Red MUST win a National Championship | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Red MUST win a National Championship

Red absolutely must do whatever it takes to win a National Championship within the next 7 to 8 years (ideally sooner). Program nearly died under Boeheim over the past decade. The standard must be National Championships and do whatever it takes to get it done. Watching UConn about to luck into another title is absolutely unacceptable.

Syracuse has to have a gut check and make the decision on what standard they want. It’s titles or bust.
Luck into?? They’re good. We are not. We need to worry about our own house first.

44cuse

Let's face it, if Kansas goes 16 for 30 from the line, we don't win the natty we've got. They went 12 for 30. Get good every year and things are more likely to break your way. Go 19-14 every year for 9 years and they won't.
Cmon. If we make free throws in 87 we win that one. The ‘if’s’ and ‘buts’ arguments can go both ways.

Let's face it, if Kansas goes 16 for 30 from the line, we don't win the natty we've got. They went 12 for 30. Get good every year and things are more likely to break your way. Go 19-14 every year for 9 years and they won't.
Not sure I agree with this. Might want to check how many offensive rebounds they got off their missed free throws.

Last edited:
We need to establish some live stream debates and have them pay per view….all money to NIL. Seriously….I would pay to watch people argue and get shredded on some of their takes on this board. Bored Historian would be my choice to moderate.

UConn winning 5 since 99 is mind blowing in this day and age of college basketball. I don’t give a crap about the path….they have 5 frickin rings and that is so impressive. Add in their women’s titles and you have a juggernaut.

yeah I am jealous but I am not gonna down play any of it.

We need to establish some live stream debates and have them pay per view….all money to NIL. Seriously….I would pay to watch people argue and get shredded on some of their takes on this board. Bored Historian would be my choice to moderate.

UConn winning 5 since 99 is mind blowing in this day and age of college basketball. I don’t give a crap about the path….they have 5 frickin rings and that is so impressive. Add in their women’s titles and you have a juggernaut.

yeah I am jealous but I am not gonna down play any of it.
This year’s UConn team is really good and has been dominant. They deserved to win. But they did not face any top 4 seeds. Would they have been able to beat Kansas, Houston, Texas, Alabama, even Duke, if they had run into a couple of them? Maybe. But they weren’t tested by iron. Plus with two of their titles (2011 and 2014), they got extremely lucky. 2014 is still a total joke. Our 1987 team was very unlucky in that championship game. And we were unlucky in 1989 (Illinois), 2010 (Arinze), 2012 (Fab) and 2013 (Michigan). Even 1995 with the Arkansas game (could have at least been a Final Four team). If the ball bounces a few different ways in 1996, we pull off one of the biggest championship game upsets of all time.

This year’s UConn team is really good and has been dominant. They deserved to win. But they did not face any top 4 seeds. Would they have been able to beat Kansas, Houston, Texas, Alabama, even Duke, if they had run into a couple of them? Maybe. But they weren’t tested by iron. Plus with two of their titles (2011 and 2014), they got extremely lucky. 2014 is still a total joke. Our 1987 team was very unlucky in that championship game. And we were unlucky in 1989 (Illinois), 2010 (Arinze), 2012 (Fab) and 2013 (Michigan). Even 1995 with the Arkansas game (could have at least been a Final Four team). If the ball bounces a few different ways in 1996, we pull off one of the biggest championship game upsets of all time.

They get to claim 5 titles. After that it's a debate at the bar and on message boards. We add a couple more and then we can fire off more rounds into their lucky runs.

Not sure I agree with this. Might want to check how many offensive rebounds they got off their missed free throws.

You can check that. And yes, if we make our frees in '87, we win. My point is that you win a national championship by being good every year to maximize the chances that things will break your way. We've had several teams I thought were as good as our 2003 team but they didn't win it. The program won it by producing all those teams.

Was it luck in 1987 when we got to play Providence instead of Georgetown?

We were lucky in 1996 when
We played Drexel instead of Memphis
Georgia instead of Purdue
Mississippi St instead of Cinci (or UConn)

Were were lucky in 2003 when Bogans hurt his ankle and Marquette smoked Kentucky, or when we got to play Auburn instead of Wake Forest (to say nothing of Albany)?

Why were we unlucky to play Michigan instead of Kansas? Was it luck that we got Cal instead of UNLV? Was it good luck that we played a team in the Sweet 16 that year completely unprepared for our zone? Was it bad luck that we played Marquette in the next game because they beat us earlier in the year or was it good luck because we beat them?

Was it good luck that we got to play MTSU instead of MSU or Gonzaga instead of Utah in 2016?

The 2014 UConn team played the 2,3, and 4 seeds in their region and then the top team in the whole bracket.

Im just so sick of parsing “luck.” They have five titles and we don’t.

Last edited:
He needs to win it next year or we can call him a bust. There, I said it!
Go Crazy Wtf GIF

i'd say Red gets 3 yrs to break into the top of conference. (talking a tourney top 4) or we made the wrong hire. move on on hire a real coach.

Reds not a real coach?
what's his record ? he was an assistant .he was an associate. but again i'll say this. not every successful college coach was an undrafted guard who played at syracuse. there is a much larger pool of proven winners who we might have fished from. this may still be in some eyes a marquis job. but not for much longer given current trajectory. instead we chose to stay in house.
so is he a real coach ? yes. and totally unproven at this level. 3 years.

Last edited:
what's his record ? he was an assistant .he was an associate. but again i'll say this. not every successful college coach was an undrafted guard who played at syracuse. there is a much larger pool of proven winners who we might have fished from. this may still be in some eyes a marquis job. but not for much longer given current trajectory. instead we chose to stay in house.
so is he a real coach ? yes. and totally unproven at this level. 3 years.
One would have thought, from your previous posts, that with JB gone you would be optimistic for a while...

Red absolutely must do whatever it takes to win a National Championship within the next 7 to 8 years (ideally sooner). Program nearly died under Boeheim over the past decade. The standard must be National Championships and do whatever it takes to get it done. Watching UConn about to luck into another title is absolutely unacceptable.

Syracuse has to have a gut check and make the decision on what standard they want. It’s titles or bust.
Let's start with qualifying for the tourney.

Regular Sweet 16 appearances are what any program needs to be 'relevant', IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom