Recruiting, Sanctions, JB, Hop, etc... | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting, Sanctions, JB, Hop, etc...

rackman18

All American
Its pretty bad they have 4 talented guards and we are after one who wouldn't even sniff the court. I tell you and have told you may times this staff at SU can't recruit. They plain outright suck at it. Its pathetic. We are going to be pushed back so far in time in recruiting that they will have to pump sunlight in. It is scary.

I tell you and have told you may times this staff at SU can't recruit. They plain outright suck at it. Its pathetic.

Isn't this the same class who recruited their way to a couple of #1 seeds and 2 final fours in the last 4 years?

We've had 2-3 down recruiting years. Sanctions likely play a key role in this.

Its pretty bad they have 4 talented guards and we are after one who wouldn't even sniff the court. I tell you and have told you may times this staff at SU can't recruit. They plain outright suck at it. Its pathetic. We are going to be pushed back so far in time in recruiting that they will have to pump sunlight in. It is scary.
So this staff, which basically consists of JB and Hop, for over 20 years together has a bad recruiting cycle or two amid sanctions and several early departures, who never should have left, cannot recruit? Hmm?

So this staff, which basically consists of JB and Hop, for over 20 years together has a bad recruiting cycle or two amid sanctions and several early departures, who never should have left, cannot recruit? Hmm?
Hmmmm, no they can't. And they are proving it. Who have they recruited and have signed for 2017 is a Tier 1 or a tier 2 maybe a tier 3. No pgs. no sgs, and no wings. And you say can they recruit. UCONN is kicking our butt and we are in the best conference going. Most other teams have a full recruiting class. We have so many scollies we can't give them away. I'm not hating no one, but come on, the writing is on the wall.

Sanctions have very very little to do with the recent struggles. I'm Jim B's biggest fan but it's been a real bad stretch. A stretch that a school of our clout should never go thru in recruiting. Next year will be another bubble year most likely as well.

Keep the faith though. It's what we as fans need to do...

Please stop. You are smarter than this. There are a number of factors working against SU right now. The sanctions and the pending retirement of Boehiem are making things a little harder but come on man. You realize this staff got Battle, Thompson and Moyer LAST year. That's three top 100 guys. Not getting a great class this year stinks, but you are over the top lately and need to give it a rest.

Please stop. You are smarter than this. There are a number of factors working against SU right now. The sanctions and the pending retirement of Boehiem are making things a little harder but come on man. You realize this staff got Battle, Thompson and Moyer LAST year. That's three top 100 guys. Not getting a great class this year stinks, but you are over the top lately and need to give it a rest.
I don't buy the sanction excuse at all. It will not affect any new recruit. But I think you may be on to something with the retirement of JB. Bingo yes you got it. You finally got it. He's retiring and leaving the reins to Hopkins. That is why we don't have recruits, he was the wrong choice for a replacement. They should have gotten a proven coach, one which was a proven good recruiter. Bottom line and I don't care what anyone says, Hopkins and STAFF can not recruit. I loved the guys when they played for us but that's all we have are ex players as coaches and they CAN'T recruit. JB brought in Moyer, Thompson and Battle. I say get a proven coach and staff and it will turn things around, if not, I will be along long time to get to where we were. Over the top lately? Give it a rest? My friend, you snooze you lose, and that's just what we are doing.

I don't buy the sanction excuse at all. It will not affect any new recruit. But I think you may be on to something with the retirement of JB. Bingo yes you got it. You finally got it. He's retiring and leaving the reins to Hopkins. That is why we don't have recruits, he was the wrong choice for a replacement. They should have gotten a proven coach, one which was a proven good recruiter. Bottom line and I don't care what anyone says, Hopkins and STAFF can not recruit. I loved the guys when they played for us but that's all we have are ex players as coaches and they CAN'T recruit. JB brought in Moyer, Thompson and Battle. I say get a proven coach and staff and it will turn things around, if not, I will be along long time to get to where we were. Over the top lately? Give it a rest? My friend, you snooze you lose, and that's just what we are doing.

I think you are way off base here, but I think Hopkins probably should have turned down team USA this past year and focused more on filling the cupboards.

Only being allowed two guys on the road means you have to be sure you get the ones you prioritize.

Last edited:

Hopkins has been considered one of the best recruiters in the country for years. What are you talking about?

I think you are way off base here, but I think Hopkins probably should have turned down team USA this past year and focused more on filling the cupboards.

Only being allowed two guys on the road means you have to sure you get the ones you prioritize.
I hear ya, I do, but we our not getting the prioritize ones. I'm sorry but Hopkins can not close a recruit.

Hmmmm, no they can't. And they are proving it. Who have they recruited and have signed for 2017 is a Tier 1 or a tier 2 maybe a tier 3. No pgs. no sgs, and no wings. And you say can they recruit. UCONN is kicking our butt and we are in the best conference going. Most other teams have a full recruiting class. We have so many scollies we can't give them away. I'm not hating no one, but come on, the writing is on the wall.
Your missing the point here. I'm not denying the recent struggles in recruiting. It's utterly embarrassing. But to say this staff, which has been the same at the top for the last twenty years, and has recruited on par for most of those years, all of a sudden can't recruit. It's no secret that recruiting has started to dip the exact moment JB announced his exit date! Who's gonna commit to a coach that's planning on leaving!

Hopkins has been considered one of the best recruiters in the country for years. What are you talking about?
Ya , by who and what has HE done in the last few years, and he can't coach. I'm telling you these recruits don't want to play for him. Look if they did we would have out scholarships filled by now.

Ya , by who and what has HE done in the last few years, and he can't coach. I'm telling you these recruits don't want to play for him. Look if they did we would have out scholarships filled by now.

By other coaches and people far more informed on recruiting than you or me. Google it. "Most feared coaches recruiting Hopkins". There you go...copy, paste, google.

I'm telling you, you have no idea if what you're saying is true or not. You're just mad and throwing what you think out there like it's a fact. "He can't coach"...lol. Guy hasn't even been the coach yet, and you already know he can't coach.

Your missing the point here. I'm not denying the recent struggles in recruiting. It's utterly embarrassing. But to say this staff, which has been the same at the top for the last twenty years, and has recruited on par for most of those years, all of a sudden can't recruit. It's no secret that recruiting has started to dip the exact moment JB announced his exit date! Who's gonna commit to a coach that's planning on leaving!
That's my point, it has been mainly JB for most part. He is the closer in the recruiting part. Anyone can hold someones attention until the big gun comes in and gets them to sign on the dotted line.

rackman18 said:

Did you just start following SU this year?

By other coaches and people far more informed on recruiting than you or me. Google it. "Most feared coaches recruiting Hopkins". There you go...copy, paste, google.

I'm telling you, you have no idea if what you're saying is true or not. You're just mad and throwing what you think out there like it's a fact. "He can't coach"...lol. Guy hasn't even been the coach yet, and you already know he can't coach.
Sorry , but he did coach while HCJB was suspended if you remember. Which obviously you don't. I believe we lost all or most of those games. C'mon , Most feared. If he was that good we would have a full boat for 2017, like Arizona and almost everyone else. So believe what you want and enjoy this ride, its going to be a we bumpy one.

That's my point, it has been mainly JB for most part. He is the closer in the recruiting part. Anyone can hold someones attention until the big gun comes in and gets them to sign on the dotted line.
Every head coach is a closer. I won't comment on Hop as a coach, because we haven't seen him run "his" team "his" way yet, but he's proven himself a quality recruiter. Go check the lead recruiter for a majority of our top 100 recruits. I get it, the uncertainty surrounding this program is making you a naysayer, but give it some time before you make your opinions fact.

Sorry , but he did coach while HCJB was suspended if you remember. Which obviously you don't. I believe we lost all or most of those games. C'mon , Most feared. If he was that good we would have a full boat for 2017, like Arizona and almost everyone else. So believe what you want and enjoy this ride, its going to be a we bumpy one.
you're a complete bozo

I don't buy the sanction excuse at all. It will not affect any new recruit.
This is false. Every single recruit we are looking at (and those we can't) have been affected by the sanctions. SU had the number of off-campus recruiters HALVED from four to two during the period of June 1, 2015 through May 31, 2017.

That means that we have been able to 'show love' (to quote someone else criticizing the recruiting) to HALF as many recruits (or half as many visits to a single recruit) as we normally would have.

You can say recruiting has not been nearly as good as it has been. I agree with you. But to say 'it will not affect any new recruit' is just not true. Who's to say one more appearance (Or two? Three?) at the game or tournament of a recruit we whiffed on wouldn't have made the difference?

Anyone who says the sanctions have not affected this program is not grounded in the reality of recruiting.

This is false. Every single recruit we are looking at (and those we can't) have been affected by the sanctions. SU had the number of off-campus recruiters HALVED from four to two during the period of June 1, 2015 through May 31, 2017.

That means that we have been able to 'show love' (to quote someone else criticizing the recruiting) to HALF as many recruits (or half as many visits to a single recruit) as we normally would have.

You can say recruiting has not been nearly as good as it has been. I agree with you. But to say 'it will not affect any new recruit' is just not true. Who's to say one more appearance (Or two? Three?) at the game or tournament of a recruit we whiffed on wouldn't have made the difference?

Anyone who says the sanctions have not affected this program is not grounded in the reality of recruiting.
Yes, and the sanctions took a bit to show how serious they were (on the recruiting side). We were still moving right along, but looking back, they had a big impact.

Yes, and the sanctions took a bit to show how serious they were (on the recruiting side). We were still moving right along, but looking back, they had a big impact.
I 100℅ agree. It seems people have been posting nonsense out of frustration recently. Does anyone have an update on Ayala? An article on 247 today had SU and UCONN as the frontrunners if he reclassified to 17 but he has a lot more options if he stays in 18. It looks to me like getting him in next year will be a real long shot.

You mean GMac brought in Moyer, Red brought in Thompson, and Hop/Gary Battle brought in Tyus Battle. If it was only up to JB, then our recruits as of late would only be the teammates of his kids, Jimmy Jr and Buddy.

You mean GMac brought in Moyer, Red brought in Thompson, and Hop/Gary Battle brought in Tyus Battle. If it was only up to JB, then our recruits as of late would only be the teammates of his kids, Jimmy Jr and Buddy.

lol, I hate to laugh but piggy backing on one of your previous posts saying "The only HS game JB has watched are ones that Jimmy and Buddy have played in".

I don't believe the man has checked out as being a coach, but with recruiting it seems like he has.

This sucks....

Look I hear this and some of it may be true but you know you say we have half the recruiters. Then you send out your best two then right? Where was HCJB? He spent a lot lot time working with Coach K with the Olympic team. To me the was bullcrap. The team needed him more recruiting than to be coaching a bunch of professionals, for what, another gold medal? We didn't land any big time recruits because our closer was playing with the BIG boys. I'm saying it the way I see it, coach JB isn't showing the enthusiasm the last past year whether its because he is heading out soon or what, but it is sure is showing the results of whatever. Sorry guys just saying out loud what other are holding back. I'm not hating really, just frustrated watching this team faltering the way it is.

Disagree with your second sentence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom