Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting

hoopsupstate

Living Legend
The bottom line is for us to get better, we have to upgrade our recruiting. Everyone keeps saying that we're getting 2 star players who we can coach up to be good BCS players. That's garbage. That's like saying if Boeheim signed only 2 and 3 star players he could coach them up to be a top ten team. The reason we have been consistently in the top 10 for the past couple of years is that we started getting 5 star players with a couple of 4 stars sprinkled in. If you haven't noticed, the best teams in football also get all of the 4 abnd 5 star players. There is no secret to winning. GET TALENT! We haven't finished in the top half of the Big East in recruiting since Doug got here. If that doesn't change, and this year's class will not be in the top half, he isn't long at SU. I don't care how much everyone likes him. I wish him the best, but he has to start getting better players. Everyone, not in the top 30 are looking for diamonds in the rough. There are only so many and Doug isn't getting all of them.

I agree although some people like Bnoro here think that the star system is completely meritless. Trust Duggie they say!

Not completly, butI do think that NY guys tend to be undervalued by the system

The best athletes out there will be identified by the talent sites (Rivals, Scout, etc). There are also way more athletes out there that haven't been found or hyped up yet. You won't know what they can truly become unless you get them into a system with good coaching and in a S&C program.

There are 5 star busts and there are NR, 2 and 3 stars that become studs. That is where it comes down to the ability to identify talent that fits into their program. At 16, 17, 18 years old, most kids are still growing. They haven't fully developed yet. There is a huge pool of those kids to choose from. You just need to somehow get more that will pan out than won't. That comes to down to the coaches' ability to measure a kid's potential. They've been hitting up kids in NYC who don't play football 365 days a year. Doesn't mean they won't be studs, they just need to spend time learning, lifting and being coached.

A kid who is 6'4 240 in HS with a 4.5 is a freak and will be sought after by everyone. They don't grow off trees. At this point, SU will not land any kids like that. We need to settle for the kids who haven't been overhyped. If we can win for a few years combined with us joining the ACC will help us get more.

I love winning, but GRob messed this program up for a decade. We can't forget that. 2012 will be Marrone's 4th year and will have mostly players that he recruited. Let's just hope they can solidly wrap up this class.

I agree although some people like Bnoro here think that the star system is completely meritless. Trust Duggie they say!
Thanks for the shoutout. Never said completely meritless. Just said it's highly flawed.

Stars are based on two main things. Who offered, and which schools have the most subscribers on Rivals/Scout. For years, kids that got an ND offer were immediately bumped to 4/5 stars, making it seem like ND has underachieved the last few years when in fact, the talent is slightly overrated and the coach couldn't develop it. It's not an exact science.

I never said "trust in duggie". I trust in the evaluation system our school uses, which I have seen in person and have seen how it works. It is a very effective tool and has helped us find numerous diamonds in the rough. Kris Curtis would have started this year as a true frosh if he didn't get hurt. We have some very good players that didn't play this year. Eskeridge might be our best player in the secondary right now.

hey Bnoro, can u give us an eval of some sort for the young talent on this team... what you have seen in practices or things that you have heard.. that would be awesome! thanks

hey Bnoro, can u give us an eval of some sort for the young talent on this team... what you have seen in practices or things that you have heard.. that would be awesome! thanks
Can't go too much in depth, since I haven't been on campus too much this semester. What I've told you is much of what I gathered this weekend, but I was given a stellar review on Eskeridge, to the effect that he was toying with our WR's in practice. I was told our O-line was also in good shape before injuries, look for Trudo, Hickey, and Curtis to make moves next year. Don't expect Macky to be unseated, Trudo will most likely play G.

Can't go too much in depth, since I haven't been on campus too much this semester. What I've told you is much of what I gathered this weekend, but I was given a stellar review on Eskeridge, to the effect that he was toying with our WR's in practice. I was told our O-line was also in good shape before injuries, look for Trudo, Hickey, and Curtis to make moves next year. Don't expect Macky to be unseated, Trudo will most likely play G.
Lets hope that Mack has a late growth spurt!

thanks my man, im hoping our line improves on both sides of teh ball... sounds like we might be young on the O-line,a nd im hoping another year of SnC will get our middle of the Dline much improved

Was Lou Alexander a stop-gap so these younger guys could RS or develop?
i think the staff thought he could play but i dont think he will here. hasn't really done anything to earn PT

i think the staff thought he could play but i dont think he will here. hasn't really done anything to earn PT

It hasn't helped that he is about 40 pounds overweight. If he doesn't get in better shape, I think he has no chance to play. Looks like a decent athlete. Needs to talk to Tiller and go on his diet.

It's disappointing to see just how many people give "The Star System" published by the people who haven't seen the overwhelming proportion of the players they "evaluate" play. It's a scam and its consumers are the gullible fans desperate for any information even if they actually know it is flawed.

The strength of "The Star System" is that it models the categoroes that recruiters actually put these prospects into. But it's not a continuum, it's categories.

Recruiters put kids into 4 or 5 categories based on their assessment of his college potential. How great will his impact/contribution be and how soon in his college career will he be able to contribute.

The top category (5 Stars, if you insist) are "can't miss prospects" who will play almost immediately. These are actually the easiest to identify. They have the physical attributes and the growth postential and they are making a huge impact in high school.

The second category are players who they feel will make a strong contribution in their sophmore or junior years, They aren't as lightning fast as the "5 Stars", but they are clearly going to be good college players.

The third category is where most of the kids who play will be. It's prospects who have the potential to play, that need development, but that most likely contribute until they are Jrs or Srs. Nebraska has made a program out of these kids playing when they are seniors or redshirt seniors.

The fourth category are "projects". There's some potential there, but it may or may not materialize. These are "gambles"

Recruiting is a "crap shoot". The top teams have it easy sxelecting "can't miss" players.

The rest of the teams must pick carefully and develop players, And there's a lot of luck involved.

yea 5 star is based on speed and offers. S&C coaches are very valuable to programs..look at Urban going after the Florida guy he was with when he was there. He must trust him and think he does a good job. I hope we do the same here at Syracuse because with the 2-3 star guys we get, untapping their poetential in the weightroom etc.. can only help.

I see this off season being very high intensity with the urgency that the coaching staff will feel.

Last year, 2,439 kids signed LOI's to play for FBS schools (not counting the 3 service academies).

There were only 50 5-star kids, and 250 4-star kids, or roughly 12%.

There were 1033 3-star kids, or 42%

46% of the recruits were 2-stars.

Everybody gets 2 stars just for showing up, and signing with an FBS team.
I'm not disagreeing with you X. Some of those 2 stars don't even deserve a 2 star ranking. Yet another flaw in the system, they just hand out stars.

Everybody gets 2 stars just for showing up, and signing with an FBS team.
Actually, I think a prospect receives 2 stars by simply verballing (is that a word) to an FBS program.

Appreciate this. We really need an OL thread. I forgot about Curtis, lost track of Hickey's eligibility, and wondering about Phillips who I thought did well last year spelling Hay.

Last year, 2,439 kids signed LOI's to play for FBS schools (not counting the 3 service academies).

There were only 50 5-star kids, and 250 4-star kids, or roughly 12%.

There were 1033 3-star kids, or 42%

46% of the recruits were 2-stars.

Nice post and thats why the star system is at least somewhat flawed. Whether there are 37 5* kids or 107 5* kids, there will 50 named regardless. Same with 4*, Could only be 180 really deserving or 380 but only 250 will get that grade. 2* with a number ranking beside them means they've at least been seen. 2* NR pretty much means the recruiting site knows they exsist but haven't seen anything beyond that.

b, what is your opinion of Macky? Is he a legitimate d1 center
I think Macky would flourish for any team in a spread offense. I think he's legitimate D-1 in that regard. For our offense? I think he can be above average, but that would be his ceiling. As I have said numerous times this year, he is not the main problem.

I think Macky would flourish for any team in a spread offense. I think he's legitimate D-1 in that regard. For our offense? I think he can be above average, but that would be his ceiling. As I have said numerous times this year, he is not the main problem.
Im sorry but i dont agree with you at all. Mack has limited what we can do. In addition he has had to have help either in max protect or shading. Lets hope he bulks up and adds strength.

Do they see Eskridge as more of SS or FS? I think him and Shamarko are starters, i'm just not sure which at which.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom