Recruiting, Sanctions, JB, Hop, etc... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting, Sanctions, JB, Hop, etc...

Oh, good lord. Saving scholarships for walk-ons? There's a lot you can try to pin on JB, but saving scholarships for walk-ons?

Nothing to do with his habit of playing generally 8-9 players, right? He's been saving scholarships for walk-ons for 40 years?

Come on man. Not 40 years obviously. Let's not play games. One would deduce that it must be to boost APR as of late, no?

Come on man. Not 40 years obviously. Let's not play games. One would deduce that it must be to boost APR as of late, no?
No, you come on man. Saying JB has not been recruiting talent that could win him games because he is saving scholarships for walk-ons is, well, ludicrous.

No, you come on man. Saying JB has not been recruiting talent that could win him games because he is saving scholarships for walk-ons is, well, ludicrous.

Well depending on what we do with 5th year and juco guys, 5 walkons may have scholarships next year.

Gmac is not and will not should not ever be our lead recruiter.

Why would they? They can go out in one unit of duos whenever. That's what everybody does. Nothing is prohibiting them from contacting via social media. They don't all go out in tandem like the Four Tenors or Troubadours. Boeheim's also been saving scholarships for walkons in recent years. The sanctions excuse is just way overblown, imo. If there is direct proof of it being an issue tangibly then I'd like to see it. Maybe some stigma or red flag for certain families of recruits but methinks UNC and Louisville won't miss a beat.

So, having the recruiters cut in half is no big deal? Has no impact on whether or not the head coach is the one on the road? Why even bother having recruiters if the head coach is #2 on the list of dudes hitting the road?

A team would generally split up 4 coaches to at least 2 events at a time. Now they're relegated to 1 event at a time. Travelling in packs of 4 isn't relevant.

So, having the recruiters cut in half is no big deal? Has no impact on whether or not the head coach is the one on the road? Why even bother having recruiters if the head coach is #2 on the list of dudes hitting the road?

A team would generally split up 4 coaches to at least 2 events at a time. Now they're relegated to 1 event at a time. Travelling in packs of 4 isn't relevant.
I don't think the travel restrictions are that big of a deal. But apparently they're enough to keep JAB from traveling to see games that his kids aren't playing in.

The bigger issue is that they skipped the summer for the Olympics and the three-year swan song for JAB. I think the protracted transition leaves them a coach short in a way.

I don't think the travel restrictions are that big of a deal. But apparently they're enough to keep JAB from traveling to see games that his kids aren't playing in.

The bigger issue is that they skipped the summer for the Olympics and the three-year swan song for JAB. I think the protracted transition leaves them a coach short in a way.

I'm assuming JB doesn't count as a recruiter when he's watching his kids play as long as he doesn't make contact with the recruits they're playing against. Somebody with more knowledge of the NCAA regulations can feel free to correct me, but that would appear to be the common sense conclusion. So, if that's the case, JB is able to watch potential recruits play without counting as a recruiter on the road. In light of the sanctions, isn't that a somewhat smart idea to essentially have 3 recruiters (or maybe we'll say 2.5) out there instead of just 2?

I'm assuming JB doesn't count as a recruiter when he's watching his kids play as long as he doesn't make contact with the recruits they're playing against. Somebody with more knowledge of the NCAA regulations can feel free to correct me, but that would appear to be the common sense conclusion. So, if that's the case, JB is able to watch potential recruits play without counting as a recruiter on the road. In light of the sanctions, isn't that a somewhat smart idea to essentially have 3 recruiters (or maybe we'll say 2.5) out there instead of just 2?
If that's true, sure - great idea, but I doubt that it is.

I know you can attend events even during "dead" periods if your son is playing in the event. Calipari was at a few events when his son was at prep school and other coaches weren't allowed. Not sure how strict they are about only being able to stay for your son's game and being able to watch the ones before and after.

Eh. I think both sides have a small argument compared to what the real problem was. I think bringing Hopkins to team USA killed us. It left Autry and GMAC to fend for themselves. Plus there was some other stuff that happened that killed us.
smart move by coach "K" as he learns what Hopkins takes on future game planning and styles,bad move by Boeheim to allow it to happen.

If I can sound in with a different perspective, and I apologize if it's been discussed as I haven't totally caught up on the thread...

There is more going on than sanctions. Now guys, don't hurt me, but I listened to an interview on Fox with Calipari. I despise him as much as anyone, but he damn near recruited me to KY just from that interview! So upbeat and positive, his entire perspective was what's best for the kids and he promoted, promoted, promoted! Anyone with an ounce of skill would love playing for him. Now on the other network is the old curmudgeon, dissing his players (i.e., Robey) in public, slumped in his chair, treats the media like crap and has the energy of a guy who passed last week. Might explain Green's jump more than a bag of money.

Look, 2 coaches on the road hurt, but the two coaches NEVER seemed to be JB and Hop. I mean, Cam Reddish is a Melo type of recruit who is on our short list. We whiffed on all the wing guys we were looking at for 2017. You would think that Hop, for Chrissakes, would be there. It's his team next year. Why the hell is Hop suddenly not on the road, either? Why is Gerry the closer? Why is Red the main guy? What message does that send to the recruit? Two guys can do the job, if they get off their asses and actually show up and be visible at these big games. That's what it takes.

Look, 2 coaches on the road hurt, but the two coaches NEVER seemed to be JB and Hop. I mean, Cam Reddish is a Melo type of recruit who is on our short list. We whiffed on all the wing guys we were looking at for 2017. You would think that Hop, for Chrissakes, would be there. It's his team next year. Why the hell is Hop suddenly not on the road, either? Why is Gerry the closer? Why is Red the main guy? What message does that send to the recruit? Two guys can do the job, if they get off their asses and actually show up and be visible at these big games. That's what it takes.
amen. If I am Hop, I am camped out at Cam Reddish games. Bringing him in would literally be like scaling Mt. Everest on your first try. He would lead to wins and other big time players signing on to a new head coach. It's crazy to think a player of that caliber, a few hours at most away from cuse, wouldn't be a major major priority, despite interest from the other big schools.

amen. If I am Hop, I am camped out at Cam Reddish games. Bringing him in would literally be like scaling Mt. Everest on your first try. He would lead to wins and other big time players signing on to a new head coach. It's crazy to think a player of that caliber, a few hours at most away from cuse, wouldn't be a major major priority, despite interest from the other big schools.

Problem is that we didn't get any of those foundation guys we needed in this class. When we got Melo, we had recruited a very good supporting class in the year before. We needed that in this class and we got nothing. Well, we got 2 good program guys, but we have no point guard and very few pieces to place around a star player for next year.

Problem is that we didn't get any of those foundation guys we needed in this class. When we got Melo, we had recruited a very good supporting class in the year before. We needed that in this class and we got nothing. Well, we got 2 good program guys, but we have no point guard and very few pieces to place around a star player for next year.
Sounds crazy to some, I am sure, but Cam Reddish would be my offensive lead.

I hear that, but he could also anchor a class with Jahvon Quinerly, etc. Add a pg like that with a talent like Reddish, sprinkle in Sidibe, Moyer, Brissett, etc., and thats a solid squad.

Last edited:
All right. I'm chiming in. It has been fairly obvious to me for quite some time that the greatest successes in recruiting happened shortly after JB's induction into the Hall of Fame. Recruiting was good before that (but we still always complained about the lack of All-Americans compared to other programs), but JB's induction took recruiting to another level.

Because of that I could kind of see the writing on the wall when JB's retirement date was set and announced. I was hoping that having a high energy guy like Hop in the program and waiting to take over would ease any potential pitfalls in recruiting. But now, the pattern seems to be too undeniable:

It's not sanctions

It's not coaching an Olympic team

It's not falling asleep under a desk

It's simply this: Jim Boeheim will not be at Syracuse in the fall of 2018.

This is unfortunate to say because a program like Syracuse should recruit for itself. What I am saying is that recruits seemed to really take notice in the program only after Boeheim was inducted

It's simply this: Jim Boeheim will not be at Syracuse in the fall of 2018.

/QUOTE]
Disagree because 1) Almost every recruit thinks they are one and done (at least the recent ones we have whiffed on) & 2) So many recruits in the past 10-15 years have committed to SU because of Hop, not Boeheim (and many have made this public.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom