Recruiting Picture for 2013 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Picture for 2013

One of the parameters that concerned me is post the spring game, at least three recruiting sites have 16 or less rated recruits (3 star or better) that are even considering Syracuse as a place to play. (Rivals, Scout and ESPN Sources) I,m not talking offers, you can have 10 tons out there, but there is value when a recruit says he is considering a program. Now, I admit I don't have but 1 years worth of data on post spring game analysis, but last year at this time, we had 32 recruits with ESPN considering the CUSE post the spring game. I have no idea what so ever what this may mean, but it sure doesn't sound good. Across the country, early recruits that have already committed are up from just over 300 last year, to close to 389 this year, (I admit I don't remember the exact number last year, but I did look at it.) according to ESPN we as of 4/29/12. Maybe somebody else out their has better numbers or sources they could share. The other important aspect I picked up on was that out of those early recruits who considered the CUSE, we bagged 10 of them. Sine we only had 13 touted signees last year, that was an ealry indicator I will be tracking moving forward. I hate to bring up PSU, who had arguably the ruffest year any football program has had in my lifetime, has a new coach with virtually no experience in recruiting, and little in head coaching at the college level, is really hitting the trail to rebuild that program, and so far it is paying dividends in recruiting. They also aren't focusing on PA, but 6 other states as well (Hint on DM committment to NY). Just reiterating, the best coach in world can't be successful without a solid recruiting program. Sure, they will win some games, but not be consistent. At this time, and based of DM's previous years, it sures looks early on like we are not making the strides in our recruiting program that will be a vital piece in turing this program into a consistent winner.

Now, as a positive, congrats to the CUSE for getting 8 guys into the NFL this year. Hope they all make their prospective teams. I will watching Mr. Bailey as I work right next to the Redskin Training facility.

I think "chill is a bit too strong. I can understand a bit of anxiety on the subject . We have a ton literally of quality offers out there. Just one kid saying yes would be ver encouraging and satisfying.
Waiting until the end of the year is unreasonable for those of us who understand the significance it makes to the program's success and ultimately our enjoyment of such. This goes for all SU sports. Of course.:rolleyes:

I was a bit harsh early on, but feel as you do, it is not unreasonable to question where we are at this stage with DM, especially in recruiting. Offers are great, but beat the street, take a bus ride on the Orange Express, look to some of our football alumns to get more involved. Mend ties with Jim Brown, he and Floyd should be standing together. How about this, Kamara is getting bombed with letters from Alabama, how about a hand delivered one for Jim Brown, Floyd Little and Doug Marrone.

I was a bit harsh early on, but feel as you do, it is not unreasonable to question where we are at this stage with DM, especially in recruiting. Offers are great, but beat the street, take a bus ride on the Orange Express, look to some of our football alumns to get more involved. Mend ties with Jim Brown, he and Floyd should be standing together. How about this, Kamara is getting bombed with letters from Alabama, how about a hand delivered one for Jim Brown, Floyd Little and Doug Marrone.
Any kid that does not commit on the spot for that one may need his head checked. I like this idea.

Good in theory, but pretty sure that's a violation.

Good in theory, but pretty sure that's a violation.
You are right if Jim Brown is not a faculity member of Syracuse, but I am saying make him one and mend ties with the man. I think I am correct that coaches and other official representatives from Syracuse can make visits. I just heard that Saban went to a kids house recently with his defensive line coach and the recruitor, so I believe that is ok.

As for Jim Brown, is their any other bigger name out of Syracuse than this guy, no disrespect to Floyd or Ernie, but Jim Brown set the pinnacle for all RB's, and I couldn't think of any kid out there that plays this game that doesn't know who this man is. This is how you restore 44, by putting the guy that made this number special on your team that started the tradition! Even the great Ernie Davis was humbled to wear that number, because it was Jim's Number! Jim, Syracuse needs you more than ever!

You are right if Jim Brown is not a faculity member of Syracuse, but I am saying make him one and mend ties with the man. I think I am correct that coaches and other official representatives from Syracuse can make visits. I just heard that Saban went to a kids house recently with his defensive line coach and the recruitor, so I believe that is ok.

As for Jim Brown, is their any other bigger name out of Syracuse than this guy, no disrespect to Floyd or Ernie, but Jim Brown set the pinnacle for all RB's, and I couldn't think of any kid out there that plays this game that doesn't know who this man is. This is how you restore 44, by putting the guy that made this number special on your team that started the tradition! Even the great Ernie Davis was humbled to wear that number, because it was Jim's Number! Jim, Syracuse needs you more than ever!
No freshman coming out of high school deserves to wear 44. It's a retired number. If they want to use it for a junior/senior RB fine but not some freshman that might not even pan out. This isn't 1963. Kids don't care that much about a number anymore. They want to wear the number they've worn all through HS.

Faculty members are not allowed to recruit. Only members of the coaching staff. And the NCAA restricts a team to only one head coach, nine assistant coaches and two graduate assistant coaches.

One of the parameters that concerned me...
Two things.

Based on what those in the know here have been saying, we are not going to make the kinds of recruiting improvements you seek until the facilities projects are finished. When I hear that we are probably in the bottom 10% of all D-1 schools - not just BCS schools - that is scary. Seriously. For now it's an unfortunate "excuse." But I believe that it has had severe effects that can't be understated, regardless of who the coach is.

Also, it is my impression that we are going to be bringing in a smaller class this year, and are being more selective, going after higher profile kids in the early stages. I wonder if we simply have fewer offers out at this point (compared to last year), and generally to kids who are not as likely to list us as a school of interest in the first place.

I'm not concerned. It is what it is, and I don't expect to see significant improvements in recruiting for at least 2 more years. Improvements, yes, but not significant.

Two things.

Based on what those in the know here have been saying, we are not going to make the kinds of recruiting improvements you seek until the facilities projects are finished. When I hear that we are probably in the bottom 10% of all D-1 schools - not just BCS schools - that is scary. Seriously. For now it's an unfortunate "excuse." But I believe that it has had severe effects that can't be understated, regardless of who the coach is.

Also, it is my impression that we are going to be bringing in a smaller class this year, and are being more selective, going after higher profile kids in the early stages. I wonder if we simply have fewer offers out at this point (compared to last year), and generally to kids who are not as likely to list us as a school of interest in the first place.

I'm not concerned. It is what it is, and I don't expect to see significant improvements in recruiting for at least 2 more years. Improvements, yes, but not significant.

What exactly has SU been spending their athletic budget $ on all these years if not to improve the facilities? Being in the bottom 10% is unacceptable if we want to be a big boy program. Why was it neglected so long?

What exactly has SU been spending their athletic budget $ on all these years if not to improve the facilities? Being in the bottom 10% is unacceptable if we want to be a big boy program. Why was it neglected so long?
It used to be all about the donors until recently when the Conference TV packages took off. My guess is that all the losing led to very few donors, and no facilities upgrades. Also, colleges are constantly upgrading their facilities, so it hurt that much more when we waited longer than most.

no big commits until we beat the unexpected and make a big splash of consistency. open up 4-0 and heads will turn.make no mistake usc is huge for recruiting

Faculty members are not allowed to recruit. Only members of the coaching staff. And the NCAA restricts a team to only one head coach, nine assistant coaches and two graduate assistant coaches.
Thanks for the clairification.

No freshman coming out of high school deserves to wear 44. It's a retired number. If they want to use it for a junior/senior RB fine but not some freshman that might not even pan out. This isn't 1963. Kids don't care that much about a number anymore. They want to wear the number they've worn all through HS.
Just to clarify, their are arguments both ways about the number, I didn't mean issue it to anyone. That appears to be up to much higher powers than any of us if that were to happen. Traditionally, I believe the number was handed out to Freshmans in most cases though.

no big commits until we beat the unexpected and make a big splash of consistency. open up 4-0 and heads will turn.make no mistake usc is huge for recruiting
If we opened 4-0 we should be highly ranked, at least mid-teens. Not realistic, but sure is possible if we can somehow play like we did against WV last year, but pretty tall order.

Our schedule and exposure is a two edge sword this season. Use the sharp end and do well in most, if not all of these games, and it will help. Play terribly and lose most of these is like a dull side of the blade being used to carve roast beef, not a pretty site and no way does it boost the program. In addition, what national games will we get next year in the ACC? Heck, I live in Virginia, just outside DC, and I can't even get but 1 ACC game on Saturday. And I am not so sure the Big East will give up their Friday slots along with ESPN. Might be a tall order to watch Syracuse games the following season. Of course winning would change all that, but again, tuff year ahead. Hopefully we won't have so many injuries and our offense gets it together. Defense looks better than expected, but yet again, that was playing our offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom