Recruiting strategy | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting strategy

Ok, so I hear from some people we signed Chin to get Bryant and a 4 year great academics and hope he contributes.

From you you're saying every team does this.

I don't know of any perennial top 15 team that signs a guy who will be useful for 2 out of 4 years tops.

That's not even the point, the point is you don't think we're capable of signing better players than that? Come on.
Kentucky - Derek Willis - 3* PF/C out of Kentucky. Same year as Randle, Lee and Johnson. Already had Noel and Cauley-Stein Don't think they expected him to play. Recruited over by Lyles and Towns and again by Labissiere and they still want at least one of Rabb, Zimmerman, Diallo, Swanigan, Bryant. I don't think Cal ever expects the kid to play or see the court. But he recruited him and gave him a scholarship. And oh by the way. Obokoh was ranked higher than Willis by R!va1s. Also schools like Uconn, Nova and Michigan St took players ranked lower than Obokoh.

It honestly happens all the time at every program especially with big men. And I'm not even talking about the Bryant part. And by the way, Obokoh was the #2 player in NYS, #25 Center in the country. And just for giggles here are the other schools that offered Obokoh a scholarship: Nova, Temple, Dayton, Miami, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pitt, Providence, Seton Hall, Texas.

SU offered Obokoh because they needed a Center but didn't think they'd need him right away. Give it up. Your axe is just a club now.

So Syracuse University basketball, multiple championship contenders, numerous #1 rankings, HOF coach with 900+ wins, largest on campus facility in the country, and were giving scholarships to 4 year glue guys that aren't ready after a year in a half and may never be ready.

You may think this thread is dumb but I think a school with the prestige that we have and the advantages we have is dumb to give scholarships to non factors.
Fact A: There are no 4 year scholarships.
Fact B: The staff is great at developing players.
Fact C: Not every player develops at the same rate, and some don't develop enough.
Fact D: Our coach can beat better talent with lesser talent.

Last edited:
I don't post here often.

But this has to be the dumbest argument ever made. We recruited O because we thought he could contribute down the road. And because Thomas Bryant is a very good friend. O needs to be given 4 years before you judge him.

And we're not Kentucky. We don't sell used cars here.

Lot of time spent on Obokoh.

So I will change it up...Why did we recruit Buss?

Buss was the NEPSAC player of the year his senior year. A very competitive league. A league where on his own team alone was Elijah Macon (WVU), Kyle Washington (NCSt), McCullough (TheSU), and Martez Harrison (some mid major, forget off the top of my but you will hear about him soon) etc.

In crunch time on this team he had the ball in his hands and ran the team.

He was recruited by Indiana, but Crean being the moron he is let him go.

He hasn't shot well but most do not early on. He is an underrated passer and a great defender. I feel more confident watching him dribble the ball under duress than Joseph.

Averaged less than 3 points and 4 rebounds a game over his career. Never really improved from his first to fourth year.

Solid defensively, awful on offense, probably the most missed dunks in Syracuse history, and had probably the worst hands of a player that ever came through here.

You probably think he was better than Fab Melo.

Wow, really? I don't know what to say other than, I think you have it wrong!

He's part of the rotation and he's finishing games because there is nobody else. He's shooting 25% from the field and even worse from 3. I don't care how good your defense is if you want to be a top 10 team you don't have guys that shoot that poorly as major contributors.

Made this post in 2015 and not much has changed.....

Lots of interesting stuff in this thread.

our strategy should be the same as all of the elite schools. recruit the best available players.

/thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom