Recruiting is a huge problem right now... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting is a huge problem right now...

How bout we stop pushing non NBA ready players on our team to leave for once. Quincy is not going anywhere he will be back.
It does not matter what anyone on this board says the players now are only thinking about the league. JB has told the players that they should say but he is ignored and they leave.
I do see more transfers. The players now do not usually wait to develop. Either they play or leave.

Do people really think recruiting isn't the biggest issue? Look at all the misses in the past years and you get what we have now, a mediocre team. We have what, 4 centers that don't play. 3 guard transfers last year. It's crazy!

Add in player development including strength and conditioning as a huge problem too.

Nothing to do with recruiting today. Beat at all 5 positions in the halfcourt today. Contesting 4 out of 5 shots isn't that hard. We contested maybe 2 out of 5 today (awful). With a true pg like Kadary, an Extended half-court press with Brass, Dolezaj Woody heck even JBA up top was the way to go. Pound the offensive boards. After you go on a 10-12 point run then you can stick to the same extended defense with Buddy griff or Girard at some 2G. The problem with the 3/4 court press when your getting scorcched this badly against a great team, is at some time you need to go back to an abysmal halfcourt D. Only guys who should of played more than 32-35 today were guerrier and Dolezaj, possibly Kadary.

Last edited:
Do people really think recruiting isn't the biggest issue? Look at all the misses in the past years and you get what we have now, a mediocre team. We have what, 4 centers that don't play. 3 guard transfers last year. It's crazy!

Add in player development including strength and conditioning as a huge problem too.
Well according to this board, all 3 centers are NBA talented if not for injuries, lack of playing time to go around, or what they had for breakfast holding them back.

It does not matter what anyone on this board says the players now are only thinking about the league. JB has told the players that they should say but he is ignored and they leave.
I do see more transfers. The players now do not usually wait to develop. Either they play or leave.
Didn’t this coach bring in his team? We get killed on glass year after year, yet no one is ready to play. The one constant is the coach with a lifetime contract . He has to go!!

I disagree actually. I posted in another thread but Benny Williams would be Virginia's highest rated player in years. Our recruiting is down but the problem is our style of play and player development IMO.
I would agree - everything is an issue right now.

However, if you look at it from a historical perspective, our top 2-3 players have always been recruits in the range of 1 (Carmelo) to 50.

Starting in 1992-93 (Some 90's years are tough but should be pretty accurate):

'92-93 - McRae, Wallace & Autry (McD All-Americans), Moten
'93-94 - Wallace, Autry (McD A-A), Gelatt (4th Team Parade All-American)
'94-95 - Wallace, Autry, Michael Lloyd (Top JUCO Player in Country)
'95-96 - Wallace
'96-97 - Lloyd (Top 30), Hart (Top 50)
'97-98 - Blackwell (Top 20), Hart, Griffin (Top 50)
'98-99 - Blackwell, Hart, Griffin, Bland (Top 40)
'99-00 - Blackwell, Hart, Griffin, Bland, D. Williams (Top 50)
'00-01 - Griffin, Williams
'01-02 - Williams (NIT)
'02-03 - Carmelo (Top 2), McNamara (Top 40), Edelin (Top 40)
'03-04 - McNamara, Edelin, Nichols (#31), Watkins (#34), Roberts (#42)
'04-05 - McNamara, Edelin (kinda), Nichols, Watkins, Roberts, J. Wright (#36)
'05-06 - McNamara, Nichols, Watkins, Roberts, J. Wright, Devendorf (McD A-A, Top 20)
'06-07 - Nichols, Watkins, Roberts, J. Wright, Devendorf, Harris (Top 25), Mike Jones (#44)
'07-08 - Wright (sorta), Devendorf, Harris, Flynn (McD A-A), D. Greene (McD A-A), Jardine (#50)
'08-09 - Devendorf, Harris, Flynn, Jardine, Mookie Jones (#46)
'09-10 - Jardine (4 Top 60 Players plus Transfer from Big 12)
'10-11 - Jardine, Melo (McD A-A), Waiters (Top 25)
'11-12 - Melo, Waiters, Christmas (McD A-A), MCW (#25)
'12-13 - Christmas, MCW, Coleman (McD A-A), Grant (#41)
'13-14 - Christmas, Coleman, Grant, Ennis (#23), Roberson (#37), Gbinije (#28)
'14-15 - Christmas, Coleman, Gbinije, Roberson, McCullough (McD A-A)
'15-16 - Coleman, Gbinije, Roberson, Richardson (McD A-A)
'16-17 - Coleman, Roberson, Battle (#31), White (#52)
'17-18 - Battle
'18-19 - Battle, Carey (#52)
'19-20 - Carey
'20-21 - None

I would say that it’s not really recruiting as much as it is selection .. we CHOOSE players who have the same fatal flaws year after year as If something will change ..

Last edited:
Give me a burly lunch pail rebounder (not currently on the roster), and a go to scorer (Quincy or Benny next year), give the point to K and fill in the blanks with our better than average role players - then we may have something.

I would say that it’s not really recruiting as much as if is selection .. we CHOOSE players who have the same fatal flaws year after year as If something will change ..
That is recruiting, talent evaluation.

Frank’s a center and can play. But there’s other stuff going on.

FA obviously hasn't played much this season, but from the VERY limited sample size I was intrigued. With our lack of centers, I'd like to see him get some PT, along with JE.

I would agree - everything is an issue right now.

However, if you look at it from a historical perspective, our top 2-3 players have always been recruits in the range of 1 (Carmelo) to 50.

Starting in 1992-93 (Some 90's years are tough but should be pretty accurate):

'92-93 - McRae, Wallace & Autry (McD All-Americans), Moten
'93-94 - Wallace, Autry (McD A-A), Gelatt (4th Team Parade All-American)
'94-95 - Wallace, Autry, Michael Lloyd (Top JUCO Player in Country)
'95-96 - Wallace
'96-97 - Lloyd (Top 30), Hart (Top 50)
'97-98 - Blackwell (Top 20), Hart, Griffin (Top 50)
'98-99 - Blackwell, Hart, Griffin, Bland (Top 40)
'99-00 - Blackwell, Hart, Griffin, Bland, D. Williams (Top 50)
'00-01 - Griffin, Williams
'01-02 - Williams (NIT)
'02-03 - Carmelo (Top 2), McNamara (Top 40), Edelin (Top 40)
'03-04 - McNamara, Edelin, Nichols (#31), Watkins (#34), Roberts (#42)
'04-05 - McNamara, Edelin (kinda), Nichols, Watkins, Roberts, J. Wright (#36)
'05-06 - McNamara, Nichols, Watkins, Roberts, J. Wright, Devendorf (McD A-A, Top 20)
'06-07 - Nichols, Watkins, Roberts, J. Wright, Devendorf, Harris (Top 25), Mike Jones (#44)
'07-08 - Wright (sorta), Devendorf, Harris, Flynn (McD A-A), D. Greene (McD A-A), Jardine (#50)
'08-09 - Devendorf, Harris, Flynn, Jardine, Mookie Jones (#46)
'09-10 - Jardine (4 Top 60 Players plus Transfer from Big 12)
'10-11 - Jardine, Melo (McD A-A), Waiters (Top 25)
'11-12 - Melo, Waiters, Christmas (McD A-A), MCW (#25)
'12-13 - Christmas, MCW, Coleman (McD A-A), Grant (#41)
'13-14 - Christmas, Coleman, Grant, Ennis (#23), Roberson (#37), Gbinije (#28)
'14-15 - Christmas, Coleman, Gbinije, Roberson, McCullough (McD A-A)
'15-16 - Coleman, Gbinije, Roberson, Richardson (McD A-A)
'16-17 - Coleman, Roberson, Battle (#31), White (#52)
'17-18 - Battle
'18-19 - Battle, Carey (#52)
'19-20 - Carey
'20-21 - None

Ehh it’s a lame excuse. There’s so many schools who are good without top 50 players anymore and there’s lots of teams that have them that are struggling. This has to do with teaching basketball and our overall offensive and defensive strategy. We couldn’t compete with Virginia when we had higher ranked guys.

Last edited:
Since Buddy committed, Jim has only recruited JG and Brycen as guys that could potentially take minutes from Buddy. JG got annoited as a PG because Carey flamed out and BG is off to PC. Any other player performing at this level would get recruited over or at least have his minutes slashed by guys currently on the roster, A Griffen would normally take minutes at the 2 spot. But his favoritism will contain to limit the potential of this team. Looks like he wants to go with only 3 guards again next year because he thinks Buddy is superstar level. You think other coaches, Nate Oates, Chris Beard wouldnt try to bring in more talent to compete on their roster? But JB has become complacent, its too bad.

Very interesting and valid points because guys like Michael Edwards, James Thues, and Josh Wright were all examples of guards who started but were recruited over (Autry, Gerry/Billy, and Flynn).

Ehh it’s a lame excuse. There’s so many schools who are good without top 50 players anymore and there’s lots of teams that have them that are struggling. This has to do with teaching basketball and our overall offensive and defensive strategy. We couldn’t compete with Virginia when we had higher ranked guys.
Boeheim has never been great at teaching basketball. He was asked one time how to break a press at a coaches clinic and he said with a straight face “Give the ball to Pearl.”

His strength has been recruiting players and giving them freedom to play. He is a decent coach but has not been anything special, IMO.

Boeheim has never been great at teaching basketball. He was asked one time how to break a press at a coaches clinic and he said with a straight face “Give the ball to Pearl.”

His strength has been recruiting players and giving them freedom to play. He is a decent coach but has not been anything special, IMO.
True statement.

Well according to this board, all 3 centers are NBA talented if not for injuries, lack of playing time to go around, or what they had for breakfast holding them back.
I have not seen a single post that suggests any of our centers are NBA talented. What I have seen is that we need to develop at least one so that he is ready when he might be needed, like last night when MD was getting out-muscled a lot. We need a center, not a skinny forward playing the 5.

Very interesting and valid points because guys like Michael Edwards, James Thues, and Josh Wright were all examples of guards who started but were recruited over (Autry, Gerry/Billy, and Flynn).
Thank you, and you cited perfect examples from the past.

I looked at the box score,

and to further make my point, Bennet played 7 players listed as guards, albeit 2 of them only had 1 and 2 mins, so he played about 5 guards.

Cuse only has 3 on scholarship. What if Kadary or Joe twist an ankle this year or next? one of them has to go 40

We got 4 Centers, yet play an undersized 4 for 40 mins while UVA goes over the top multiple times for lob dunks. Edwards would probably deflect some of those lobs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom