Recruiting Updates | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

Interesting note about Malachi's "defensive potential" in there. Seems a little like a back-handed compliment, since if he was currently a strong defender you'd think they would just say that. Still, for a guy who's got some quickness, height and good reach, being a strong defender seems well within his reach, even if he's not quite there yet.
I thought it was also interesting that they had Tyus as a SF when we are recruiting him for the point.

I thought it was also interesting that they had Tyus as a SF when we are recruiting him for the point.

Yeah, noticed that too. Maybe he plays SF in high school? Didn't think he did. Thought he was being recruited by everyone as a PG.

Yeah, noticed that too. Maybe he plays SF in high school? Didn't think he did. Thought he was being recruited by everyone as a PG.
Very much like a G type. He switches roles and doesn't necessarily guard the his offensive position as he has the height to play with wings now. I really see him as a combo type and possibly more of a 2, long term. Not nearly as much of a true point as I always thought MCW was.

Negative. That's why SU has a chance here despite what most think. I agree with Tee, I view him as a G type who can play multiple positions. Staff thinks they can mold him into MCW, so we'll see.

Negative. That's why SU has a chance here despite what most think. I agree with Tee, I view him as a G type who can play multiple positions. Staff thinks they can mold him into MCW, so we'll see.

Cool, thanks to you and Tee for the insight.

Whatsup, deano! I was looking through your update on OW -- who's this Tony Carr kid? I don't see him on our recruiting list.
6'4 PG that plays on Team Final. Same program that has fed us Rak, Dion, Cooney, BJ, and Mali. Has had a big season in the Philly Catholic league leading his Roman Catholic squad to the finals coming up. Pretty much a backup plan at this point if things go south with Battle.

Thanks, man. Mini JB and Mini Red still rocking!
Neither are considered high D1 talents, but I've heard for a while that JB Jr is really a good shooter. It wouldn't surprise me if he played as a walk-on at several points to be a zone buster whenever shooting options are limited at SU.

Neither are considered high D1 talents, but I've heard for a while that JB Jr is really a good shooter. It wouldn't surprise me if he played as a walk-on at several points to be a zone buster whenever shooting options are limited at SU.
I don't think Andy Rautins was too highly rated going into his junior year. Which is not saying that JBjr. is likely to make the same sort of leap.

Just to throw out this question, let's say JBjr (or any coaches kid) is good enough to get a d1 scholarship offers from a variety of schools, if they attend the school their dad coaches at, would they be allowed to "walk-on" and have dad (aka Coach) pay their way? Or is that some sort of ancillary benefit issue?

Not that it appears we will have that become a real scenario here, but im interested to know the answer

Just to throw out this question, let's say JBjr (or any coaches kid) is good enough to get a d1 scholarship offers from a variety of schools, if they attend the school their dad coaches at, would they be allowed to "walk-on" and have dad (aka Coach) pay their way? Or is that some sort of ancillary benefit issue?

Not that it appears we will have that become a real scenario here, but im interested to know the answer
Good question but I have no idea. Hopefully someone knows the answer to that.

Steve Alford's son plays at UcLA and launches 3's all day, and he's on scholly. He actually is a pretty good player.

Good question but I have no idea. Hopefully someone knows the answer to that.
The rule used to be that if you were a recruited athlete--you had offers from other D-I schools (and maybe lower division also)--you had to be put on an athletic scholarship.

That was one of the things that got the SU lax program in trouble in the late '80's-early '90's, when one of the star players was paid out of other funds because his mother worked for the university. That freed up money to recruit other athletes to the program.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what the story was with Doug McDermott of Creighton hoops fame. He played for his father, and for some reason, I think he may have been counted as a walk-on his last year, because they had run out of scholarships. Although it may have been someone else on the roster who gave up his athletic scholarship.

The rule used to be that if you were a recruited athlete--you had offers from other D-I schools (and maybe lower division also)--you had to be put on an athletic scholarship.

That was one of the things that got the SU lax program in trouble in the late '80's-early '90's, when one of the star players was paid out of other funds because his mother worked for the university. That freed up money to recruit other athletes to the program.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what the story was with Doug McDermott of Creighton hoops fame. He played for his father, and for some reason, I think he may have been counted as a walk-on his last year, because they had run out of scholarships. Although it may have been someone else on the roster who gave up his athletic scholarship.

Just a hunch but possibly McDermott got free tuition due to his father being a employee of Creighton