Red Presser 10AM Fri | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Red Presser 10AM Fri

99AF5196-6435-4E2A-9961-9A0231F72765.jpeg

Sometimes when someone's entire existence happens in one place, it limits their growth because they're not exposed to as great a variety of learning experiences as possible.

I believe Gerry is facing that at Syracuse. His growth is limited. I'm not talking about job titles. I'm talking about range of experience.

And also, there's a certain point in a professional's career where they need to prove that they have value outside of what they know. I believe Gerry is beyond that point here.

I don't think Syracuse basketball fans have a great concept of this because our primary example of staying home is an extreme, historically unprecedented outlier when it comes to best case, most successful scenario.

Which ironically also sets an unfair standard for Gerry.

You could argue this was Hops reality too when you look at how things went at UW. Probably needed a smaller step earlier on..

Sometimes when someone's entire existence happens in one place, it limits their growth because they're not exposed to as great a variety of learning experiences as possible.

I believe Gerry is facing that at Syracuse. His growth is limited. I'm not talking about job titles. I'm talking about range of experience.

And also, there's a certain point in a professional's career where they need to prove that they have value outside of what they know. I believe Gerry is beyond that point here.

I don't think Syracuse basketball fans have a great concept of this because our primary example of staying home is an extreme, historically unprecedented outlier when it comes to best case, most successful scenario.

Which ironically also sets an unfair standard for Gerry.
I understand your point, but maybe Gerry doesn't want to do that. By your logic it seems that anyone in a long time position is limiting their growth when perhaps they are content where they are.

There was another way. Syr.com could’ve chosen not to go with the picture they did.
I get what you’re saying but the real story here is JB retiring or no longer coaching. The Red articles will come going forward. I know people are conditioned to hate the media but in this case, with how it played out, the average person is interested far more in JB’s retirement than who the new coach is. Probably not fair to Red, but is what it is.

I understand your point, but maybe Gerry doesn't want to do that. By your logic it seems that anyone in a long time position is limiting their growth when perhaps they are content where they are.
He could be fine being a Syracuse Assistant. It's a pretty good gig. He and Griff get paid well. JB made sure all his guys were taken care of.

It's not like he lives a very lavish lifestyle. He has a fairly standard middle class house in Jamesville.

As good of a school district as it is, I sincerely hope that Gerry does not make life changing career decisions based on the Jamesville-Dewitt School District. There are great schools/districts all over the country. I'm sure he could find something just as good elsewhere.

Actually, there are a lot of average to poor school districts all over the country... One thing NY state generally has going for it is a lot of good school districts, since SUNY has so many teacher's colleges.

It's not the worst thing, but I'm not a huge fan of keeping Gerry around. A big challenge of coaching, whether it's the HC doing it or an assistant, is being able to connect with players and relate to them, and in my opinion GMac doesn't have enough life experience outside of the Syracuse bubble to relate to today's players. The results in terms of who he's helped bring in certainly aren't very inspiring. Cooney and Girard developed more than most people give them credit for, but there's also a reason why we had to patch things through with Gbinije/White/Gillon/Griffin, even if you want to give him credit for bringing those guys in too.

Last edited:
Yes that's actually exactly what I'm saying.

It's not the worst thing, but I'm not a huge fan of keeping Gerry around. A big challenge of coaching, whether it's the HC doing it or an assistant, is being able to connect with players and relate to them, and in my opinion GMac doesn't have enough life experience outside of the Syracuse bubble to relate to today's players. The results in terms of who he's helped bring in certainly aren't very inspiring. Cooney and Girard developed more than most people give them credit for, but there's also a reason why we had to patch things through with Gbinije/White/Gillon/Griffin, even if you want to give him credit for bringing those guys in too.
So you want Gerry fired? I don't get the life experience thing. I would say Gerry has a hell of a lot of life experience. National Championship, multiple Big East Championships, BYU NCAA game, the Garden run, along with all the other clutch performances. I can't imagine relating to our players would be much different to other players "Outside the Syracuse bubble."

Last edited:
So you want Gerry fired? I don't get the life experience thing. I would say Gerry has a hell of a lot of life experience. National Championship, multiple Big East Championships, BYU NCAA game, the Garden run, along with all the other clutch performances. I can't imagine relating to our players would be much different to other players "Outside the Syracuse bubble."
You're indexing on the person and not on the concept.

Agreed. What a person lacks in life experience in one area can be more than compensated by life experience in another. If he does his job he'll be just fine regardless of where he's from or what he's done.

Grit and effort can make up for pretty much any shortcomings.

It's going to be really fun potentially to see what sort of access Mike and Donna get from Red moving forward. I could see Red with a more collaborative approach which could be really fun as a fan for recruiting content, portal, practice access maybe or whatever.

You're indexing on the person and not on the concept.
I think I understand the concept of branching out and seeking new horizons and seeing the world so to speak. I don't disagree with it, but the subject of your post was Gerry. I'll let it go for now. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom