Referee getting beat up for a bad call | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Referee getting beat up for a bad call

I just don't agree with that. I never heard of a youth sports ref getting beat up prior to the last decade or so.
Is that because it never happened, or because we didn't have the technology to record it and then share it with every human on Earth who has a computer in their hands instantaneously? The idea that humans are becoming less civil (when crime is much lower now than it was in say the 70s or 80s) seems like a stretch to me.

Bill Smith during a Syracuse/West Virginia game in the 1970s physically attacked a ref. But it was just a blurb in a local newspaper that was forgotten about. If that happens today, it would be the biggest sports story in America for a few days in the 24/7 news cycle.

Is that because it never happened, or because we didn't have the technology to record it and then share it with every human on Earth who has a computer in their hands instantaneously? The idea that humans are becoming less civil (when crime is much lower now than it was in say the 70s or 80s) seems like a stretch to me.

Bill Smith during a Syracuse/West Virginia game in the 1970s physically attacked a ref. But it was just a blurb in a local newspaper that was forgotten about. If that happens today, it would be the biggest sports story in America for a few days in the 24/7 news cycle.
I don't think it happened. I'm not just talking about youth sports. 20 years ago I never gave it a second thought to go to Carousel Mall for a late night movie, now you don't dare go there after dark. Prior to Columbine how many school shootings were there? Now we practically shrug our shoulders when we hear about an active shooter on a school or college campus. Were there a bunch that just never got reported before? I don't think so.

I don't think it happened. I'm not just talking about youth sports. 20 years ago I never gave it a second thought to go to Carousel Mall for a late night movie, now you don't dare go there after dark. Prior to Columbine how many school shootings were there? Now we practically shrug our shoulders when we hear about an active shooter on a school or college campus. Were there a bunch that just never got reported before? I don't think so.
You're correct that mass shootings specifically are up, but crime on the whole is significantly down from a generation ago. Anyway, I'll leave it alone. I don't want to give the mods anxiety that this isn't basketball talk.

I was trying to make you feel better that society isn't as bad as social media makes it seem. ;)

Screenshot 2024-06-15 210213.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom