Red MUST win a National Championship | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Red MUST win a National Championship

Way too many fans like moral victories. Winning a title is a binary outcome. We could have lost to Michigan by 1 or by 30 and the result is the same, we lost and we didn’t win a title.

Seems many fans on this board are okay with never winning another title. They’re okay with Nova, UNC, KU, and UConn winning titles multiple times. I want Syracuse to win another title. If Red doesn’t have the team back to an elite level where they are putting a team on the floor that is capable of winning a title then he’s not the right guy.

We’re all about to watch Hurley win a title after 5 years at UConn, yet many here are getting their panties twisted stating he needs (must) win a title within 7 or 8 years.

I’m hopeful Red will do it. I look forward to having Syracuse return to an elite stage. I hope fans are comfortable when we win another title. Seems many here don’t even want to set lofty goals. Low expectations equal low standards.
He wasn't arguing that losing close is better than losing by 30, he was pointing out that your asinine take that the team was "overmatched" was just plain false.

North Carolina State won two titles between 1974 and 1983. They haven’t been back to the final four once in the 40 years since despite being a basketball school and putting a number of resources towards that. Whatever voodoo UConn has conjured up has some people thinking that winning this tournament is easy.
I don’t think fans on this board are okay with Syracuse never winning another title. Most of us are just old enough to have watched how next to impossible it is for teams not named UConn to win this thing
Can you imagine how hard it is to be a Purdue fan? They haven’t been to the Final Four since 1980! They regularly competed for and won Big 10 titles under Keady in the 1980s and 90s but could never get over the hump in the tourney. And Painter has them in the top 25 every season now, and the farthest they’ve made it is the Elite Eight. Then there’s Kentucky! All those top recruiting classes and one title to show for it under Cal. I believe Syracuse will be back competing for conference titles and top 5 tourney seeds soon and to the Final Four within a few years, but you’re so right, UConn has seriously conjured up some voodoo to get four titles, let alone five.

Last edited:
I literally stated in my OP “Watching UConn about to luck into another title is absolutely unacceptable.” So I clearly stated luck is part of it.

While I would gladly take another title based on luck, I know it’s not something to rely upon. Building elite teams minimizes the need for luck. It seems many here want to rely on luck to get another title. Is every team that wins a title the luckiest team that year? Or do we have years where one of the best teams (top 10) wins? Which is more common?
UConn has been a 4 seed or better twice in 14 years. One time they won the title they were a 7 seed.

We were a 4 seed or better 6 years in a town from 09-14 and didn’t make it to one title game.

What they’ve done is ridiculous. It will never happen again. They’ve been good, but they are by FAR the luckiest basketball program in history.

What can I personally do to prevent UConn from winning another title besides complaining on this board? Frame Dan Hurley for murder? Fine I'll do it.
You've got an angle: he killed the enthusiasm man of us might have had for this game.

You've got an angle: he killed the enthusiasm man of us might have had for this game.

He murdered my soul by tanking mid season and turning it on at the perfect time.

Just kidding. I never had a soul.

He wasn't arguing that losing close is better than losing by 30, he was pointing out that your asinine take that the team was "overmatched" was just plain false.
Subjective argument. We trailed by 8 to 11 for most of the game. Michigan was in control for the majority of the game. It’s my opinion on how the game played out.

Subjective argument. We trailed by 8 to 11 for most of the game. Michigan was in control for the majority of the game. It’s my opinion on how the game played out.
While true, we also made a comeback and had a chance to win. Michigan left the door open by missing FT’s, we got a couple big hoops, and very nearly forced a TO when down 1 that very well have swung the game to us. If Triche doesn’t get hosed on a charge call, we very well may have tied the game.

We were 1 play away from tying or taking the lead, multiple times in the last minute. We did more than make it respectable, we made it so it was anyone’s game.

Syracuse trailed Virginia by 16 at halftime in ‘16, by 18 at a point during the second half and they won. Were they over matched?
Extremely. That UVA team was WAY better than us, we just caught them on the right day. 2013 Michigan was marginally better than 2013 Syracuse at most -- they were a couple point favorite if I remember correctly.

We started cutting into the lead halfway through the second half when JB put Triche at the point. MCW had a rough game. We were within striking distance most of the second half.

Extremely. That UVA team was WAY better than us, we just caught them on the right day. 2013 Michigan was marginally better than 2013 Syracuse at most -- they were a couple point favorite if I remember correctly.

Cuse +2

We started cutting into the lead halfway through the second half when JB put Triche at the point. MCW had a rough game. We were within striking distance most of the second half.
Our best player (MCW) and best shooter/most experienced player(Southerland) both had bad games and we still almost won.

James shoots it like normal and we win. MCW plays like normal and we win.

Overmatched is ridiculous. Both teams were big, athletic, and good.

For what it’s worth, we were tied at half vs Ohio State. They jumped out to a ten point lead after that, but we narrowed it to 1-2 pts halfway through the second half. Triche even had a shot to take the lead.
I was hammered during that game and never went back to rewatch it. Refs called everything against us.

Guys, I don't like UCONN any more than you do but got to tip your hat to them and hurley for assembling a great team--they have all the parts and are very deserving this year. I think they move into current blue blood territory with tonight's win--nobody has been better the last 20 years at winning the big one. Sometimes you have to tip your hat and move on. Now let me go throw-up. :)

Guys, I don't like UCONN any more than you do but got to tip your hat to them and hurley for assembling a great team--they have all the parts and are very deserving this year. I think they move into current blue blood territory with tonight's win--nobody has been better the last 20 years at winning the big one. Sometimes you have to tip your hat and move on. Now let me go throw-up. :)

Way too many fans like moral victories. Winning a title is a binary outcome. We could have lost to Michigan by 1 or by 30 and the result is the same, we lost and we didn’t win a title.

Seems many fans on this board are okay with never winning another title. They’re okay with Nova, UNC, KU, and UConn winning titles multiple times. I want Syracuse to win another title. If Red doesn’t have the team back to an elite level where they are putting a team on the floor that is capable of winning a title then he’s not the right guy.

We’re all about to watch Hurley win a title after 5 years at UConn, yet many here are getting their panties twisted stating he needs (must) win a title within 7 or 8 years.

I’m hopeful Red will do it. I look forward to having Syracuse return to an elite stage. I hope fans are comfortable when we win another title. Seems many here don’t even want to set lofty goals. Low expectations equal low standards.

What is an 'immoral victory'? It's a ridiculous term. Losing by 30 rather than 1 is never "the same".

You want two things out of any game: to win and to have a sense of optimism about future victories. If you won but looked bad doing it, you will lack that sense of optimism. If you lose but performed well against a good opponent, you won't have the win but you can still have a sense of optimism. That's what people call a 'moral victory', although it has nothing to do with morality. If it's the last game of the season, you can be impressed with how much was accomplished and feel optimistic about the next year. That doesn't happen when you lose by 30.

If you say so, I saw a team that played ~average, another team below their average and yet the team playing below average won.

If you say so, I saw a team that played ~average, another team below their average and yet the team playing below average won.
UVA was a clear favorite. I think we were more talented than the typical 10 seed that year though. We had the rough stretch without Boeheim, and then lost a ton of heartbreakers at the end of the year. I think we had 5 seed type talent if things had broken right for us.

It goes both ways though. We were certainly better than Richmond, Vermont, Butler, etc. But that's the NCAA Tournament -- anything can happen in 40 minutes. It's a simultaneously bad but very entertaining way to determine a champion.

I was hammered during that game and never went back to rewatch it. Refs called everything against us.
I wish I had the foresight to be hammered

Last edited:
It goes both ways though. We were certainly better than Richmond, Vermont, Butler, etc. But that's the NCAA Tournament -- anything can happen in 40 minutes. It's a simultaneously bad but very entertaining way to determine a champion.
I just think it’s hard to be “outclassed” when you win

That’s my motto “set that bar on the bottom notch and cruise through life”

Tournament luck has always been part of it. This UConn team is VERY good. They looked like the best team in the country before they hit a rough patch mid season. This isn’t a fluke like the 2014 team that just caught fire the last 3 weeks.

Yeah their 2014 run is way more annoying than this year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom