Regardless of the Scanlan situation its time for a change at the Top | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Regardless of the Scanlan situation its time for a change at the Top

This is not to say that I think Desko should step down, but I want chime in on the list of potential replacements. I think there are probably a lot of lacrosse coaches out there who are very good coaches that we haven't heard of. Had any of us heard of Pat March before he was hired as OC? I hadn't heard of him.

I think it's really important to get the right guy as a head coach (obvious, I know), and getting that part right will help make getting good assistant coaches easier. Also, a great head coach will help the assistant coaches improve. Has Lelan Rogers improved as a coach? I'm not sure there's much evidence that he has improved. His first few years were hard to beat, so maybe that's unfair.

I really don't know much about John Galloway as a coach. It's possible he has the characteristics needed to be a great head coach.

How about Casey D'Onnolfo, the Tufts head coach? He's a Tufts grad.

As someone who knows Shay he would listen. However, taking it, two different things. Uprooting kids/family an issue? IDK. But people's aspirations and ambitions change over time and/or situations. Everyone who is called will listen. Complete myth there aren't guys out there worthy of the job (or good enough).

See Tambroni and Pressler are no longer the hot names mentioned these days.
btw, Duke and UVA fans think Desko out coaches Danowski and Tiffany in their games.

Be plenty of issues including potential changes to discuss afterward.

Still a game and hopefully a postseason to root for.

I read arguments for and against and I am swayed both ways. There is risk in both doing something and not doing anything. I know I am not saying anything profound, but I don't think people realize that things could get even worse than they are now. I think a big reason Syracuse did well recruiting that 2022 class was due to that undefeated, 5-0 season. Another year of losing by double digits and first round playoff exists isn't going to help anything and unless they bring in a massive transfer haul, I think next year will be worse than this.

IT, your point about contributors leaving this season if Desko is fired strikes me as significant and not something I had considered. It is a little ironic, a lot of what we have heard about this staff is that Desko can be aloof and maybe not as tight with the team as some other coaches out there who really try and be a friend to their players. I'm honestly not sure what to make of it. I don't know of many teams that made a switch at the top and had mass player movement, but this situation right now is very unique. Certainly something to consider.

That said, if Shay were available I think he is definitely worth the risk, and I agree with those who say now seems like the perfect opportunity to strike.

I do think, especially after rewatching some of the goals given up by the defense this weekend, the defensive coordinator really needs to be looked at. Rogers was a big reason why SU won titles back to back and for a long time he seemed like Desko's logical replacement. I remember being very anxious each offseason worried he would take a head coaching job. But man, things change in a hurry in the sports world. I feel even worse calling for a coordinator to be replaced than a head coach, but the things I've seen on tape are really ugly. I also have no idea where to look for a defensive coordinator, and you'd have to go outside the Syracuse family tree to find one. Not a lot of teams this season are known for their defense.

I read arguments for and against and I am swayed both ways. There is risk in both doing something and not doing anything. I know I am not saying anything profound, but I don't think people realize that things could get even worse than they are now. I think a big reason Syracuse did well recruiting that 2022 class was due to that undefeated, 5-0 season. Another year of losing by double digits and first round playoff exists isn't going to help anything and unless they bring in a massive transfer haul, I think next year will be worse than this.

IT, your point about contributors leaving this season if Desko is fired strikes me as significant and not something I had considered. It is a little ironic, a lot of what we have heard about this staff is that Desko can be aloof and maybe not as tight with the team as some other coaches out there who really try and be a friend to their players. I'm honestly not sure what to make of it. I don't know of many teams that made a switch at the top and had mass player movement, but this situation right now is very unique. Certainly something to consider.

That said, if Shay were available I think he is definitely worth the risk, and I agree with those who say now seems like the perfect opportunity to strike.

I do think, especially after rewatching some of the goals given up by the defense this weekend, the defensive coordinator really needs to be looked at. Rogers was a big reason why SU won titles back to back and for a long time he seemed like Desko's logical replacement. I remember being very anxious each offseason worried he would take a head coaching job. But man, things change in a hurry in the sports world. I feel even worse calling for a coordinator to be replaced than a head coach, but the things I've seen on tape are really ugly. I also have no idea where to look for a defensive coordinator, and you'd have to go outside the Syracuse family tree to find one. Not a lot of teams this season are known for their defense.
Teams playing good defense this season are Maryland, Notre Dame, Lehigh, Towson, Army, Loyola, UNC, and Duke to certain extent. I'm sure I am missing some, but there are a lot of teams playing very good defense. Add Georgetown and Denver to the list.

Teams playing good defense this season are Maryland, Notre Dame, Lehigh, Towson, Army, Loyola, UNC, and Duke to certain extent. I'm sure I am missing some, but there are a lot of teams playing very good defense. Add Georgetown and Denver to the list.
Charley Toomey seems to have overachieved for most years at Loyola - doesn't get the 5 stars (other than Spencer) but seems to get the most out of the solid players he has. Well respected.

Jesse Bernhardt at UMD is a name to look out for as far as defensive coaches. Young coach with prior stints at Rutgers and Princeton. He’ll probably be considered for head coaching opportunities in the near future if the Terps keep performing the way they do.

Towson is playing good defense? They gave up 20 to UVA and 19 to Duke in their two games against ACC opponents. Not sure anything would be different if they played Cuse, UNC, or ND

As for Rogers, I'll say this. Billy Dwan in the 2022 class is the son of long time defensive coach and very well respected, Bill Dwan of Johns Hopkins. Billy is one of the top defenders in the 2022 class. If Coach Dwan didnt believe in Coach Rogers and his defensive coaching, I VERY much doubt he would be sending his defender son to play for him in two years. I'll trust his judgement over most.

I attribute this years struggles to kids transferring or graduating (i.e. Fernandez, Mellon, Helmer) and injuries (too many to count). Other teams like ND added players like Thorton, where as Cuse lost key pieces to kids who decided not to return for another year (not faulting Mellon or Helmer for not coming for a 6th year).

Towson is playing good defense? They gave up 20 to UVA and 19 to Duke in their two games against ACC opponents. Not sure anything would be different if they played Cuse, UNC, or ND

As for Rogers, I'll say this. Billy Dwan in the 2022 class is the son of long time defensive coach and very well respected, Bill Dwan of Johns Hopkins. Billy is one of the top defenders in the 2022 class. If Coach Dwan didnt believe in Coach Rogers and his defensive coaching, I VERY much doubt he would be sending his defender son to play for him in two years. I'll trust his judgement over most.

I attribute this years struggles to kids transferring or graduating (i.e. Fernandez, Mellon, Helmer) and injuries (too many to count). Other teams like ND added players like Thorton, where as Cuse lost key pieces to kids who decided not to return for another year (not faulting Mellon or Helmer for not coming for a 6th year).

I honestly think part of the D's problems are the machine-like precision of ND and UNC offenses - Chris Gray has transformed the UNC offense since his arrival in 2020 and Kavanagh likewise. They immediately expose every weakness and consistently execute the high percentage play with amazing accuracy.
I also think that Cuse has suffered a loss of confidence as a result of the ND and UNC demolitions - the players are almost waiting for something bad to happen. I think mental and physical fatigue have also hurt them - hard to play when you're constantly under pressure and the offense has less possessions. To add to the mix, we have looked slow against UNC and ND - we may simply lack speed or it may be a combination of all of the above.

And its not only Cuse. I thought Duke looked a bit overwhelmed by UNC's speed and dazzling offense last Sunday. They have a suffocating ride and seemed to have an extra gear. Similarly, Duke had to pull off a ridiculous comeback against ND earlier when ND had simply dominated them for 3 and a half quarters. It seems a bit hard to believe with Duke's talent, but UNC and ND have dominated them recently. It is also safe to say that ND and UNC's defenses have been very strong, a surprise in UNC's case based on pre-season assessments. Given the consensus view that Duke's D is stronger than ours, it shouldn't be surprising that we are losing by bigger scores. In our one match-up with Duke, we played a very solid 2nd half defensively with Porter keeping us in the game in the first half.

One final thought - the coaches may simply not know how to deal with several blowout losses having never really had them before. I don't get the sense that the Cuse coaches are big on motivation, psychology etc. as they have never needed to.

If there is a change, Chris Feifs would be an interesting candidate whom I haven't seen mentioned. Vermont just beat Albany 15-10 to win the America East and clinch the NCAAs for the first time in program history.

- Known for defense
- Recruits well in the northeast and especially north of the border
- Tons of ACC coaching experience, won a championship with Carolina
- 32-16 record since 2018
- 5-0 vs. Albany in their last 5 meetings. Also familiar with Stony Brook, Hobart, Navy, Holy Cross, Binghamton, and, of course, Syracuse, having played all these team in recent years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom