Recruiting Updates | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

Just my opinion on this! There was verbiage in the NCCA penalties that inferred SU could only retain the players that were officially offered. Signed document. TB was not officially offered so IMO that means he is out in the NCAA eyes. Now if SU appeals, it is possible that all cards are off the table until the NCAA responds to the appeal. But even if that is the case; will SU try to push TB thru while the appeal process is going on? Will SU then want to deal with situation where they would have to be forced to get down to 13 in 2016/17? That would mean other than Cooney and Mike, 2 more players would have to leave early to keep their commitment to Moyer. It seems evident to me they have to pass on TB because of sanctions and that really puts TB in a last minute scramble because I think he was planning on SU all along.
I think you're right -- if SU appeals (we'll know in 4 days), there would be a 110 day timeline before the appeal is heard. If the penalties do not take effect until that period is over, then we could attempt to bring in TB ... if one other player decides to leave (we're already at 13 for next year with Rak leaving and Diagne, Howard, Lyden and MR coming in).

Next year: TC. G. KJ. MR. Howard. TR. Lydon. Diagne. CM. TB? DC2. Obokoh. BJ. RP. (one player has to leave to meet the 13 scholarship maximum .. if the reductions are delayed or modified on appeal).

Then, in 16-17, we'd have to begin whatever scholarship reductions remain in place after the appeal. That year, we loose TC, G and likely CM would jump, bringing us to 10 (including TB if someone leaves and he comes in). However, that year Moyer comes in--so we're back at 11. So we'd either have to loose another player to stay at 10 or win an appeal of the recruiting restrictions.

2016-17: KJ. Howard. MR. BJ. Lydon. Moyer. CM(?) TR. Diagne. TB. DC2. Obokoh (If CM jumps, that leaves us with 11 -- so someone else would have to leave the program to get to 10 unless that number changes on appeal).

Last edited:
I think you're right -- if SU appeals (we'll know in 4 days), there would be a 110 day timeline before the appeal is heard. If the penalties do not take effect until that period is over, then we could attempt to bring in TB ... if one other player decides to leave (we're already at 13 for next year with Rak leaving and Diagne, Howard, Lyden and MR coming in).

Then, in 16-17, we'd have to begin whatever scholarship reductions remain in place after the appeal. That year, we loose TC, G and likely CM would jump, bringing us to 10 (including TB if someone leaves and he comes in). However, that year Moyer comes in--so we're back at 11. So we'd either have to loose another player to stay at 10 or win an appeal of the recruiting restrictions.

And don't forget Battle . . . . . . and if extremely lucky Giles. Either way we can see how 10 really handcuffs the staff long term especially with signing guys early because it becomes a waiting game each season with who's leaving. I expect a reduction before the 16 class comes in hopefully back to 12 but at least 11 IMO.

And don't forget Battle . . . . . . and if extremely lucky Giles. Either way we can see how 10 really handcuffs the staff long term especially with signing guys early because it becomes a waiting game each season with who's leaving. I expect a reduction before the 16 class comes in hopefully back to 12 but at least 11 IMO.
Let's just forget that name ever existed.;)

Jordoo ... now you're applying pressure, man! How am I going to squeeze Battle into the 16' class? That class is currently at 11 even with CM jumping to the league. So with Battle, we'd need 2 players to leave the program for Moyer and Tyus to come in if the scholarship reduction limit remains at 10. Let's hope we have a good appellate lawyer arguing our case to the NCAA.

Last edited:
Jordoo ... now you're applying pressure, man! How am I going to squeeze Battle into the 16' class? That class is currently at 11 even with CM jumping to the league. So with Battle, we'd need 2 players to leave the program to have room if the scholarship reduction limit remains at 10. Let's hope we have a good appellate lawyer arguing our case to the NCAA.

"Tremendous changes" is highly likely to be more than one player. Cooney and G run out of eligibility after next season. Chris, Malachi both have the prerequisite measurements, skills and potential to be drafted highly after one good season.

Someone more talented than I needs to do a Wheel of Fortune entitled "SU Hoops Recruiting 2015-2017".

Be sure to include an image from this SEC a-c (we'll be thinking of you, Swankey, when the NCAA rips Kentucky and Alabama):

Swankey.jpg

Last edited:

Next year: TC. G. KJ. MR. Howard. TR. Lydon. Diagne. CM. TB? DC2. Obokoh. BJ. RP. (one player has to leave to meet the 13 scholarship maximum .. if the reductions are delayed or modified on appeal).

2016-17: KJ. Howard. MR. BJ. Lydon. Moyer. CM(?) TR. Diagne. TB. DC2. Obokoh (If CM jumps, that leaves us with 11 -- so someone else would have to leave the program to get to 10 unless that number changes on appeal).

I'm not sure you count is correct for 2015-16 season. Here's a good site list for this:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/syracuse

If we have only 10 scholarships then someone has to leave early for the 2016-17 season so Moyer has a spot.

He was always a long shot but now ships are very tight. Moyer is committed and Battle is the priority.
Unless we are reduced from 10 ships to 12 ships for the 16-17 season, I don't think its possible to get Giles if we keep Moyer, which we have clearly stated we intend to do.

I love Giles, I've made it known how badly I want this kid, and how unbelievably awesome I think he will be for 1 season in college, but the incredible outside shot we had to pull Giles out of North Carolina died the day sanctions were announced IMO. But man if somehow someway JB pulled something out of his hat to get Moyer, Giles and Battle in 16 (with reduced sanctions obviously) we would be a favorite to win it all. That would be something special to behold.

I'm not sure you count is correct for 2015-16 season. Here's a good site list for this:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/syracuse

If we have only 10 scholarships then someone has to leave early for the 2016-17 season so Moyer has a spot.
The verbalcommits is a good site (I linked it in a previous email). It has us at 13 next year (it doesn't make any reference to the NCAA sanctions). But that's probably correct, because the NCAA sanctions don't apply in 2015-16 for our 4 recruits and possibly another player we sign during the appeal (if someone leaves) .. based on what I said before.

Here are the details again: We already know that the NCAA sanctions don't start until 2016 because they don't affect the 4 athletes we already have financial arrangements with. I'm also positing that ... since SU is appealing the restrictions (as I anticipated they would) .. there is a chance that during the 110 day appeal process, we could make financial arrangements with an additional player (i.e., TB). For that to happen, since we're at 13 for next season, another player would also have to leave the program. That's what I said above.

Last edited:
Do we know if all of our current recruits have qualified academically?
I believe Lydon and Howard are good. Diagne being an international student will probably have his transcript looked at longer than others similar to Chino. Mali being at multiple schools in NJ like Roberson, I could see his situation take a bit to clear as well. All four are noted as good students and I've never heard of any academic problems or issues with them.

I believe Lydon and Howard are good. Diagne being an international student will probably have his transcript looked at longer than others similar to Chino. Mali being at multiple schools in NJ like Roberson, I could see his situation take a bit to clear as well. All four are noted as good students and I've never heard of any academic problems or issues with them.

Richardson is supposed a very good student, so despite the transfers I wouldn't expect him to have any red flags.