Regardless of the Scanlan situation its time for a change at the Top | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Regardless of the Scanlan situation its time for a change at the Top

I’d like to see Sheehan get a shot to prove he can do it at the D1 level. And I know I got blasted for it a few weeks ago but Beardsley should get at least a look. The dude is a motivator and he LOVES Syracuse lacrosse. Also, Galloway?

I've said it before in other threads - I want no part of someone who has not been involved in the NCAA men's game for, well, forever.

And I love GG and all he's done for SU WLax.

Edit: and all he did for SU MLax, putting us on the map as a player.
Odd pretty sure he is good enough to coach on Team Canada. So your theory that he hasn’t coached men in forever is total BS

Also, Galloway?
I would assume, if the AD pulls the trigger (which I don't think he will, at least after this year), John will get an interview if he wants one.

30-46 in his time at Jacksonville, but 24-25 in his last 4 years. Certainly not stellar numbers, but it can't be the easiest thing in the world to recruit Jacksonville lax.
1620079098473.gif

Odd pretty sure he is good enough to coach on Team Canada. So your theory that he hasn’t coached men in forever is total BS
Oh, is Team Canada in the NCAA? Reading comprehension. It's a good thing.

You need to settle down with your posts and takes here.

Why and don’t say it if your going to be cryptic

He's been the womens coach at SU for 15 years, SU isn't hiring him to take over the Mens team at this point, he's been out of the Mens game for to long. It's like asking why Uconn wont hire Auriemma to be the Mens coach. If he wanted to transition back he would have to start at a non Power program, and work his way back up.

I'm a grumpy old man who hates change (well, actually I'm a grumpy middle-aged man).

It's bad enough that I'll have to learn the names of an entirely new football coaching staff next year, and I'll have to learn the names of a brand new basketball coaching staff in a few more years.

Now you want me to remember new LAX coaches too?

Is there no end to your cruelty?
I get that this is a tongue-in-cheek joke, but no offense, this is the problem with our fanbase. They are terrified of change. In both Lax and Basketball. Look, maybe it won't work out with the next staff, but you have to try. All good things come to an end and Desko's time has come (IMO so has Boeheim's who should've been gone after he put the program on probation for a second time).

I’d like to see Sheehan get a shot to prove he can do it at the D1 level. And I know I got blasted for it a few weeks ago but Beardsley should get at least a look. The dude is a motivator and he LOVES Syracuse lacrosse. Also, Galloway?

Sheehan may get a look at the D1 level, but it wont be at a school like SU, way to far of a jump. Colgate would be a possibility.

Beardsley's only getting into the Dome to coach if CBA plays a game there, zero chance SU is hiring him.

Galloway has come a long way but he's not in the position to take over at SU. Alumni or not he doesn't have the resume at this point.

Sheehan may get a look at the D1 level, but it wont be at a school like SU, way to far of a jump. Colgate would be a possibility.

Beardsley's only getting into the Dome to coach if CBA plays a game there, zero chance SU is hiring him.

Galloway has come a long way but he's not in the position to take over at SU. Alumni or not he doesn't have the resume at this point.
To your last point, and as I said above, I think he gets an interview if he wants it (if there is a job opening available).

Once you're in the room, you never know. :)

He's been the womens coach at SU for 15 years, SU isn't hiring him to take over the Mens team at this point, he's been out of the Mens game for to long. It's like asking why Uconn wont hire Auriemma to be the Mens coach. If he wanted to transition back he would have to start at a non Power program, and work his way back up.
Completely disagree this is a non revenue sport the comparison to basketball is a bad one. Gary is a proven leader who would attract top level assistant coaches Leadership is leadership regardless of gender

Completely disagree this is a non revenue sport the comparison to basketball is a bad one. Gary is a proven leader who would attract top level assistant coaches Leadership is leadership regardless of gender

Your certainly welcome to disagree but I can tell you 100% he won't be a candidate for the job.

Oh you have told me plenty I mean you speak in absolute’s to where you don’t have opinions but instead facts and the only person I know of who can say Gary Gait is 100 percent not a canidate is Wildhack or God so I’m playing the odds that your not god. If you can't see why Gait won't be a realistic candidate less an option to be the HC at SU I don't know what to tell you.

No, but if you try to type "Panarelli" you get an electric shock.
Just testing to see if this holds true when I type Pat “Patty Competition” Perritt.

Edit: no electric shock

Oh you have told me plenty I mean you speak in absolute’s to where you don’t have opinions but instead facts and the only person I know of who can say Gary Gait is 100 percent not a canidate is Wildhack or God so I’m playing the odds that your not god. If you can't see why Gait won't be a realistic candidate less an option to be the HC at SU I don't know what to tell you.

Nearly anyone who posts here is posting their opinion me included. Some of have inside information but even that can change. Like any opinion(s) mine have been right on many occasions and also very wrong. This however, is not one of them. Gary Gait is not going to be the SU mens lacrosse coach and you don't have to be John Wildhack or god or Buddha or whoever to know that. You seem like a big Gary Gait fan which is great, I think we all are, let's enjoy him as the women's coach.

No actually I was 100 percent against him until this season now I think he’s about the only fit if your going to go with the nuclear option of firing Desko.

No actually I was 100 percent against him until this season now I think he’s about the only fit if your going to go with the nuclear option of firing Desko.

Letting Desko go after this year is far from a Nuclear option, that would be firing Danowski or Tillman for not winning a title this year.

I continue to think Shay is the way to go here for a number of different reasons ..and I do think he might be attainable right now ...

it’s going to be a long time before Yale gets another shot after the dismantling of the Ivy and mass exodus of players .

timing is everything and we should have a conversation with him. The program is the on right stage and primed with the future star studded class ...and he can walk in and set his system for that 2022 class ..

if the group stays together, and I think they will because Spallina is the glue that they revolve around , then Shay may get a few shots at another tile in the very near future . And the program gets potentially restored to prominence

I continue to think Shay is the way to go here for a number of different reasons ..and I do think he might be attainable right now ...

it’s going to be a long time before Yale gets another shot after the dismantling of the Ivy and mass exodus of players .

timing is everything and we should have a conversation with him. The program is the on right stage and primed with the future star studded class ...and he can walk in and set his system for that 2022 class ..

if the group stays together, and I think they will because Spallina is the glue that they revolve around , then Shay may get a few shots at another tile in the very near future . And the program gets potentially restored to prominence
Could it be a Bill Tierney type jump out of the ivies? That shocked me at the time but given the lack of support that Princeton was giving him on the recruiting trail and the new challenge heading west made sense.

I feel like Shay has enjoyed great support from alumni and the resources he needs to be successful. However a lot of that came when Tom Beckett was AD. The new Administration could be less involved and the end of the Ivy season could lead to him pursuing other opportunities.

Bonus he also coaches great defense and has since he was at UMass. This seems to be key to success. Wildhack should have him on his Rolodex

So who then? Realistically, who at that level can fill his shoes? REALISTICALLY, who?
Isn't the AD paid to come up with that list? I can't believe there aren't any good coaches out there who would take the SU job. Is that what you're saying? Because the issue will need to be addressed at some point as Desko can't coach forever.
To be clear, i'm not advocating for either side of this argument, just curious.

ik it’s been beaten to death but Casey or Ryan, Ik Ryan was a consideration a few times and Casey I believe has his company with Ryan.
But is there 100% no ability to sway them and bring them in?

I’m not a lax head like all you I just enjoy it way more throughly than I did in the past, but is it not viable to play this season out and then see where next season goes, and if fails do March, and bring in a D guy? If the season turns out to be good keep desktop and see where 2022 leads?

ik it’s been beaten to death but Casey or Ryan, Ik Ryan was a consideration a few times and Casey I believe has his company with Ryan.
But is there 100% no ability to sway them and bring them in?

I’m not a lax head like all you I just enjoy it way more throughly than I did in the past, but is it not viable to play this season out and then see where next season goes, and if fails do March, and bring in a D guy? If the season turns out to be good keep desktop and see where 2022 leads?

Casey tried coaching with Galloway his first year in Jax, it didn't work. Casey hasn't coached again from what I understand. Ryan isn't actively involved in trying to be a college coach either. Guys were legends on the field but you don't go from your couch to HC of a team like Syracuse, no matter how good of a player you were, just doesn't work like that.

If a change isn't made after this season, its unlikely the school will make a move next year assuming the 2022 class all stay committed and sign in October. At that point your better off just sticking with Desko and seeing what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom