Red MUST win a National Championship | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Red MUST win a National Championship

The goal of any high major program should always be to compete for a NC and to recruit accordingly. And water is wet.

To title the thread with the word "MUST" was the first clue that there wouldn't be much room for rational debate. Lucking into a national championship was the second. And yet here we are 153 posts in...

Red absolutely must do whatever it takes to win a National Championship within the next 7 to 8 years (ideally sooner). Program nearly died under Boeheim over the past decade. The standard must be National Championships and do whatever it takes to get it done. Watching UConn about to luck into another title is absolutely unacceptable.

Syracuse has to have a gut check and make the decision on what standard they want. It’s titles or bust.

SHOT.

They are far from the best team in college basketball this year.

CHASER.

It is beyond just risky into the realm of stupidity that may be flirting with a desire to prove that the program is so superior (hubris) that it cannot be brought down for Brand Names to hire unproven alums to replace Legend HCs. When 2 or 3 such programs in a league do it, the league could be looking at a downturn.

Why does Red only get 7-8 years to win a national championship?
It took Boehenim 27.

Coach K is pretty widely regarded as the best men’s college basketball coach of the last 50 years. He “only” averaged 1 title every 8+ years. To expect the same from the new coach is insane. It’s frankly unfair to Coach Autry.

1 or 2 other posters have said it well. The last 5 years of the program have been a big disappointment. The goal over the next few years SHOULD be for Syracuse to become a threat in the ACC (consistently finishing in the top 3-5). If they do that, good seeding and deep tournament runs will naturally happen. And then hopefully a title comes to fruition.

Or if Tim Hardaway doesn’t make a great save of a bad pass that was heading out of bounds when we were trapping near half court, after we cut it to 1.
Ugh I totally forgot about that play. I tried to suppress that memory.

The Michigan FF game was a more disappointing loss than the year before against Ohio State and the officiating was almost as bad. We had a legit chance to win in 2013 against a team we had already beat.

We were toast without Fab in 2012 with AD in front of us and we never got within striking distance of Ohio State in 2012 at all.

For what it’s worth, we were tied at half vs Ohio State. They jumped out to a ten point lead after that, but we narrowed it to 1-2 pts halfway through the second half. Triche even had a shot to take the lead.

Okay. You said we made it respectable at the end. We were down only 2 with the ball with 19 seconds left. To say we made it respectable at the end is just wrong. And you know that. And you want to make a distinction between outclassed and over matched?
Way too many fans like moral victories. Winning a title is a binary outcome. We could have lost to Michigan by 1 or by 30 and the result is the same, we lost and we didn’t win a title.

Seems many fans on this board are okay with never winning another title. They’re okay with Nova, UNC, KU, and UConn winning titles multiple times. I want Syracuse to win another title. If Red doesn’t have the team back to an elite level where they are putting a team on the floor that is capable of winning a title then he’s not the right guy.

We’re all about to watch Hurley win a title after 5 years at UConn, yet many here are getting their panties twisted stating he needs (must) win a title within 7 or 8 years.

I’m hopeful Red will do it. I look forward to having Syracuse return to an elite stage. I hope fans are comfortable when we win another title. Seems many here don’t even want to set lofty goals. Low expectations equal low standards.

For what it’s worth, we were tied at half vs Ohio State. They jumped out to a ten point lead after that, but we narrowed it to 1-2 pts halfway through the second half. Triche even had a shot to take the lead.
I think it's because I remember not being able to stop them in the second half. Higgins set the tone early in that one overturning which should have been a Triche and one into a charge. I think this was pre circle days, but I recall the guy being right underneath the basket.

Way too many fans like moral victories. Winning a title is a binary outcome. We could have lost to Michigan by 1 or by 30 and the result is the same, we lost and we didn’t win a title.

Seems many fans on this board are okay with never winning another title. They’re okay with Nova, UNC, KU, and UConn winning titles multiple times. I want Syracuse to win another title. If Red doesn’t have the team back to an elite level where they are putting a team on the floor that is capable of winning a title then he’s not the right guy.

We’re all about to watch Hurley win a title after 5 years at UConn, yet many here are getting their panties twisted stating he needs (must) win a title within 7 or 8 years.

I’m hopeful Red will do it. I look forward to having Syracuse return to an elite stage. I hope fans are comfortable when we win another title. Seems many here don’t even want to set lofty goals. Low expectations equal low standards.
Everyone here wants to win another title, but to act like there isn't some luck involve is pretty ridiculous to me and a ridiculous standard to hold a coach too. It does not mean because we didn't win with some good teams in the past that they were not good enough.

Fortunately for UConn they are 9-1 in FF games going into tonight.

Syracuse is 4-5.

That is the difference in the 2 programs.

Nobodies pushing back on you because we like moral victories or because we like UConn winning multiple titles to our one. We’re pushing back because you said this

they were overmatched vs Michigan and wouldn’t have beat a loaded Lville.

One of those is unknowable (we beat them at their place!) and the the other is just wrong.

North Carolina State won two titles between 1974 and 1983. They haven’t been back to the final four once in the 40 years since despite being a basketball school and putting a number of resources towards that. Whatever voodoo UConn has conjured up has some people thinking that winning this tournament is easy.
I don’t think fans on this board are okay with Syracuse never winning another title. Most of us are just old enough to have watched how next to impossible it is for teams not named UConn to win this thing

We’ve lost key recruits to UConn over the past 4 years since Hurley took over, most notably Andre Jackson. Hurley was hired by UConn and recruited him hard, grabbing him from us (who were the favorite for a while). He stated one of the reasons he went to UConn was because Hurley as the head coach recruited him and it meant a lot to him. JB’s lack of recruiting effort over the past decade really made a difference and was the most significant factor leading to our decline.
if you watched the Will to Win documentary they talked about the recruitment of Melo, Troy had to drag JB to see Melo play and in the video they said even back then in early 2000s JB did not travel much for recruiting during the season.

North Carolina State won two titles between 1974 and 1983. They haven’t been back to the final four once in the 40 years since despite being a basketball school and putting a number of resources towards that. Whatever voodoo UConn has conjured up has some people thinking that winning this tournament is easy.
I don’t think fans on this board are okay with Syracuse never winning another title. Most of us are just old enough to have watched how next to impossible it is for teams not named UConn to win this thing
The frustrating thing is UConn had not even won a tournament game since their last title until this season. Syracuse has won 9 in that period.

In the last 14 years UConn will be approaching their 3rd title tonight with 3 different coaches. They have not got out of the first weekend any other tournament in 4 other appearances(2-4 in rounds one and two). They are the ultimate boom or bust program.

The frustrating thing is UConn had not even won a tournament game since their last title until this season. Syracuse has won 9 in that period.

In the last 14 years UConn will be approaching their 3rd title tonight with 3 different coaches. They have not got out of the first weekend any other tournament in 4 other appearances(2-4 in rounds one and two). They are the ultimate boom or bust program.
And their last 7 final four games including tonight will have been played against two 8 seeds, two 5 seeds, two four seeds, and a 1 seed. They’re boom or bust but when they boom the seas part ahead of them

Everyone here wants to win another title, but to act like there isn't some luck involve is pretty ridiculous to me and a ridiculous standard to hold a coach too. It does not mean because we didn't win with some good teams in the past that they were not good enough.

Syracuse is 4-5.

Uconn took the hardest path imaginable in 2014 and somehow beat every good team in the field. It crushed me watching them do that after the way our season started and how close we were in 2013.

This year they got an easy road.

We've had our share of easy games I mean we almost got a Sweet 16/Elite 8 run of Rutgers and Oregon State 2 years ago.

The ACC is bad Red should make the Dance 4/5 of the next seasons won't comment on seeding or opponents.

Uconn took the hardest path imaginable in 2014 and somehow beat every good team in the field. It crushed me watching them do that after the way our season started and how close we were in 2013.

We've had our share of easy games I mean we almost got a Sweet 16/Elite 8 run of Rutgers and Oregon State 2 years ago.

The ACC is bad Red should make the Dance 4/5 of the next seasons won't comment on seeding or opponents.
They did get 8 seed UK in the title game that season. It wasn’t a very pretty game.

In the final 4 losses, title game losses and title game win: Indiana, the best Kentucky team ever, Kansas, Michigan, UNC.

We’ve never had the fortune to run into a mid major or a crappy 8 seed that deep into the tournament.

In the final 4 losses, title game losses and title game win: Indiana, the best Kentucky team ever, Kansas, Michigan, UNC.

We’ve never had the fortune to run into a mid major or a crappy 8 seed that deep into the tournament.

Last 2 appearances we lost to the best team in the field. And yup 1996 possibly the best college team ever was waiting for us in the final.

Michigan and UNC should have won those years both blew it in the final. UNC hasn't come close to having a team that good despite never having guys leave early. Everyone on the Michigan team got a serious look from the NBA apart from Albrecht. 5 first round picks + Glenn Robinson.

Even as a 10 seed I think we are beating Oklahoma and Villanova in 2016 and were the second best team of the four. No clue what happens in a 2013 title game vs Ville considering the choke job at MSG a couple weeks earlier but we could have beat them by 30 for all you know.

Every team who wins “deserves it.” If UConn didn’t deserve it in 2014 who did? F@@$ all one-loss Florida had to do was beat a seven and eight seed in the Fonal Four.

Like I said before you can only play who’s in front of you.

And luck is a cruel mistress…
That’s true, it’s a 6 game gauntlet and many NC caliber teams will either have a bad night or run into a team playing out of their minds. The NCAA tournament doesn’t find the best team in college basketball every year . But the champion deserves it .

Syracuse is 4-5.

I literally stated in my OP “Watching UConn about to luck into another title is absolutely unacceptable.” So I clearly stated luck is part of it.

While I would gladly take another title based on luck, I know it’s not something to rely upon. Building elite teams minimizes the need for luck. It seems many here want to rely on luck to get another title. Is every team that wins a title the luckiest team that year? Or do we have years where one of the best teams (top 10) wins? Which is more common?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom