Recruiting higher rated kids. | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting higher rated kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your research is incomplete. Nobody has said rankings are completely meaningless. The recruiting insiders on here have pointed out, however, that it is common for a recruit's ranking to change quickly after receiving certain offers. So is it the recruiting services identifying the talent followed by the best schools snatching it up, or is it the best coaches identifying/offering talent followed by the recruiting sites taking notice and "reevaluating?"

A number of people have said the sites do a good job on the elite can't miss prospects. It's the others that you see movement on right after Clemson or Alabama offer them. Does the athlete suddenly have better film? This type of lagging change is not reflected in the graphic you posted.

The article I linked talked about the methodology used in this particular study. It addresses some of the concerns you mentioned.

This was not intended to present an end all dissertation on a complex subject, but I am sorry you found it to be "incomplete."

I think some people, not necessarily you, struggle to understand the difference between correlation and causation.

A quick look at statistical research done over the past 15 years clearly supports the value of Star rankings, even if the metric is FAR from perfect.

A study from 2013 broke the Power "6" conferences recruiting classes into accumulative star rankings from 5 star to 1-star programs. For example, FIVE star programs based on star rankings included: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Texas. SU, was listed as a ONE star program for this time period. Over the same four-year span, those 75 teams played head-to-head 1,488 times. Here are the results of those games, with winning records in black and losing records in red:
05-Recruiting_Rankings_Head-to-Head.png

05-Recruiting_Head-to-Head__Overall_.png

To describe those results as "compelling" would be selling them short. It's a landslide. On the final count, the higher-ranked team according to the recruiting rankings won roughly two-thirds of the time, and every "class" as a whole had a winning record against every class ranked below it every single year.

Recruiting Rankings Matter

Then there is this joker:

“It cracks me up when [people] say the ratings don’t matter,” Ohio State coach Urban Meyer told the Big Ten Network, according to 247Sports. “If they’re keeping score, we’d like to win that thing. I do look at that. The recruiting services, although they are not 100 percent correct, they’re very close. A lot of those guys that are highly-rated guys turn out to be great players.
Thank you for the analysis. Its curious that the "stars dont matter mafia" on this site continue to make that argument. I just saw a clip where Dino Babers was talking about the visits he had to Syracuse a few months back and says "we had alot of talent maybe more talent than in a long time at Syracuse multiple 4 star guys up here". A couple of the recruits were 4star Amin Vanover, and 4star Latarie Kinsler. So even Babers qualifies his recruits by star ranking.

Again i say to those who make the laughable argument that stars dont matter. Would you, Dino Babers, Brian Ward, rather have our recruiting class from last year which they hail as so talented which finished rated 10 of 14 in ACC or Clemsons class which finished #1 in ACC. The teams literally are judged, rated, evaluated by the STAR count.

Dont go on the continual non sense that "as long as we win i am happy", or "I trust our coaches evaluation of talent". The answer is YES you would rather have a team with a higher rated recruiting class because stars simply put represent the expected talent coming to the field

I mean for us being ranked 10th in the ACC and Clemson first we almost beat them last year and beat them the year before. Almost as if Star aren’t the end all be all.

I mean for us being ranked 10th in the ACC and Clemson first we almost beat them last year and beat them the year before. Almost as if Star aren’t the end all be all.

How about during the rest of our respective schedules?

We did go 10-3 and lost in Overtime away to a peer school. So I’d say we did better then the stars said we should have.
Agreed! I think the one thing everybody on here is in agreement on is the fact that stars arent the end all be all. They simply are the global standard for evaluating, comparing, judging and predicting the future success of a incoming recruting class. Its just really ridiculous for folks to say "stars dont matter".

A quick look at statistical research done over the past 15 years clearly supports the value of Star rankings, even if the metric is FAR from perfect.

A study from 2013 broke the Power "6" conferences recruiting classes into accumulative star rankings from 5 star to 1-star programs. For example, FIVE star programs based on star rankings included: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Texas. SU, was listed as a ONE star program for this time period. Over the same four-year span, those 75 teams played head-to-head 1,488 times. Here are the results of those games, with winning records in black and losing records in red:

To describe those results as "compelling" would be selling them short. It's a landslide. On the final count, the higher-ranked team according to the recruiting rankings won roughly two-thirds of the time, and every "class" as a whole had a winning record against every class ranked below it every single year.

“It cracks me up when [people] say the ratings don’t matter,” Ohio State coach Urban Meyer told the Big Ten Network, according to 247Sports. “If they’re keeping score, we’d like to win that thing. I do look at that. The recruiting services, although they are not 100 percent correct, they’re very close. A lot of those guys that are highly-rated guys turn out to be great players.
Thanks for posting. Yepp. This proves the sites get more right than wrong. I agree with that. If they get, say, 60% right,then group in tiers of a dozen or so, to spread probability, the list should look like this. Groups help eliminate coaching, but also eliminate whether a percentage of the recruits are actually higher or lower than their grade. Those that question the sites typically refer to the kids that are either over or under graded - a minority that can be capitalized on by a good evaluating staff.

Most agree that the top graded are fairly accurate. Interesting on the 1 star teams vs 5 star. They meet or bested the 2 stars 4 times, and the 3 stars twice. There is volatility in the 3 star recruits range, even when its spread across dozens. Individual teams can fare better(more under ranked recruits/coaching)

We've been in the 50-60 class rank since this study began. 1 star. Per this study, we lost to a 5 star and 4 star program. Presumably beat a bunch of 3 and 4. We evaluate well, and I believe we've recruited some under ranked players. The players that many that follow those sites have been pointing out for years.

***side note - different debate(adds a can of worms). The 11 5 stars listed never managed to get more than 5 teams in the top 10 final ranking. The Worst year, 2.

Last edited:

This seems to also support my belief that while generally star ratings can err widely on any individual player, they're directionally accurate when it comes to differentiating a program's recruiting class as a whole.

Clemson just took a 3 star player.
They did, Kobe Pryor and i love his game. He is rated as the 598 best player in the country.

To put that in perspective he is higher rated than every player we signed last year except Kpogba (433)and Mikel Jones(438) He is Clemson's lowest rated recruit (Cooper Dawson wouldve been the lowest for Clemson 930) Here is our entire class from last year 10best in ACC 53rd best in the nation

Reactions: gbo
They did, Kobe Pryor and i love his game. He is rated as the 598 best player in the country.

To put that in perspective he is higher rated than every player we signed last year except Kpogba (433)and Mikel Jones(438) He is Clemson's lowest rated recruit (Cooper Dawson wouldve been the lowest for Clemson 930) Here is our entire class from last year 10best in ACC 53rd best in the nation

Its a farce to compare our class to clemson even with our good year. Pitt would be a better comparison. We had a better class then them in 2019. in fact if we go by stars matter then they had to grab a 2-star while we didnt, all the ranking in our part of the ACC are close.

Its a farce to compare our class to clemson even with our good year. Pitt would be a better comparison. We had a better class then them in 2019. in fact if we go by stars matter then they had to grab a 2-star while we didnt, all the ranking in our part of the ACC are close.
Its pathetic for us to try to be par or a little better than Pittsburgh. But I quess thats where we are? We have to step it up in recruting. I AM ok with the 2 or 3 high 3star (top 1000 recruits we get) Time to get a few top 400 kids. All the other top 25 teams do. Plenty of room to grow.

Its pathetic for us to try to be par or a little better than Pittsburgh. But I quess thats where we are? We have to step it up in recruting. I AM ok with the 2 or 3 high 3star (top 1000 recruits we get) Time to get a few top 400 kids. All the other top 25 teams do. Plenty of room to grow.
Because the truth is that is our peer school right now. Not Clemson or PSU. What was our record the last 4-5 years before this year. One season does not make us better then Pitt/BC and others who string bowl games back to back and are stable 6-7 floor teams most years. If we get another 10 win season or at the least 7 win team it will be a coup for our recruiting. These next 2-3 years are crucial to prove that we can provide bowl games every year. The big Players don’t want to play on a 4-8 to 6-6 team for 3 years with one year going 9-3. They want 7-5/9-3 for 3-4 years.

Now that we have dispelled the "stars dont matter" nonsense. Lets look at our Dino Dino Babers recruiting. This year Dino's recruits will be front and center on the fiel. Scott Schaeffer's recruits will be seniors or redshirt juniors. The great kicker,Trill, Cisco and Juco Alton Robinson have been great. But now Dino's recruits will be 1/3 of our starters and majority of our depth. We will get our first real chance to see how good the recruting has been last two years (alot of 2016 recruits were originally HCSS recruits that HCDB held onto).

While Devito and the receivers will be good I am really concerned with the low 3 star O-line and interior d-line lack of death. Again we will get a look at HCDB recruits WITHOUT Dungey being there to bail them out.

Now that we have dispelled the "stars dont matter" nonsense. Lets look at our Dino Dino Babers recruiting. This year Dino's recruits will be front and center on the fiel. Scott Schaeffer's recruits will be seniors or redshirt juniors. The great kicker,Trill, Cisco and Juco Alton Robinson have been great. But now Dino's recruits will be 1/3 of our starters and majority of our depth. We will get our first real chance to see how good the recruting has been last two years (alot of 2016 recruits were originally HCSS recruits that HCDB held onto).

While Devito and the receivers will be good I am really concerned with the low 3 star O-line and interior d-line lack of death. Again we will get a look at HCDB recruits WITHOUT Dungey being there to bail them out.
I don't think you're tracking the roster very carefully. There are hardly any Shafer recruits left.

Basically down to Moe Neal, Heckel, Fredrick and the Hof in terms of guys that actually play.

Wq
I don't think you're tracking the roster very carefully. There are hardly any Shafer recruits left.

Basically down to Moe Neal, Heckel, Fredrick and the Hof in terms of guys that actually play

Really???? Sean Riley, Kendall Coleman, Evan Foster Evan Adams,Clausman, Hofrichter, Kenneth Ruff, Mckinley, Scoop Frederick etc etc etc. Or are you not counting the 2016 guys HCSS recruited that stayed when he got fired???? I guess i am confused because you listed Moe Hof and Fredrick only???? Please advise what your thinking.

Basically down to Moe Neal, Heckel, Fredrick and the Hof in terms of guys that actually play.

Really???? Sean Riley, Kendall Coleman, Evan Foster Evan Adams,Clausman, Hofrichter, Kenneth Ruff, Mckinley, Scoop Frederick etc etc etc. Or are you not counting the 2016 guys HCSS recruited that stayed when he got fired???? I guess i am confused because you listed Moe Hof and Fredrick only???? Please advise what your thinking.

Yeah, those dudes all committed to Babers. Clausman's career is over.

I think Scoop was one that wanted to come under Shafer, but his commitment wasn't accepted until Babers.

So, that's how I advise on my thinking. My advice to you would be to actually know who's on our roster. Shafer has very little influence on the 2019 roster.

Sean Riley - recruited by Babers after Shafer firing, flipped from Arizona

Kendall Coleman - recruited by Babers after Shafer firing, flipped from Western Michigan

Evan Foster - recruited by Babers after Shafer firing, flipped from Bowling Green

Kenneth Ruff - recruited by Babers after Shafer firing, flipped from Virginia

McKinley Williams - recruited by Babers after Shafer firing, committed to SU over Pitt

Evan Adams, Chris Frederick, Jake Pickard, Sterling Hofrichter, Andreas Deurig - remaining 2015 Shafer recruits

Moe Neal, Scoop Bradshaw, Rex Culpepper, Sam Heckel - remaining 2016 Shafer recruits

Yeah, those dudes all committed to Babers. Clausman's career is over.

I think Scoop was one that wanted to come under Shafer, but his commitment wasn't accepted until Babers.

So, that's how I advise on my thinking. My advice to you would be to actually know who's on our roster. Shafer has very little influence on the 2019 roster.
So my point is enhanced. NOW HCDB recruits are front and center and we will rely on them. I like the offensive scheme but lets see if the talent can hold up

Kendall Coleman - recruited by Babers after Shafer firing, flipped from Western Michigan

Evan Foster - recruited by Babers after Shafer firing, flipped from Bowling Green

McKinley Williams - recruited by Babers after Shafer firing, committed to SU over Pitt

Evan Adams, Chris Frederick, Jake Pickard, Sterling Hofrichter, Andreas Deurig - remaining 2015 Shafer recruits

Moe Neal, Scoop Bradshaw, Rex Culpepper, Sam Heckel - remaining 2016 Shafer recruits
Thanks. I wasn't going to take the time to do that.

Nice post although i could dispute the Dillard boys (Ruff and McKinley) as i know Syracuse was there heavy in 2015, i wont because this backs up my point. In 2019 HCDB recruits will be front and center. Dungy, Custis and alot of HCSS recruits are gone.

So my point is enhanced. NOW HCDB recruits are front and center and we will rely on them. I like the offensive scheme but lets see if the talent can hold up
If we hit 10-3 with more HCSS recruits then before then we should be better off this year. Our talent under babers has grown and it is thanks to a world class S&C support staff.

If we hit 10-3 with more HCSS recruits then before then we should be better off this year. Our talent under babers has grown and it is thanks to a world class S&C support staff.
Boy i hope so. But wont it be great for the tables to turn at Syracuse. Usually football can use high profile basketball games to bring recruits in. This year that Clemson syracuse game could be massive for recruit visits

Thank you for the analysis. Its curious that the "stars dont matter mafia" on this site continue to make that argument. I just saw a clip where Dino Babers was talking about the visits he had to Syracuse a few months back and says "we had alot of talent maybe more talent than in a long time at Syracuse multiple 4 star guys up here". A couple of the recruits were 4star Amin Vanover, and 4star Latarie Kinsler. So even Babers qualifies his recruits by star ranking.

Again i say to those who make the laughable argument that stars dont matter. Would you, Dino Babers, Brian Ward, rather have our recruiting class from last year which they hail as so talented which finished rated 10 of 14 in ACC or Clemsons class which finished #1 in ACC. The teams literally are judged, rated, evaluated by the STAR count.

Dont go on the continual non sense that "as long as we win i am happy", or "I trust our coaches evaluation of talent". The answer is YES you would rather have a team with a higher rated recruiting class because stars simply put represent the expected talent coming to the field

Can't think of a single pay site that ACTUALLY recruits players for P5/G5 programs. They REPORT to subscribers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom