mentioned to you , but the kid freaking outran my camera. (the site doesn't allow me to post) No other kid did. He picked up on defenders running acceptable P5 coverage, that took normal angles, that were... screwed. Again, sutomcat , If I'm wrong on your perceptions please correct...

I like high ranked players from the sites. I just really like good players that produce better.

Last edited:
I review engineering plans for a living. There hasn't been a document submitted to me in 30+years for review that I couldn't critique and find something that wasn't exactly right. Nothing is perfect. The services provide some value. If they are so bad, why do all the haters even read them?

I would bet a good sum that the "gurus " on this board have some connection to people involved in the "network" of recruiting people related to the services. NOBODY is going to freely disseminate recruiting evaluations on hidden gems without getting paid. I'm not referring to the guys that know 1 or 2 kids from their local leagues. I'm talking about nation wide; thousands of recruits.
You are deviating from the argument because you can't admit you are wrong. The argument was whether coaches utilize these recruiting sites to evaluate players. The answer is no. Since that has been shown to you, you are now saying they have "value." Sure they do, for entertainment purposes, for gathering intel through interviews, and for making someone money. Nobody has disputed these things. If you can just admit you're wrong about the coaches using them for evaluation purposes people will get off your back.

To answer your question, why does anyone read them? Simple answer, it's the same reason we read preseason magazines. People like seeing their team get recognition, regardless of whether it comes from a legitimate source. That's the problem with the services. They understand this and bump rankings of players being recruited by teams whos fans subscribe to them the most.

In summary:
Are they wholly inaccurate? No
Are they scewed? Absolutely
Do coaches rely on them to evaluate players? No (not any that will keep his job)
Do coaches possibly use them to gather intel on players they have already identified and evaluated? Sure
Do they provide some value in some way? Sure

Last edited:
This thread took a sharp turn from friendly discussion...

A quick look at statistical research done over the past 15 years clearly supports the value of Star rankings, even if the metric is FAR from perfect.

A study from 2013 broke the Power "6" conferences recruiting classes into accumulative star rankings from 5 star to 1-star programs. For example, FIVE star programs based on star rankings included: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Texas. SU, was listed as a ONE star program for this time period. Over the same four-year span, those 75 teams played head-to-head 1,488 times. Here are the results of those games, with winning records in black and losing records in red:
05-Recruiting_Rankings_Head-to-Head.png

05-Recruiting_Head-to-Head__Overall_.png

To describe those results as "compelling" would be selling them short. It's a landslide. On the final count, the higher-ranked team according to the recruiting rankings won roughly two-thirds of the time, and every "class" as a whole had a winning record against every class ranked below it every single year.

Recruiting Rankings Matter

Then there is this joker:

“It cracks me up when [people] say the ratings don’t matter,” Ohio State coach Urban Meyer told the Big Ten Network, according to 247Sports. “If they’re keeping score, we’d like to win that thing. I do look at that. The recruiting services, although they are not 100 percent correct, they’re very close. A lot of those guys that are highly-rated guys turn out to be great players.

A quick look at statistical research done over the past 15 years clearly supports the value of Star rankings, even if the metric is FAR from perfect.

A study from 2013 broke the Power "6" conferences recruiting classes into accumulative star rankings from 5 star to 1-star programs. For example, FIVE star programs based on star rankings included: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Texas. SU, was listed as a ONE star program for this time period. Over the same four-year span, those 75 teams played head-to-head 1,488 times. Here are the results of those games, with winning records in black and losing records in red:
05-Recruiting_Rankings_Head-to-Head.png

05-Recruiting_Head-to-Head__Overall_.png

To describe those results as "compelling" would be selling them short. It's a landslide. On the final count, the higher-ranked team according to the recruiting rankings won roughly two-thirds of the time, and every "class" as a whole had a winning record against every class ranked below it every single year.

Recruiting Rankings Matter

Then there is this joker:

“It cracks me up when [people] say the ratings don’t matter,” Ohio State coach Urban Meyer told the Big Ten Network, according to 247Sports. “If they’re keeping score, we’d like to win that thing. I do look at that. The recruiting services, although they are not 100 percent correct, they’re very close. A lot of those guys that are highly-rated guys turn out to be great players.
Your research is incomplete. Nobody has said rankings are completely meaningless. The recruiting insiders on here have pointed out, however, that it is common for a recruit's ranking to change quickly after receiving certain offers. So is it the recruiting services identifying the talent followed by the best schools snatching it up, or is it the best coaches identifying/offering talent followed by the recruiting sites taking notice and "reevaluating?"

A number of people have said the sites do a good job on the elite can't miss prospects. It's the others that you see movement on right after Clemson or Alabama offer them. Does the athlete suddenly have better film? This type of lagging change is not reflected in the graphic you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom