Recruiting, Sanctions, JB, Hop, etc... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting, Sanctions, JB, Hop, etc...

Toward the end, Maryland fans were saying the exact same thing about Gary Williams. I never thought JB would go out like that,
People get tired. The NCAA hamstrung us. We're getting beat by the blue bloods. It's frustrating. Hop needs to land a guy and get his mojo going then hire a legit staff.

If you want to use sanctions as an excuse then as Janner said here, Recruiting, Sanctions, JB, Hop, etc... the sanctions should've given JB a boost to be more visible than he has been to let recruits know that he's not fading away. The fact that you even asked if high school games are important anymore lets me know that this should be my last response to you. You only have a limited amount of days in the spring/summer that you can watch and attend an AAU event in person.

I would think JB's and Hop's Olympic commitment would have effected their availability time wise though. Instead of helping SU's visibility did their involvement effect it this go around?

You're taking your frustrations out on the wrong person. Like he said, Francis is just posting facts on factors that resulted in our recruiting situation and many posters such as myself greatly appreciate the insight. There's nothing disrespectful about it. If anything I'd say Francis has been easy on the staff if you actually take a step back and look at their roster management over the past few years.
This was my whole point but some won't say because they are afraid of being crucified. I for one Francis applaud you for saying it the way you feel about it.

I would think JB's and Hop's Olympic commitment would have effected their availability time wise though. Instead of helping SU's visibility did their involvement effect it this go around?
I think that's one of the reasons why GMac was given such a larger role for this class than we had expected. Some say that Coach K has used Team USA towards his advantage to overtake Cal in recruiting over the past few years. Wish we had some of that juice with JB and Hop being part of it, but it hasn't been that big of a boost for our recruiting advantage.

The limit of two recruiters on the road certainly has an impact. Whether tangible, where we would prefer to have more coaches at a key event or more than two events to cover, or intangible, where it is used by the head coach to rationalize spending less time at events or HS games.

By all accounts, JB has still been very visible at the major AAU events, and yes, watching his sons play in these events with and against some very high level prospects plays a part in that.

The limit of two recruiters on the road certainly has an impact. Whether tangible, where we would prefer to have more coaches at a key event or more than two events to cover, or intangible, where it is used by the head coach to rationalize spending less time at events or HS games.

By all accounts, JB has still been very visible at the major AAU events, and yes, watching his sons play in these events with and against some very high level prospects plays a part in that.

The likelihood of needing more than two on the road at the same time though is extremely slim, no? Nobody really does that anyways from what I have gathered.

Please stop. You are smarter than this. There are a number of factors working against SU right now. The sanctions and the pending retirement of Boehiem are making things a little harder but come on man. You realize this staff got Battle, Thompson and Moyer LAST year. That's three top 100 guys. Not getting a great class this year stinks, but you are over the top lately and need to give it a rest.
Who caused these sanctions that you speak of? The fans or the players who took their marching orders from a higher authority.

Who caused these sanctions that you speak of? The fans or the players who took their marching orders from a higher authority.
I am not sure what you mean? I was defending Hop, Gerry and Red. Are they guilty of the infractions? Certainly not Gerry who was a player during a number of the years that cited. I was referring to the OP nonstop criticism of the staff, do you think it is justified?

There isn't a school in the country that would fire a staff after a final four. Let alone two in the last 4 years. Totally ridiculous statement. As for the recruiting gaffes, in the last two years, we have recruited 4 kids that will play in the NBA. And none were top 15 players in high school.
Maybe firing is a knee jerk reaction, but where is the accountability? Accountability means there should be consequences for performing below expectations on the recruiting trail. Staff reorganization, demotion, something. Not quite sure how Gerry keeps getting promoted with nothing to show for it except a couple of top 100 recruits. And JB's complacency in this area would put him on the hot seat if he wasn't close to retirement. Francis' observations are pretty incriminating. You think izzo, self, and K would sleep under their desk and tell gmac and red to wake him when it's time for the closer to pay a visit?

Last edited:
Maybe firing is a knee jerk reaction, but where is the accountability? Accountability means there should be consequences for performing below expectations on the recruiting trail. Staff reorganization, demotion, something. Not quite sure how Gerry keeps getting promoted with nothing to show for it except a couple of top 100 recruits. And JB's complacency in this area would put him on the hot seat if he wasn't close to retirement. Francis' observations are pretty incriminating. You think izzo, self, and K would sleep under their desk and tell gmac and red to wake him when it's time for the closer to pay a visit?
JB isn't Cal and he isn't K. No one else is either. It's also ridiculous to compare anyone to those guys. As a person that has fired people in my career, it is not something that should be done lightly. A kid flipping to Kentucky of all places should have no effect. We aren't Kentucky. We have never been Kentucky. To think that we are going to be Kentucky is swell. Just not realistic. I don't know whether G-mac can become a good recruiter. Neither do you. That process usually takes time. you have to build relationships. G-mac should never have been put in the position that he was last year. And the sanctions have hurt. Not an excuse. Just a fact. That was the sanctions purpose, after all. Jb will be gone soon. And I'm sure the next 41 years will be a lot better.

JB isn't Cal and he isn't K. No one else is either. It's also ridiculous to compare anyone to those guys. As a person that has fired people in my career, it is not something that should be done lightly. A kid flipping to Kentucky of all places should have no effect. We aren't Kentucky. We have never been Kentucky. To think that we are going to be Kentucky is swell. Just not realistic. I don't know whether G-mac can become a good recruiter. Neither do you. That process usually takes time. you have to build relationships. G-mac should never have been put in the position that he was last year. And the sanctions have hurt. Not an excuse. Just a fact. That was the sanctions purpose, after all. Jb will be gone soon. And I'm sure the next 41 years will be a lot better.

Who put Gmac in that position???? Someone that was more interested in the Olympics.

There isn't a school in the country that would fire a staff after a final four. Let alone two in the last 4 years. Totally ridiculous statement. As for the recruiting gaffes, in the last two years, we have recruited 4 kids that will play in the NBA. And none were top 15 players in high school.
The "other schools" might consider another factor. That's our coach was at the helm during (2) NCAA investigations. The latest NCAA fiasco added another black eye to the school's rep.

We aren't Kentucky. I don't know whether G-mac can become a good recruiter. Neither do you.
The quade issue was about no plan b which falls on jimmy. But in the big picture Why are we grooming an unproven fisherman when we should be looking nationally for an ace recruiter?

Last edited:
The quade issue was about no plan b. Why are we relying on a fisherman when we should be looking nationally for an ace recruiter?
G-mac wasn't out worked for Green. And no ace recruiter can out ace recruit Cal .

The "other schools" might consider another factor. That's our coach was at the helm during (2) NCAA investigations. The latest NCAA fiasco added another black eye to the school's rep.
Different issue and a fair one. If the school decided to go that route, I would not have said a word. In a way, I think they did.

That wasn't the problem. Taking Hopkins with him was the problem. And once again, a fair take.
Not to harp on Jb's decisions but if the boss says you stay...you stay and hold down the fort. He took Hop with him. I guess I'm just ready for change.

They don't have to win another game ...ever. I would still support SU. The school helped me significantly with my kids. They have excellent jobs and love the school like me. With all the negatives floating around via rumor, etc. I just think it's time for JB to yield way for a fresh start.

Not to harp on Jb's decisions but if the boss says you stay...you stay and hold down the fort. He took Hop with him. I guess I'm just ready for change.

They don't have to win another game ...ever. I would still support SU. The school helped me significantly with my kids. They have excellent jobs and love the school like me. With all the negatives floating around via rumor, etc. I just think it's time for JB to yield way for a fresh start.
I don't disagree with that.

I don't disagree with that.

Assume you mean the part about being ready for a change.

That isn't necessarily inconsistent with the position that GMac shouldn't be villified for the situation we currently find ourselves in with the Class of 2017. People want to point to one thing, blame one person when in reality I think (as I think you have argued) that the recruiting situation is a function of many many factors, starting with JB being less attentive and continuing right through sanctions and the overhang of NCAA investigation(s) and the imminent coaching change.

Oh I know. I was referring to next season. There is still uncertainty if JB will be back.
Have I missed something. Did JAB or someone in power make a comment regarding uncertainty of JAB coaching next season. I thought the plans were still the following season.

Have I missed something. Did JAB or someone in power make a comment regarding uncertainty of JAB coaching next season. I thought the plans were still the following season.

Not, just a lot of chatter around here. People don't think JB would want a retirement tour.

Not, just a lot of chatter around here. People don't think JB would want a retirement tour.
Right. He is on record (years ago, IIRC) that he doesn't want any part of a farewell tour. That, to me, puts doubt on when he actually retires.

That, or he tells all the venues he visits next year he wants no fanfare. :noidea:

Right. He is on record (years ago, IIRC) that he doesn't want any part of a farewell tour. That, to me, puts doubt on when he actually retires.

That, or he tells all the venues he visits next year he wants no fanfare. :noidea:

don't see Jim going out on a season like this one. just don't
Right, O79, and that's what gives me pause. If he leaves now, though, it would look like he's abandoning ship.

And yes, Shark, but the question is: what if next year is worse?

Right, O79, and that's what gives me pause. If he leaves now, though, it would look like he's abandoning ship.

And yes, Shark, but the question is: what if next year is worse?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom